Smartphone size discussion

For screen repairers
Unfortunately not a joke
Just ask the millions (no exagerration) of gorilla glass users with a broken screen
I can't speak for other phones, but there are plenty of iPhone repair shops that will do it for $60 or so. I don't know whether repairing it is easy or hard. $60 sounds like a pretty reasonable price to me? For a DIYer, there are kits on Amazon for $34.

Most Android phones had microSD slots. All galaxy so far and i remember most HTC had it too by the past.

- Why buy the 32go model if you can buy the 16gb model + a 32/64Gb microSD. or even the 16Gb if only 8+32gb is enough for you.

Yes, but the support was always made by the phone manufacturer, not native by the OS.

I personally just don't see the need for microSD on a phone these days, though I've had phones with it too.

Oh my... matching this discussion, Samsung just announced:

Galaxy Mega 5.8
Galaxy Mega 6.3

I guess this finally fills all gaps between Tablets and Phones.
:rolleyes:

I thought all their phones fit into the gap between phones and tablets, while none fits into the "phone" category.

gorilla glass sucks
I admit gorrila glass is brilliant
:LOL:
Just ask the millions (no exagerration) of gorilla glass users with a broken screen
I don't know if many of them blame GG for that, but if they do, then they are just ingrates. It protects the LCD, which is even more fragile.

Sure, my old Treo survived some heavy falls on concrete, but that's because the screen is small, inset, and surrounded by a thick body. Much of that can be replicated by a silicone phone case. But if you want a thin phone with a big screen, phones would be even more fragile without gorilla glass.

WRT - Gorilla glass. All I can say is that thus far it is quite impressive. More so than any scratch resistant plastic (or other material) faced phone I've seen. I regularly have loose coins and sometimes keys in the same pocket as my smartphone and the screen is still flawless. Hell, just for the heck of it I took a serrated knife to it and tried to scratch it. Then used some nails and screws. Absolutely fabulous. I no longer worry about the screen of my phone when in a hurry.

Regards,
SB

Yes, but the support was always made by the phone manufacturer, not native by the OS.

I personally just don't see the need for microSD on a phone these days, though I've had phones with it too.

Im on the same boat, well i have add a 32GB MicroSD on mine, and i will never fill it ( if i have 8 on intern and 8 on extern filled, thats the max ) .

But i know too peoples who will fill 32GB quickly.

Anyway, i use it for flash my OS on the phones, and keep the files in case i need revert to an old, keep some backup. large camera HD movies before transfer them etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah 16mb is plenty on a phone.

16 megabytes? What decade are you living in? :p

Regardless of your typo I agree that 16GB of storage is plenty on a phone. For people who don't need more than 16GB storage.

I just don't understand the whole argument by some posters on this thread that nobody could ever need more than 8/16GB when so many people patently do.

For example, I'm taking a holiday to a villa in Spain with a group of friends at the end of May. I'm taking a portable bluetooth speaker on which we will all be able to play our music around the pool using our phones (I've got around 20GB of MP3s on my SD card at present). For the evenings, I'll also be taking a wide selection of MP4 files to play on a TV via my phone's HDMI output so we can watch a selection of movies if we want to do so. My phone has 16GB internal + 32GB microSD but I'll probably need to get another 32GB microSD for a better selection of movies/TV shows. We'll have a whole media setup with just my phone, a charger and a HDMI cable (plus an extra microSD card). No bulk and easy to carry.

Therefore, I need microSD expansion as well as more than 48GB storage at the moment.

If all phones came with 64GB internal storage, it might be a different matter but, when I've got over 20GB of MP3 files alone, saying 8/16GB is enough is just silly.

20GB is over 200 hours on decent quality if I didn't check wrong, that's over 8 days if playing 24/7 without getting same song twice, I'd hardly say you need that much music even for a holiday ;)

Well, the issue is that we like to have a selection of media to listen to or to watch.

When we get together, we've often spent a whole evening having a few beers, reminiscing and searching around spotify for songs from our youth as well as other more recent music. We won't have any internet connection in this villa so, with my 20+GB of MP3 files, we'll hopefully be able to reminisce in a similar way without spotify!

Also, a wide selection of movies and TV shows will mean there is something to watch in the event that the weather is bad. Hoping for the best with the weather, obviously, but prepared for the worst!

No syrptise to the 10s of millions of ppl with shattered phones.
Do you really want to go the route of posting arbitrary number of the day? There's plenty of web pages that will show the opposite, but that's not the point: they're all non-scientific tests with laughably low sample size. Until some outfit buys 100 phones with gorilla glass and 100 without, and with similar body construction and LCD size, and does controlled testing, the data is pretty much anecdotal, not adjusted for relative market size etc.

It may very well be that gorilla glass is a bit worse than plastic. Or it may not. The fact is that gravity can inflict a lot of mechanical stress on an LCD that's surrounded by a 2mm bezel. Neither glass or plastic are going to fix that.

http://m.androidcentral.com/obvious-test-obvious-glass-iphone-shatters-worse-plastic-galaxy-s-ii

No syrptise to the 10s of millions of ppl with shattered phones.

Yeah 16mb is plenty on a phone. I've got about 50 albums. 13films & lots of apps and space left over.

And yet look at the same tests done by the same guy with a Nokia 920 using Gorilla glass and it comes out flawlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH4xYN9I5Kw

He actually had to go fairly extreme in order to damage it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3c8il_Q6SU

And that's with throwing it up what looks like about 12-15 meters into the air. No damage to the glass. To actually damage the gorilla glass he had to forcefully throw it into a curved concrete surface. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen to very many people's phones.

