Smartphone advice

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Well, my contract with my current cell phone provider has come to an end and my status is pay-as-I-go. As much as I enjoy my phone, I'd like to move on to something a little more advanced. I've decided I'd like to get a smartphone of some sort. Unfortunately, I know close to NOTHING on the topic, outside of big name products like the iPhone. I see a lot of upcoming clones, like the Samsung Instinct. I did notice a majority of the iPhone's competition uses MicroSD 2 for storage, and when held in the same light as the iPhone, the latter typically dominates seeing as 16 gb is pretty hard to beat. But I would imagine a lot of that space is used for the MP3 aspect of the phone. I already have an iPod, so I don't necessarily need a mix of the two. I also looked at a few Blackberry Pearls, but they didn't seem as enticing as I imagined. What's your opinions? I like a lot of the features of the iPhone, but frankly and it may sound a bit silly, I prefer a Windows based OS. Does anyone know of any upcoming smartphones that have piqued their interest?

Thanks-

Ink

FWIW I would stay far, FAR away from WM 5.0 or 6.0. I bought an 8525 after years of treos and it's such absolute garbage it's not funny (running both 5.0 and 6.0). About a dozen taps just to enter a calendar item and no threaded SMS/IMs. IMHO Windows mobile is horrendous.

A great smartphone should be one-handed for many things (as Treos were).

That said I've no idea what my next will be since Palm has gone bad...LG Voyager? iPhone?

Probably a crackberry world edition.

if your in the uk you could/should try the HTC S730, its a very cool phone its was the one that i was using till i lost it last month....

its a small windows candy bar slider

d'

I'm planning to get a new smartphone later this year and I'm currently watching out for the 3G iPhone, Samsung Instinct, Samsung Glyde, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, rumored Blackberry touch. I'm sure LG will also have something new later this year too, but I don't know what.

The Xperia X1 will run Windows Mobile 6.1 which is supposedly a big improvement over 6.0 despite the 0.1 increase. That said I haven't used a Windows Mobile device so that's just what I've read.

If you're looking for something out now with a keyboard/keypad then the Blackberry Curve and Pearl are both nice.

...rumored Blackberry touch...

They're sticking with the keypad, aren't they? Blackberry Bold doesn't have any touchscreen functionality, does it?

When does this Android stuff start coming out? I'll probably get a 3G iphone when it hits Canada, but I like the concept of Android. Just depends on the quality of the actual phone.

They're sticking with the keypad, aren't they? Blackberry Bold doesn't have any touchscreen functionality, does it?

When does this Android stuff start coming out? I'll probably get a 3G iphone when it hits Canada, but I like the concept of Android. Just depends on the quality of the actual phone.
There were recently rumors of a touchscreen Blackberry coming later this year. Not the Bold, but I don't remember the name. I don't know if it is true or if it would have a slide out keyboard.

I believe Android is scheduled for release later this year.

While not really a smart phone, I recently upgraded my phone to an Env-2 (which are on sale now so it only actually cost me about 30$ to upgrade to it from my old generic flip phone) and couldn't be happier with it.

A guy at work has a iPhone, looks pretty neat. My main concern with the iPhone is iTunes, I dont really like to be forced to use certain software to transfer music. I´m not into the smartphone world so I dont know much about other models but when the 3g iPhone comes out I´ll think I want one (if it has gps). Though only a import from the states, no way im going to spend 700+ euro's on a sim free phone.

Back