SOMA by Frictional Games [PS4]

Finished it yesterday. Great concept. Great story. Really sticks the landing in the end too. That said, the stealth gameplay sections - as few and far between as they were, thank goodness - were all rather poor and kind of annoying at worst. Really felt like the developers implemented those because that's what people expected. I would have preferred a pure adventure game myself.

Also, did anyone else think the dialog was a bit cringeworthy at times? The use of swear words felt particularly unnatural.

Exactly what I feel too. its a damn fine adventure game, the horror is just there because we made horror games before this.

and the swear words are the bane of modern 'Maturity' :rolleyes: ! I fail to see the point

finished it ! Loved everything about it, even the horror parts are fine but
I am very dissappointed by the end :( ! It was what it was ! No twist, no new revelation ! I was hoping for so much :( ! Its a great concept as is but my mind never really went with the send digitsed mind into the sky thing. Its stupid, its not some universal tech that some other life form can rebuild or even observe some day. its just nothing ! I was really hoping the end would bring a new revelation about what is going on and what WAU really wanted to do and what the humans actually did.
The concept of human identity is great but that got presented and digested much before the end :( !

its still the best Adventure game in a long time and reminded me of playing Siberia 2 back in the day. And it was the best sci-fi horror environment ever, the colours and post effects were just wow ! and sound design was totally AAA. This was the best PSN buy in a long time ! Totally recommended and a must play game !

Last edited:
Really? I thought the ending was superb.
It was superb no doubt, it was very realistic, the way it was going to be. Me and my wife stayed up till 2am cos i started telling her the story of the game in thr bed and though she was so tired and kept closing her eyes she didn't let me stop till i finished the whole story :) ! The story is good , gripping in fact and the world is the most fascinating world since Siberia (adventure game where there were mammoths). This is the first world since that game where I just wanted to know all the mysteries that populated it. I had to, I was just fixated !

The game had raised my hopes too high because of its amazing quality and
I had started expecting a twist in the end that would change the whole meaning of the game or such.
Two days later I am very happy with how they kept it realistic and my mind keeps munching on it.

But the game did have some elements which pointed towards a twist.
1)who put this dead-body-in-suit-with a cortex chip in the pilot chair? Who loaded the Simon Jarett scan into it? Who was capable of physical movement to do it?
2)the ghost who makes us destroy the WAU said we had the poison in the body, but we changed the body midway. Do whose plan was it? Johan ross or what was the name? Maybe the game told me and I missed it.

3)WAU's intentions. I know it wanted to keep humanity alive in any way possible, but I wanted a full explanation
4) also WAU had mourned the loss of one of the scientists (this was Johan Ross, I think) did that spark its agenda?

5) how did that ghost get the ability to mess inside WAU's computer networks? I know it was also a structure gel modified person but then he had his own will and that manifested inside networks too! How and who?
6)the poison that killed wau, what was it and how did it get in? Who made it? Who planned our whole revival and stuff? Same question really.

[\spoiler]

Really wanted to know at the end.

I was actually glad they've kept it relatively straight. I'd go as far as saying
the whole WAU ordeal came across as fairly unneccessary. Its primary function was to give the (imo) lame creatures some context. It didn't really add much to the narrative core of the game. In the end, the Wau didn't even prevent the launch of the Ark. The survivors did. They simply opted for a relatively secure 10000 years of power underneath the sea over a risky launch procedure, even if its success meant near endless amounts of solar energy. There was more than enough potential for drama without throwing a rogue A.I. into the mix. The WAU thing could've been explored in a game of its own.

I just finished the game on PC. Really enjoyed it. Great setting, fascinating mystery and I found almost all of it to be an impressive audio / visual experience. Reminiscent of Alien Isolation, and how I wish Bioshock 1/2 had been. ;)

I enjoyed the horror aspects.
Because in a way it wasn't really horror. It was more of a bizarre possibility of an AI doing weird preservation of life / "humanity" of its own strange perception.

I just finished the game on PC. Really enjoyed it. Great setting, fascinating mystery and I found almost all of it to be an impressive audio / visual experience. Reminiscent of Alien Isolation, and how I wish Bioshock 1/2 had been. ;)

I enjoyed the horror aspects.
Because in a way it wasn't really horror. It was more of a bizarre possibility of an AI doing weird preservation of life / "humanity" of its own strange perception.
DO you have answers tot he questions I have? Did the game answer them and i missed them somehow?

DO you have answers tot he questions I have? Did the game answer them and i missed them somehow?
Don't really have answers. Catherine did talk about WAU behavior a few times but didn't directly explain it. It had evolved beyond what they understood after the comet impact. It didn't seem to be able to directly communicate with people.

Good questions about the poison and initial pilot chair. I figured Catherine had orchestrated Simon's download somehow and stayed quiet about it like other things..

I think there are just some intentionally unexplained things here and that is probably the smart way to go from a story standpoint.

Last edited:
Back