As mentioned, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence.

The glass did poorly on the iPhone 4s because the glass is edge to edge without any protective bezel on the edges of the glass. It likely would have done far better if it had as much of a protective bezel as the Galaxy S II did.

Regards,
SB

@mariener, like I said nI have 50albums & 13films currently on my device.
so whats that? 500songs, you maybe have ~1500songs. Do you have every single song you want? no. well youre also stuffed just like me (true I may have ~98% coverage and you ~99% coverage of what we might want to listen)
solution if that 98% aint good enuf. buy a local simcard, grab the song off the internet. 99.999% coverage.

Why do you continue to blame GG for shattered screens?
because of the simple fact is that GG, whilst good against scratches is brittle. Comeon you must of read about this before

Do you really want to go the route of posting arbitrary number of the da
so all these cellphone glass repairers dont actually do anything?
ok heres a challenge find a single survey, cherrypick if you must, find the lowest percentage of owners who have had brojken screen on their GG phone.
the thing is, 10s million of ppl have experienced it (me not yet, fingers crossed) yet theres not much outcry, contrast this with the cellphone fire battery thing

there is hope, new plastics (just gotta be cool), and sapphire (which has no probs sounding cool), and would be nice, speaking as an old sapphire hunter

because of the simple fact is that GG, whilst good against scratches is brittle. Comeon you must of read about this before

so all these cellphone glass repairers dont actually do anything?
ok heres a challenge find a single survey, cherrypick if you must, find the lowest percentage of owners who have had brojken screen on their GG phone.
the thing is, 10s million of ppl have experienced it (me not yet, fingers crossed) yet theres not much outcry, contrast this with the cellphone fire battery thing

there is hope, new plastics (just gotta be cool), and sapphire (which has no probs sounding cool), and would be nice, speaking as an old sapphire hunter
I actually impressed that only 10M have had issues with their screen. In a market where 1B have been sold, that's only 1%.

I must have missed the global outcry about burning batteries, but even so, a burning battery seems to be slightly more problematic in terms of safetely than a broken screen?

Plastic will never be a solution as long as the screen itself is not able to bend and I believe Sapphire wouldn't be an improvement over Gorilla Glass. Sapphire might actually be worse than GG (Sapphire is much more brittle than GG). I'm also not sure how capable they are in making plastic scratch proof, but from what I know about eyeglasses is that plastic lenses are still much more prone to scratching than their glass counterpart.

Your argument is a little like saying that there have been a lot of car crashes since we have had crumple zones and that's why we should do away with crumple zones. I think we should be grateful for something like GG and it's competitors. Without them we would have a lot more scratches and a lot more cracked screens. Plastic just isn't good enough and Sapphire has always been too expensive (that's changing). And Sapphire is more brittle than GG.

EDIT: As for your remark about the battery. Yes of course people are much more concerned about that. I wouldn't want my nuts to be scorched because my phone battery exploded. A cracked screen doesn't really compare to physical harm and a fire hazard.

@silentguy you first doubted my 10s of millions number and now you think its possible, progress

See recall section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
Big news a few years ago.
Sure a fire/exploding battery is worse than a shattered screen. My point is the odds of it happening were orders of magnitude lower than a cracked screen, yet there's this huge public outcry. Iirc no one died from a phone battery. This gets back to an old bugbear of mine. Humans aren't good at doing cost vs benefit ratios, I
E we invest I'm things like terrorism cause they're sexy even though the effort would be more productive elsewhere

With bendable plastic like
http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/01/10/samsung-shows-off-bendy-smartphone/
No doubt feels cheap ;)
You're prolly right about sapphire being more brittle than glass. Didn't check. Glass doesn't bend readily as well being crystal and that's why they crack. A little flexing in a pants pocket from sitting on it. And the a drop. You know the things that happen every day. Here's a hint to the makers of gig. Stop showing the tests where it does well instead show where it doesn't. To use your car anology. If you're a drag car. Show it driving on a normal road. Yes I know it can drive quarter mile straight and fast but let's see how it handles those curves

Last edited by a moderator:
@silentguy you first doubted my 10s of millions number and now you think its possible, progress
Just throwing out some random unsubstantiated numbers like everybody else.

Sure a fire/exploding battery is worse than a shattered screen. My point is the odds of it happening were orders of magnitude lower than a cracked screen, yet there's this huge public outcry. Iirc no one died from a phone battery.
The right way to look at it is to multiply the odds of the event happening by the odds of hurting someone when it happens.
It would come out like this: P(hurt by battery fire) > P(hurt by terrorism) > P(hurt by cracked screen)

Other than that, there isn't much to say, is there? The whole world has moved to glass anyway for any kind of decent phone. That's because the negatives (if there) don't exceed the positives: glass simply looks better. Just try fusing the LCD panel with a glass cover to get the pixels as close as possible to the surface.

Consumers expect shiny for a gadget that's in their face the whole day. (I'm one of them.)

No the correct way is
Odds x damage equals total damage (actually num x amount)
What you're doing is the old
Steal millions from thousands ppl in investment fraud gets 6months jail being white collar vs 2years jail for beating someone up and nicking a hundred bucks from there wallet, blue collar crime.
Wrt phones yes in a single case phone exploding is worse than a single case cracked screen, but the share greater chance that you screen will crack means its a greater problem

BTW if some of posts are hard to understand than normal its partly due to typing on a 4.ùinch screen.
Back on topic

Back