Smartphone size discussion

Another thing, is it currently even possible to make plastic as scratch proof as Gorilla Glass or something similar? I know there are studies in applying diamond coatings and things like that, along with all sorts of coatings they can work into eyeglasses, but I'm not sure how strong and viable for mass manufacturing those are.

Hard coatings on Blu-ray disks are very strong. I don't see why a manufacturer couldn't use a similar coating on plastic screens.

yeah i have tried to scratch Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 using srewdriver and it failed. Cant scratch at all.
The coating also flexible enough. I can bend the disc and its all still ok (the coating and the disc).

nice to see the expression on my friend face when im doing that lol.

plastic front (gorilla glass sucks, 1/3rd of UK iphone etc owners have a cracked screen on their phone)
A plastic front that doesn't crack does you no good if the LCD behind it cracks twice as easily without gorilla glass.

OLED substrates need shatter protection too at the moment, but hopefully the flexible substrates that Samsung is working on will pan out soon.
big battery ~3x the size they are currently (I dont mind if the phone weighs 250gm)
I don't see what's wrong with having a swappable battery if you're that prone to forgetting to charge once a day or not being able to. I'd rather have an extra battery at home and in the office to use in an emergency than carry that bulk everywhere I go. Frankly, I'd probably forget to charge with a bigger battery just as often anyway.

I'm not sure how people get their phones filled, I'm using a One S which has 8GB if my memory serves me, and it hasn't ever ran out on me - I do for example empty my photos and videos regularly to my computer and have usually just couple albums of music in there - there's plenty of streaming services I can use, or netradios.

All well and good, providing you have a broadband connection. I've been to many a place where I barely get a basic phone signal, let alone a 3G signal. Not to mention the limited amount of data some people have on their contracts.

Wifi connections aren't exactly freely available in places outside of urban areas, either.

My current phone has 48GB of storage in total (16GB internal + 32GB SD card) and I've got around 10GB of free space on there. Mostly MP3 and videos (plus various nandroid backups if I'm messing around with custom ROMs). Do I need all of these files at any given time? Nope. But it certainly makes life easier not having to worry about what you do and do not have available to you.

Lack of microSD expansion is a deal breaker for me.

(Sorry, I seem to think I have this discussion every few months on this forum. :smile:)

I do admit it's kinda hard to remember that people have limited amount of data or that coverage drops under 3G even though we don't have full 3G coverage in Finland either - but still, 1 album takes on decent MP3 quality around 100MB of space or under, you can have quite notable music library without sacrificing too much space.

if you using not-too-good earphone/headphone, space also can be saved by encoding musics to AAC or OGG. They are good for low bitrate (under 160Kbps).

@mariner. I don't see why the LCD screen is twice as likely to crack. Citation please.
I've got the feeling glass is good and plastic bad for the same reason as metal good plastic bad. I
E its purely cause it feels cheap even though technically metal is the inferior material for a phone. The weird thing is ppl get this inferior metal casing and then proceed to cover it up with a protector anyway
:)
Weight well at the moment most days my phone is close to running out. Hours of browsing on bus/boat/bed GPS etc is a killer. Old love to wake up in the middle of the night and recharge the other battery but its not practical. Better just a single batt that I can recharge fully and have a couple if days usage. Eg tonight I'm not even sure if the place I'm going to has power. It saiz not 24hr a day.

The reason to like glass instead of plastic is not because of scratch or some other technical reason. It simply looks and feels better. Same thing with metal instead of plastic. It feels more solid. If I'm going to buy a device that will be in front of my face more than anything else, it better look and feel good. Even if it's slightly more fragile (not that I believe it is, but just for the sake of argument.)

Oh my... matching this discussion, Samsung just announced:

Galaxy Mega 5.8
Galaxy Mega 6.3

I guess this finally fills all gaps between Tablets and Phones.
:rolleyes:

Oh my... matching this discussion, Samsung just announced:

Galaxy Mega 5.8
Galaxy Mega 6.3

I guess this finally fills all gaps between Tablets and Phones.
:rolleyes:

Didn't Notes already do that? Apparently the Megas are the exact same as Note models would be but without Stylus

It's Galaxy Grand successor, which is a big phone with probably a cheap soc (Grand uses Broadcom) and low PPI display (Grand 5" 800x480, Mega 960x540).
Probably targeted at developing countries since it's a dual sim phone. A lot cheaper than Note or S3.

yups, it have 2 mics.
its already confirmed by sony themselves that Video record is stereo on GB but mono on ICS.

its also a real stereo, left/right. Not just fake stereo with left+right that sound the same.

@mariner. I don't see why the LCD screen is twice as likely to crack.
LCDs have two very thin glass substrates around the liquid crystal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display
That's why broken LCDs always look like shattered glass, even when they have plastic protectors. The Gorilla Glass on smartphones is far stronger than the sustrates, and protects it the same way that you can use another layer of glass to protect GG.

Corning is actually also a major manufacturer of LCD substrates:
http://www.electroiq.com/articles/s...-corning-renew-lcd-substrates-agreements.html

I admit gorrila glass is brilliant

For screen repairers
Unfortunately not a joke
Just ask the millions (no exagerration) of gorilla glass users with a broken screen

I admit gorrila glass is brilliant

For screen repairers
Unfortunately not a joke
Just ask the millions (no exagerration) of gorilla glass users with a broken screen

And what it was replaced by as clear as glass plastic or another type of glass? Do you have any evidence it would lower broken screens?

One big reason could be the fact that for example Android doesn't natively support MicroSD cards

Most Android phones had microSD slots. All galaxy so far and i remember most HTC had it too by the past.

- Why buy the 32go model if you can buy the 16gb model + a 32/64Gb microSD. or even the 16Gb if only 8+32gb is enough for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back