So my GF & I broke up after 1.5 years.........

I'm not really anyone special around here, just some dude.

I just finished a long conversation with her about where we were going, and that I wanted to get married in church. She doesn't want that, and so even though we still get along very well, we both agreed that we should go our separate ways.

I don't feel too bad, really. Kind of relieved. But after being with someone for so long it feels weird........

I guess I'm just in a very introspective mood.

sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about that, it's always tough.

Hang in there, it will get better and you will meet someone else. I've had more than my fair share of heart breaks and even though some of 'em took a long time to get over I did get over them and have never been happier. :)

Give it time, don't do anything rash...and if you do feel like doing something crazy and rash sleep on it first.

Ouchie :( I split with my girl a couple o years back after 6 years. Started going out when were 16, and it ain't no fun :cry:

digitalwanderer said:
Sorry to hear about that, it's always tough.

Hang in there, it will get better and you will meet someone else. I've had more than my fair share of heart breaks and even though some of 'em took a long time to get over I did get over them and have never been happier. :)

Give it time, don't do anything rash...and if you do feel like doing something crazy and rash sleep on it first.

You are a very wise man, digi.

An old GF has been circling, waiting for this, & I don't particularly want to get involved with her, even though she's very hot.

BTW, how do you get the smilies/frownies to work? I'm not used to this damn VBullitin.

Go out and have some serious fun, that helps. Do something nice with your friends, just don't sit around and think about the past, that'll make you depressive.

Only 1.5 years? That's not long. You don't really get to know someone until after the 2nd year of living with them.

Powderkeg said:
Only 1.5 years? That's not long. You don't really get to know someone until after the 2nd year of living with them.

Not even after 20, if that someone isn't at all sincere.

bah, i just wrecked a 6-year marriage. 1.5 years of dating is nothing.

Karma Police said:
BTW, how do you get the smilies/frownies to work? I'm not used to this damn VBullitin.
I've just been using the old handcoding of
Code:
:) or :(

I actually have a folder full of emoticon shortcuts with the image tags all preset-up and everything, but that's on my dead computer right now so I'm feeling a bit crippled me ownself.

Don't listen to people telling you 1.5 years ain't no big deal, time is a factor in a relationship but by now means the end-all/be-all factor.

Even breaking up with someone after a few months can bust ya up pretty good, and it sounds like you and her were tight and serious abou a future together...so this is about as bad as a break-up gets. :(

There are better days ahead, and I do get what you're saying about Sinatra...the classics never die for a reason. ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Karma Police said:
So is everyone else, don't ever underestimate your own value...other people will do that for you enough. ;)

Karma Police said:

I just finished a long conversation with her about where we were going, and that I wanted to get married in church. She doesn't want that, and so even though we still get along very well, we both agreed that we should go our separate ways.

I don't feel too bad, really. Kind of relieved. But after being with someone for so long it feels weird........

I guess I'm just in a very introspective mood.

sigh

I don't think you really loved her if you broke with her because of not going to get married in a church. It's a nonsense for me. Wedding day it's only ONE day, being with the one you love is for always, and don't wanna break a relation because one religious ceremony, no?

Apoc said:
Wedding day it's only ONE day, being with the one you love is for always, and don't wanna break a relation because one religious ceremony, no?
No, because it's just symptomatic of their extreme differences in religious views. What happens if/when they have a child and someone wants it christened? It's "only ONE day" to be put up with again, but it's indicative of a larger difference of opinions I'm sure.

Me and my wife had some trouble with religion in the early years of our marriage, but it was more of family member pressures than our own viewpoints. We found the best solution; ignore the family members and raise our family the way we think is right. :)

digitalwanderer said:
No, because it's just symptomatic of their extreme differences in religious views.

More likely it's symptamatic of a fundamental lack of commitment to the relationship.

I don't believe any religion requires a church wedding. That's simply a matter or tradition for most people, but if the issue here is tradition, then it is normally traditional to give the female the wedding that she wants, and the male gets to plan the honeymoon.

Either way, walking away from the person you were willing to commit your life to over something as trivial as where the wedding ceremony takes place is a pretty clear indication that there never really was a serious commitment there in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean getting married in a church and not just the one day. It was getting married to a girl who wants to go to church in general. I'm LDS and she's not religious at all.

She's funny, intelligent, very cute, but hates everything that has to do with religion. She believes that all religions cause more problems in the world than they help solve them.

When we were going out it wasn't a problem, but for me one of the most important things about marraige is having the same general view of the world so that the kids don't get screwed up.

I'll be fine. It's a strange feeling, just because I was very serious with her for 1.5 years but it's only taking me a few days to move on. I guess I was ready to move on a while ago.

Naw that group has as much to do with LDS as Bin Ladan has to do with Islam, not that I'm a fan of LDS either. I view it as a money making thing. I don't want to pay for spirituality. It's not a product you can buy and sell, so why Mormons/LDS usually have a "required" donation is ridiculous, but maybe that's just some of them...

Either way there's 7 billion people out there, so there has got to be a few million marriagable women out there.

Required!! lol ;) Oh, that reminds me, one of these days I really need to get around to doing that. I think it was 1991 when I last gave tithing.

Karma Police said:
She believes that all religions cause more problems in the world than they help solve them.

I don't know about the world, but she certainly seemed to be correct as far as your relationship went.

It's a strange feeling, just because I was very serious with her for 1.5 years but it's only taking me a few days to move on.

Like I said, if such a thing could end your relationship, then you lacked commitment to that relationship in the first place. It's probably a good thing you moved on now, because it was doomed to fail eventually anyways.

Powderkeg said:
Like I said, if such a thing could end your relationship, then you lacked commitment to that relationship in the first place. It's probably a good thing you moved on now, because it was doomed to fail eventually anyways.

Exactly, if religion is more important to him that her, it means she deserves someone better.

Back