Single DIMM 2GB Sticks Launched For Enthusiast

Haven't tried in single channel, haven't even tried with a single stick. Was going to try originally when I thought they just thought they plain wouldn't do PC6400, but after reading forum posts online a bit, I found out it wasn't entirely uncommon to have to go over 2V when using multiple sticks at PC6400 speed. I'd rather not RMA, so since it's working I'll just use it till they die. It's not like I trust the Intel stock cooler to run my e6300 at 2.8ghz anyway, so I don't need to push the ram to its max.
I got my gskill ram because it was about the cheapest PC6400 1GB sticks around.

They're rated a 2V for PC6400 (my motherboard ends up giving out 1.98V) but I need 2.1V for stability at that speed.
Could be my motherboard, it's a Gigabyte P965 S3, and it needs extra voltage to the pci express slot for some reason when I'm overclocking in order to maintain stability. It appears to have some kind of autooverclocking of the pci express slot though that I can't disable (I can do Auto, Fast, Faster, or Fastest I think), but it doesn't have that problem at stock speeds.

Honestly, I've generally used generic ram in the past with fairly good results once the volts are pumped up (can usually do much better than rated), whereas my experience with major ram brands has actually been negative and I can seldom push them past what they're rated. Heh, better quality control, they make sure you only get what you're paying for.

Haven't tried in single channel, haven't even tried with a single stick. Was going to try originally when I thought they just thought they plain wouldn't do PC6400, but after reading forum posts online a bit, I found out it wasn't entirely uncommon to have to go over 2V when using multiple sticks at PC6400 speed. I'd rather not RMA, so since it's working I'll just use it till they die. It's not like I trust the Intel stock cooler to run my e6300 at 2.8ghz anyway, so I don't need to push the ram to its max.
I got my gskill ram because it was about the cheapest PC6400 1GB sticks around.

They're rated a 2V for PC6400 (my motherboard ends up giving out 1.98V) but I need 2.1V for stability at that speed.
Could be my motherboard, it's a Gigabyte P965 S3, and it needs extra voltage to the pci express slot for some reason when I'm overclocking in order to maintain stability. It appears to have some kind of autooverclocking of the pci express slot though that I can't disable (I can do Auto, Fast, Faster, or Fastest I think), but it doesn't have that problem at stock speeds.

Honestly, I've generally used generic ram in the past with fairly good results once the volts are pumped up (can usually do much better than rated), whereas my experience with major ram brands has actually been negative and I can seldom push them past what they're rated. Heh, better quality control, they make sure you only get what you're paying for.

Its your Mother Board. maybe a bios will help? but not all MBs play nice with diff ram, and Asus is the worst for that... grrr, to get a rated speed...

Its your Mother Board. maybe a bios will help? but not all MBs play nice with diff ram, and Asus is the worst for that... grrr, to get a rated speed...

Have the latest bios.
My motherboard is rated for a 1066fsb though, and 800mhz memory. Haven't heard any other problems from people with a gigabyte p965 s3, or the gskill memory for that matter.

G.Skill's lower end memory is just that..... lower end. I wouldn't trust it for the most part.

My Geil 667 on the other hand. I love my babies, stock volt of 1.8v can do DDR2 800 and just a small bump to 2.0v and I can hit 1066! Oh my precious.

Hmm, you bought single sticks and matched them? Interesting. Even though you shouldn't or wouldn't think you'd run into problems, for some reason I've seen much great amount of people having issues when not buying matched sticks. Also, heat spreaders get put on lots of low end memory these days, its not exactly expensive to do and does a bit to boost the image of the sticks in both looks and performance.

Hmm, you bought single sticks and matched them? Interesting. Even though you shouldn't or wouldn't think you'd run into problems, for some reason I've seen much great amount of people having issues when not buying matched sticks. Also, heat spreaders get put on lots of low end memory these days, its not exactly expensive to do and does a bit to boost the image of the sticks in both looks and performance.

I was actually pretty surprised to see heat spreaders on them.

Anyhow, my previous desktop to this was an nforce2 mobo, and I was pretty comfortable with just throwing any sticks, not even matched in size or ram chips in, and having it function in dual channel mode. From what I've heard, even proper dual channel setups (like modern AMD and Intel systems) aren't nearly as strict on ram requirements as memory manufacturers would like you to believe.

I was actually pretty surprised to see heat spreaders on them.

Anyhow, my previous desktop to this was an nforce2 mobo, and I was pretty comfortable with just throwing any sticks, not even matched in size or ram chips in, and having it function in dual channel mode. From what I've heard, even proper dual channel setups (like modern AMD and Intel systems) aren't nearly as strict on ram requirements as memory manufacturers would like you to believe.

Which is the reason for my surprise. The problem you're experiencing could very well be that one stick is good and the other not so much. Though I do doubt them not being "matched" has anything to do with that. You might want to try just one stick and see what you can get.

