SNES Classic announced

What role is that? They buy from the supplier and sell on to someone who would otherwise buy from the supplier at a lower price. I guess you could argue that they offer an option to secure ownership by paying a premium. That'd be a very capitalistic view though.

In a real free market system shortages will never exist. the price will adjust accordingly.

If a local supermarket chain says "cheerios are free tomorrow". Guess which kind of cereal you will not be able to find on shelves ten minutes after they open? The same goes for anything. Socialized healthcare always involves wait times (shortages) too.

Nintendo decides to price these below market value, their loss...

BTW the market is very very lukewarm. Nintendo shipped a ton more than NES classic which is exactly why I was able to procure 7. Every store i went to had 20-30 left after the initial rush that anybody could have walked in 15 minutes after open and picked up for MSRP. I still have 3, they sell very slowly and for maybe only $30-40 premium. Barely worth it.

I dunno if it's "wrong" but on the scale of wrongs in the world I'd rank it so low as to be inconsequential.

"Oh no, you sold a guy what he wanted at a price he wanted to pay, you monster!"

But yeah I didn't want to respond to all that, should never have posted it!

Allegedly, you don't even legally need an original copy. The sote claims to own them themselves and when you play the rom its as if you were temporarely borrowing the rights to their use remotely. I don't know how acurate that is though.

If that is correct, then I assume that they have a limit of one player per game concurrently. Maybe they should also have it per console they own....

yes, the legality of snesfun is very cloudy. I just wanted to point out its a little different than how emulation typically works.

"Oh no, you sold a guy what he wanted at a price he wanted to pay, you monster!"

I've never met a single person who wanted to pay more than RRP for a product. The words you're are looking for are 'begrudgingly willing and able'.

Yes, 'willing', not 'wanted'. Every single person buying something wants to get the same product for cheaper. At some point they decide the current price is better than waiting in the hopes of finding it cheaper. Holding on to something someone wants until they are willing to pay the price asked is of course perfectly legitimate in a free market and how to make a killing on the commodities market. The ethics/morality of that free market is of course RSPCA material.

Last edited:
I've never met a single person who wanted to pay more than RRP for a product. The words you're are looking for are 'begrudgingly willing and able'.
Most people don't 'want' to work either. Yet the moment you signed that contract, you signed that contract. Captalism is what it is. You vote with your time and money.

I feel like the novelty of these classic Nintendo systems would wear off pretty fast...more of a collectors item than anything.

Unpopular opinion: a lot of old 2d games wouldn't even pass as a decent indie game these days...
Absolutely. And there are so many better games these days that once the nostalgia has worn of, there's little to pull one back. Very, very few old games have I revisited and felt them satisfying, even when not that old.

Yes, 'willing', not 'wanted'. Every single person buying something wants to get the same product for cheaper. At some point they decide the current price is better than waiting in the hopes of finding it cheaper. Holding on to something someone wants until they are willing to pay the price asked is of course perfectly legitimate in a free market and how to make a killing on the commodities market. The ethics/morality of that free market is of course RSPCA material.

Scalping takes the console away from people who could otherwise afford them but now can’t. It’s a shitty thing to do to less well-to-do people and crying “capitalism” doesn’t make it any better.

Scalping takes the console away from people who could otherwise afford them but now can’t. It’s a shitty thing to do to less well-to-do people and crying “capitalism” doesn’t make it any better.
That's a morals/ethics discussion and doesn't belong here. Those wanting to continue this discussion can create a "Are scalpers scum?" thread in RSPCA forum.

I like the SNES Mini even if I didn't have the SNES back then (I still had the Master System) and I've seen the reviews. After all results are imho very good but still I was expecting some low level asic recreation of the original hardware and not an emulation on a modern ARM cpu so I think I'll still consider the original console with original few games. The games inside seems great and even with SuperFX-2 support but I'd liked to see also Doom and Final Fight.

Picked one up today at Target after apparently two shipments in two days. I got the last one. Never had a SNES though so I’m excited to play some of these games.

I sold my last one for literally break even on ebay. There's no demand for these. Initially some profit was available, but it declined fairly quickly. Also, ebay limits how many you can list initially (which I find funny given they advertise them on the front page). That hurt me too, as the prices fall literally by the day.

I dont think it was just that Nintendo produced more, i think honestly a lot of people realized with the NES classic that these old games aren't as cool as you think, and suffer for being blown up on HDTV as well.

I realized what I want is not an emulation station serving extremely pixely blown up games, what I want is these games totally redone on hi def so they look like my mind's eye remembers them. Sort of like a streetfighter 2 port to Xbox or Playstation looked.

I wish Nintendo would do that. Release a collection of redone games on an android box. I'm going to assume that's too much work for the profit though.

Still doesn't change the games though. I don't think 16 bit games can have their gfx improved for high resolution screens that easily. Because everything is sprite based you'd probably have to redo the whole game which essentially means creating a whole new game.

It's easier for 3d games as there is a lot of things you can do to improve IQ before having to touch the actual game.

Still doesn't change the games though. I don't think 16 bit games can have their gfx improved for high resolution screens that easily. Because everything is sprite based you'd probably have to redo the whole game which essentially means creating a whole new game.

Modern emulators come with a plethora of display filters to ease the transition to larger, higher-resolution screens. From accurate representations of the original game on PAL or NTSC CRT TVs, to smoothing, frame interpolation and more. My preference is for a filter that reintroduces the CRT scan line effect and just does a little smoothing on those giant pixels rather than a linear upscale the original videoframe buffer. YMMV.

Back