So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Are you counting NVIO to that, too?
Yup, though I don't know the specifics of it. R600 is around the GTS in speed. The GTX is ~60% faster than the GTX when not vertex/CPU limited.

Unless G80+NVIO would be 650 mm2 on 80nm (hell no), it's pretty obvious that G80 is faster per mm2. But, like I said, the situation is not so clear with RV670 vs. G92, so ATI must have removed some junk from R600 - probably more than just things related to the memory controller.

And Dave, just don't think I'm bashing ATI here, I'm just disappointed with the (my opinion) totally stupid design decisions concerning R600, or R4xx (missing features) and 5xx (missing speed in regard to the number of trannies involved while being too features-laden) before that. Now it's time to show you can do better, or I'm afraid there won't be much left to see in 1-2 years. And I surely would like the competition to continue, I've been using both vendors and 3dfx before depending on whoever offered the best value for the buck at given moment and that is not about to change (right now moving from X1800 to 8800GT which arrives tomorrow).

Indeed. R600 does have more peak power. However, I assume NVidia is going to push the ALU clocks even higher later on to levels that CPUs run at. I'm hoping ATI does the same as AMD's know-how must be useful here, right?
Compare the ratios between ATI and NVidia GPUs, in terms of SP count:
  • Enthusiast - 320:128 = 2.5:1
  • Mainstream - 120:32 = 3.75:1
So the lower part, RV630, has even more ALUs over its competitor than R600 does, yet it also has a lower ALU:TEX ratio than R600. I think this gives an indication of the cost of ALUs in each architecture, i.e. that ALUs are relatively cheap for ATI.

So ATI hardly needs ALU clock speeds.

Jawed

Heh, why in god's name are they using AMD's fastest processor in a benchmark about CPU utilization? They should be using a X2 3800 or something to make the difference look bigger!

From the story, it was the PR's guy did the test ;) And to me, if it could off-load from the CPU, the X2 3800 or X2 6400 would be almost the same. Only thing I would care was that they use the same base system for the test.

However, I might be wrong too.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3986&Itemid=1

RV670 video playback CPU load benchmarked against 8600GTS and 8800GT.

Jawed

I have deja-vu.
Similar happend with hd2600, ATi try to hide the facts the card performance in games not competative and hype a future what very low percent of the customers care.
If UVD and DX10.1 ATi biggest weapon with rv670 than they has huge problems to understand what the most (99%) of the customers want.

I've been using both vendors and 3dfx before depending on whoever offered the best value for the buck at given moment and that is not about to change (right now moving from X1800 to 8800GT which arrives tomorrow).

Why you not wait than until november 15? this time ATi cards not months away.

I have deja-vu.
Similar happend with hd2600, ATi try to hide the facts the card performance in games not competative and hype a future what very low percent of the customers care.
If UVD and DX10.1 ATi biggest weapon with rv670 than they has huge problems to understand what the most (99%) of the customers want.

So you forget how nVidia did the very same with their GPUs, only difference being they did it comparing against 2900XT which had no UVD?

I have deja-vu.

Very low percentage of the customers care (about UVD)? No. HD video acceleration is all the rage nowadays, and OEM contract wins for AMD show this. Cost and thermals certainly don't hurt either.

So the lower part, RV630, has even more ALUs over its competitor than R600 does, yet it also has a lower ALU:TEX ratio than R600. I think this gives an indication of the cost of ALUs in each architecture, i.e. that ALUs are relatively cheap for ATI.
I don't know if that's a good metric. G84 is basically 1/4 of G80 whereas RV630 is 1/2 of R600 (in terms of ALUs and TUs at least). if you look at transistor cost, the disparity is still almost as big when compared to the flagships.

Given the enormous difference in texturing speed between G80 and R600, there's a good chance that R600 is devoting more space to ALUs than G80 is.

Why you not wait than until november 15? this time ATi cards not months away.

Impatience :) I was waiting for months for a higher-end single-slot card and now I just want to be finally able to play all the games sitting on my table and could care less about few % this way or the other. So in my case, it was all about who comes first with what I need and this time it was nV. And frankly, I don't think RV670 will turn out being better solely based on the experience over the last few years. But then maybe I'm totally wrong, dunno.

Very low percentage of the customers care (about UVD)? No. HD video acceleration is all the rage nowadays, and OEM contract wins for AMD show this. Cost and thermals certainly don't hurt either.

Where are those contracts? Any links? I'm just curious cause I've seen none yet.

And I think the majority could care less about anything video-related in a gaming card. That's like 3% of the decision influence maybe. Especially the HTPC market will rather go for a low-end card just for video capabilities.

AMD has done more than well with OEM contract wins with the past RV6x0 GPUs; more than anything in the low end segment of the market. Otherwise they never would had been able to hit nearly their break even point for their graphics department.

Multimedia related features have always been a driving force in the OEM markets.

This story was with hd2400/2600 too, can you prove me where big OEM wins visible in Q3 marketshare?

Looks like you not understand what i try to say.
ATi leak info about something what very low percent of the customer care,of course i know NV do this too, but g92 based card is here and wipe the floor from ATi's r600 based cards, so proving now rv670 HD playback against g92 is just useless.

(R600 has UVD but its broken.)

Your assumption that few customers care about HD video acceleration is wrong.

This story was with hd2400/2600 too, can you prove me where big OEM wins visible in Q3 marketshare?

How would one go about doing that? All I can do is point you to unconfirmed reports of such, since companies simply do not release this information to the public. Either you choose to believe the NUMEROUS unconfirmed reports or not.

Impatience :) I was waiting for months for a higher-end single-slot card and now I just want to be finally able to play all the games sitting on my table and could care less about few % this way or the other. So in my case, it was all about who comes first with what I need and this time it was nV. And frankly, I don't think RV670 will turn out being better solely based on the experience over the last few years. But then maybe I'm totally wrong, dunno.

Not you the only one who think this, IHV coming first out with a HW thats already a win :smile:

Better in my view.

Jawed

The main problem is: R600's filtering quality can be as good as G80's, but it costs fps. The consequence is: the (in-)famous AI on tricks a little too much. And you cannot turn off AI, because all good optimizations are coupled with AI on. With R520's HQ AF ATi has kicked Nvidia's arse. But G80's biggest problem is: It's not a Radeon. :LOL:

30% increase in profit with only 18% sales up. Lost 0.5% of market share, but profit is there, and with RV670 in the same price position but with double performance things will be better.
That huge profit losing 0.5% market share can only be by OEM contracts.

Q4 will be a litle better, but with time things will get closer ;)

Back