My overclock is with a Gigabyte 965P-DS3, btw. I have it running at a constant 400FSB as I like my RAM being stock voltage and my E6300 stays cool with all fans at low.

I'm sure at least one stick can do better than both together, but they're working now, albeit at a slightly higher voltage, so I'm not overly concerned. The days where I'd spend hours tweaking every last bit of performance out of my computer are over, as long as I get most of the performance and it works stably, I'm happy.

I haven't yet tried pushing my cpu to 2.8ghz to see how it goes, I find the cpu's fan to be awfully loud (though I suppose it could be the x1950xt's fan, but I've always assumed it was the cpu's) and would prefer it not to constantly turn on. Then again, I'm only assuming it would, maybe things would be perfectly fine and I could be enjoying an extra ~10% performance.

Hmm, I have not used the stock Intel fan. I bought a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with my C2D. It was cheap and does the job great.

Alrighty so, guess what? BSODs during windows install, coupled with a failure to reach rated speed, coupled with the 10,000+ errors memtest found, = my experiance with G.Skill and specifically 1x2gb sticks ended. What i get for testing brand spankin new hardware :LOL:.

Anyway, that lesson learned, got a couple of these coming

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=361

Costly? Yes. But since i need a decent memory to push this E6300 to within an inch of its life before i decide to wander back into the hellish world of TEC, the extra $150 isnt going to kill me.

I really hope your motherboard can go high on the FSB, my E6300 sees no end in sight but my motherboard doesn't go above 500FSB.

well its not like 500 isnt high enough, thats a 3500MHz capability which heat is going to stop you from getting at without aftermarket cooling, but this AW9D's bios do top out at 600.

well its not like 500 isnt high enough, thats a 3500MHz capability which heat is going to stop you from getting at without aftermarket cooling, but this AW9D's bios do top out at 600.

Mine does as well. The real limitation is that the stock chipset heatsink on the 965P-DS3 is rather lacking if I want to go higher. Its rather surprising really as I've got the chip higher than most have, I got a lucky board (yay, opposite of my usual luck).

I'm currently just cooling the E6300 with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, it was cheap but does a wonderful job and never has to spin up even under load. I've been giving some thought to water but with that comes the responsibility of it which tends to not be my thing. Kind of a set it and forget type of guy.

Alrighty so, guess what? BSODs during windows install, coupled with a failure to reach rated speed, coupled with the 10,000+ errors memtest found, = my experiance with G.Skill and specifically 1x2gb sticks ended. What i get for testing brand spankin new hardware :LOL:.

Anyway, that lesson learned, got a couple of these coming

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=361

Costly? Yes. But since i need a decent memory to push this E6300 to within an inch of its life before i decide to wander back into the hellish world of TEC, the extra $150 isnt going to kill me.

Heh, well it's a bit late now for me to choose different ram. Even if I could RMA still, I need a working computer right now.

Anyhow, I can barely overclock at all for some reason, yet my ram seems fine if I just run it at 800mhz without overclocking the rest of my board. Of course, that doesn't mean anything as the ram may not be anywhere near close to being stressed on a cpu at only a 533mhz fsb. (I've found in the past that ram that can do high speeds asynchronously can't necessarily do the same synchronously)
Still not sure if it's the ram, cpu, motherboard, or even just the stock intel cooler sucking, that keeps me from doing more.

like i said Fox, pull each one and try them individually. If one is acting like garbage you can infact RMA it for a replacement on the grounds of it not reaching rated speeds quite easily. Basically you should be able to squeeze some stability and a few more MHz out of it by giving them 2.1V if its the ram as well. I'd be willing to bet one stick is just bad, in which case you can contact G.Skill and they should be quite helpful.

In my past experiances memory RMA turn-around only takes about a week and a half unless you have them charge you for another stick then refund you when they recieve the defective one which makes things go a bit faster; and you dont need to RMA both modules, just the problem one, so you would still have your PC. Takes about 2-3 emails to accomplish this.

is 64bit windows up to par yet? (i have a 64 bit ready pc, just didn't go with OS due to everyone saying the driver support and apps weren't exactly friendly yet.)

is vista 64 bit only?

the reason i ask is related to the 8G ram issue. i would be interested in trying > 2G (i have now) pretty soon....and then try 64bit farcry...and see if i get any more bang out of resource hog 32 bit games...(funny thing the 'footprint' of my boiling point game shows as 2.17G on my taskmgr)

the reason i ask is related to the 8G ram issue. i would be interested in trying > 2G (i have now) pretty soon....and then try 64bit farcry...and see if i get any more bang out of resource hog 32 bit games...(funny thing the 'footprint' of my boiling point game shows as 2.17G on my taskmgr)

You can play the 64-bit Far Cry in 32-bit XP.

Back