"SLI patch" author interview

trinibwoy said:
There has to be some dedicated stuff in there to optimize inter-GPU communication.

Very possible.

SLI is a brand and if people started reporting "SLI is crap - it never works on my ATi/ULI/Via motherboard" the brand would be hurt significantly.

That's what I meant in my post above as well, yeah. Good image == $$$$.

EDIT:

Geo, it's not only about recoup of investment, it's more about support. Imagine them have to look for workarounds for all the problems occuring on different chipsets/platforms - that's pretty much the definition of hell on earth for any company.

Last edited by a moderator:
And even more often, they only buy an asus "premium" or such high end motherboard to get a bigger e-penis, and because they wrongly believe it'll be a better buy than some mobo at half the price. even if they'll never do SLI, or they even put an ATI card.

i went with deluxe board cause im not a hardware expert and don't like aggravations and problems and the asus a8n sli was considered bulletproof (plenty of articles on it). i went with ATI X1900XTX cause it was the best card IMO. and i did it all because i wanted the best i could get at least once in my life, and the fact that as a batchelor with some years behind me in the post college life, i can easily afford to avoid some aggravations and problems with money. since my old rig was over 4 years old, and impossible to decently upgrade, it was way past time to do so...AND i could actually afford to do it again anytime i wanted anyway (no wife, kids)

had little to do with e-penis in reality. it was nice to crow about it at first, but i think that had more to do with it firing up right away and working...i had my doubts. heard horror stories.

so anyway...what is the bottom line on this SLI patch? you can run dual ATI cards on SLI rig now? or what?

Cartoon Corpse said:
so anyway...what is the bottom line on this SLI patch? you can run dual ATI cards on SLI rig now? or what?

No you could run Nvidia cards on an ATI x-fire board.

You could already run x-fire on a SLi board from what I heard. Though mayhaps that changed afterwards.

Sxotty said:
No you could run Nvidia cards on an ATI x-fire board.

You could already run x-fire on a SLi board from what I heard. Though mayhaps that changed afterwards.

really? i could get an xfire card along with my xtx and run xfire? (not SLI) on my SLI board?

is my 512M gcard being fully utilized by game like oblivion anyway?

Cartoon Corpse said:
really? i could get an xfire card along with my xtx and run xfire? (not SLI) on my SLI board?

You have to find older chipset drivers, dont know how far back you'll have to go.
Nvidia fixed that (bug?) in later drivers.

I think ATi fixed that "Bug". Certainly not NV. And I`ve yet to see a believable success story about doing XFire on a SLi board. I`m guessing that if it were possible, at least one of the billions of reviewers out there would have tried/done it.

Back