SIXAXIS Rumble Confirmed By SCEA Employee

The words 'directly to me' are (directly? to me anyway) the same as 'this incredibly dangerous virus was confirmed by IBM and Microsoft"

If the best they can do is add rumble to the standard SIXAXIS then please, keep it. Surely their deal with Immersion can net something better than the standard rumble "feedback" that we've had for far too long. And surely they can come up with a new controller design, preferable one that has the solid sturdy feel of the 360 controller (and maintains that feel even after a few weeks or regular use *glares at his SIXAXISs*). I mean I'm sure some people will be happy with just that, but, to me, having used the SIXAXIS and 360 controller extensively, you can keep your rumble. Give me something new, in a new package at that.

So that's a third party device, like the third party tilt controller for the PS2. Interesting, but I don't think it'll really work before Sony supports it themselves, or? Then again it could of course still indicate that Sony is going to do it also.

So that's a third party device, like the third party tilt controller for the PS2. Interesting, but I don't think it'll really work before Sony supports it themselves, or? Then again it could of course still indicate that Sony is going to do it also.
I think it's very unlikely that that technology is only used for PS1/2 backward compat ;) Unless some PS3 games support TouchSense it makes no sense that the peripheral manufacturer releases that product, and right now we know no games that say so.

I think it's very unlikely that that technology is only used for PS1/2 backward compat ;) Unless some PS3 games support TouchSense it makes no sense that the peripheral manufacturer releases that product, and right now we know no games that say so.

Touchsense doesn't make much sense for backward compatibility only usage.

Any ideas when they will officially announce it? Seems kinda strange they didn't announce it at E3 maybe waiting for TGS.

Liepzig is where it's at this year.

I am guessing they are going to do the old "We are adding "touchsense" to the controller.... and guess what, you can buy them now" angle rather than the look what you can buy in a couple of months stuff.

They will need a game that will really show it off. And it needs to be a big game first party game basically. Before they have that ready there is no point to launching the controller.

Maybe next year with Killzone.

They will need a game that will really show it off. And it needs to be a big game first party game basically. Before they have that ready there is no point to launching the controller.

Considering Metal Gear Solid (2 and 3) made one of the first serious uses of rumble, it's a distinct possibility that MGS4 could do the same for TouchSense. If that's what they're actually using, which I hope they are and not rumble.

Even if they cannot supply one with development units in time, multiplat titles already have enough support for basic rumble so I doubt that they really need to wait a game to show off.

Even if they cannot supply one with development units in time, multiplat titles already have enough support for basic rumble so I doubt that they really need to wait a game to show off.

To really take advantage of the touch sense stuff you have to redo everything using their custom middleware.

Look toward the end of this white paper to get an idea of the work needed to prepare next gen rumble for a game.
http://www.immersion.com/ng/Next-Gen_TouchSense_Oct06V2-lr.pdf

If they just took some 3rd party game designed for the dual motor 360 controller the touchsense API could convert that and still use it but it would not have nearly the same impact or expose the full range of movement. It would be like the equivalent of using last gen textures in a next gen game.

In order to get people excited enough to move them to buy this new slightly more expensive controller, they need a show piece game.

Anyone who hasn't read the white paper yet should read it. It is probably going to be very relevant for the upcoming controller.

Considering Metal Gear Solid (2 and 3) made one of the first serious uses of rumble, it's a distinct possibility that MGS4 could do the same for TouchSense. If that's what they're actually using, which I hope they are and not rumble.

Certainly Kojima is one of the most vocal rumble apologists and has explicitly stated that he was disappointed it wasn't in the sixaxis and hoped it would return someday. So if it does come, then even MGS4 won't necessarily be the first game to support it, it will most definitely support it.

To really take advantage of the touch sense stuff you have to redo everything using their custom middleware.

Look toward the end of this white paper to get an idea of the work needed to prepare next gen rumble for a game.
http://www.immersion.com/ng/Next-Gen_TouchSense_Oct06V2-lr.pdf

If they just took some 3rd party game designed for the dual motor 360 controller the touchsense API could convert that and still use it but it would not have nearly the same impact or expose the full range of movement. It would be like the equivalent of using last gen textures in a next gen game.

In order to get people excited enough to move them to buy this new slightly more expensive controller, they need a show piece game.

Anyone who hasn't read the white paper yet should read it. It is probably going to be very relevant for the upcoming controller.

I would say there is more than enough demand for "last gen rumble". So I say rumble first show off later, although I don't mind anyway.

http://immr.client.shareholder.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=253387

The Immersion release says "Katana designs, manufactures, and in September 2007, will begin distributing peripherals for Sony PlayStation products in North America. Under the terms of the license, these products will now bear Immersion's Feel The Game® TouchSense® Technology logo." Doesn't that mean the new rumble should come out in September?

There is also a video showing Haze's development where there appears to be a blurred out PS3 controller that moved on a table. That game is supposed to come in November.

I'm guessing Heavenly Sword will use this feature. Ninja Theory guys can feel free to come out and tell me how wrong I am. :smile:

Why put it in the controller though? Why not have a separate small bluetooth device(s) that you put under your feet or around your neck?

Short of there being some upcoming device we don't know about yet, it looks like it's going to be announced at the Leipzig Games Convention:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6174962.html
GS UK: You said something really special would be coming for PS3 at this year's Leipzig. Any more you can tell us about that?
DR: ...

GS UK: Is it going to be something on the software side? A download?
DR: None of those.

GS UK: OK. So peripheral-based, perhaps?
DR: Possibly. Possibly a peripheral.

GS UK: Thanks for your time.

Could devs have already added rumble to current games in anticipation that eventually the PS3 would get it back? So for example I buy the new controller, pop Resistance back in and discover that rumble was there all along.

Back