SIXAXIS Rumble Confirmed By SCEA Employee

Could devs have already added rumble to current games in anticipation that eventually the PS3 would get it back? So for example I buy the new controller, pop Resistance back in and discover that rumble was there all along.

I'd wage my money on that.

is it maybe possible they are clearing stock of the now current 60gb boxes for 499 to come out with a new box in september With the new controller inside the box ?

Could devs have already added rumble to current games in anticipation that eventually the PS3 would get it back? So for example I buy the new controller, pop Resistance back in and discover that rumble was there all along.

I doubt it, otherwise someone would have leaked that info. I bet the new rumble has a new API that Sony didn't have access to until the agreement. I'm not fan of rumble, but maybe they can patch some of the bigger games to use it.

Something funny and interesting I ve noticed btw......my friends who own a PS3 for some time they havent noticed there was no rumble until I ve accidentally told them.

My friend's cousin: Hey your controller is lighter than my PS2's
My friend: Nah it is the same
cousin: I am telling you it is lighter
friend: Its just you
Me: you know the reason the controller is lighter is because there is no rumble inside
friend: There is no rumble??
Me: No. You havent noticed?

This happened today:

me: there is this exhibition about videogames and there are indications that Sony will finally add rumble on the PS3 controller
my cousin: What is rumble?
me: the controller vibrates
cousin: Well MY controller has it....
me: no it doesnt.
cousin: I am telling you it has it
me: There is no vibration. I ve held your controller, and other people's controller.
cousin: But mine has it
me: There is no god damn vibration in your controller. Sony initially decided not to include it because they had been sued by another company for violating the patent of the technology. I ve readabout it over the internet and playied with your PS3 as well as others'
cousin: .........
me: You havent noticed havent you? :LOL:

I never noticed it missing either. I'm so used to PC gaming with key/mouse and no rumble that it's never been a must have for me. Sometimes it's actually pretty overdone and annoying or distracting. Hopefully if it happens we will be able to set the strength.

is it maybe possible they are clearing stock of the now current 60gb boxes for 499 to come out with a new box in september With the new controller inside the box ?

Doesn't make sense, 80 GB is coming next month without rumble
and more importantly they don't need clearance for introducing rumble.

Sure it is. Why would there be a cross around left stick? It only makes sense for d-pad.

Plus there is no way Sony would imitate MS with asymmetric sticks, so bluntly.
Maybe it has something to do with touchsense.

From what I can gleen from reading the things it's suppose to be capable of, I am guessing it won't all fit in the middle of the controller.

It's is supposed to be able to apply force to the analogue stick giving it a "force feedback" rather than simple rumble effect in the previous controllers.

Again, I do believe it is fake though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's is supposed to be able to apply force to the analogue stick giving it a "force feedback" rather than simple rumble effect in the previous controllers.
No, that's not how it works.

It still only rumbles, but offers better contorl over the motors. A true force feedback for the sticks would be incredibly complicated to implement reliably in something as small as a joypad. Besides it would consume a lot of power which wouldn't be practical for a battery operated device.

Again, I do believe it is fake though.
You bet it's fake. Crappy photochop if ever I saw one.

I'm guessing it's done on purpose to generate traffic for the site.
Peace.

It still only rumbles, but offers better contorl over the motors.
Motor, singular. TouchSense uses a single motor with a wider range of motions It consumes more power than a single motor from an ordinary dual-eccentric-weight system, but no more than a dual-motor setup.

Force Feedback, as you rightly state, basically needs motors to drive resistance of the thumbsticks. It's beyond the limits of the gaming controller setup I think, but technically it may not be too hard. You don't have to be able to resist the player's motions absolutely - only offer some resistance. Electromagnets might manage this effectively enough.

I am sure everyone would be rushing out to buy them anyway, but the improved motion sensing seems to be taking the piss.

What happens if you don't care about rumble, you still have to buy a sodding new controller anyway :LOL:

Rumor: Rumble Sixaxis in developer hands
  • We can confirm that prototypes of the new rumble-enabled controllers have made their way to various Sony developers. Information on these controllers is still closely held by Sony and their partners, but an official announcement and unveiling is expected in the next two to three months. Leipzig is the most obvious guess for this unveiling, but we believe Sony is going to withhold the controllers until they can launch them to coincide with support from enough developers.
  • We can also confirm that new versions of the Sixaxis controller are quietly replacing the original controllers launched with the console. Hardware updates occur regularly throughout the lifespan of controllers; in this case, Sony has improved the fidelity of motion sensing in the controller. The original controllers apparently suffered of too much of a dead zone.
[ http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/08/01/ps3-controller-news-and-rumors/ ] ...

Back