Single DIMM 2GB Sticks Launched For Enthusiast

SugarCoat

Veteran
Yeah so this crept up on me which is sort of odd (usually new stuff doesnt catch me by surprise). I knew they were coming but didnt know they were already out. G.Skill, Kingston, and i believe Corsair are selling these now, kinda neat. Anyone for 8GB in their gaming PC? :LOL:

Price isnt bad either at about, ~250US per stick for DDR2 800 (about the same for 667).

Decided to try one with the new PC, will have to see how it works out.

5-5-5-15 for DDR2 667 and a more expensive DDR2 800 model
6-6-6-18 for DDR2 800

Voltage is pretty much stock so they havent gone nuts playing with that yet it seems to see how low they can get the latency.

Yeah so this crept up on me which is sort of odd (usually new stuff doesnt catch me by surprise). I knew they were coming but didnt know they were already out. G.Skill, Kingston, and i believe Corsair are selling these now, kinda neat. Anyone for 8GB in their gaming PC? :LOL:

Price isnt bad either at about, ~250US per stick for DDR2 800 (about the same for 667).

Decided to try one with the new PC, will have to see how it works out.

Have you a weblink for this product, Sugarcoat?

As for 8GB for your gaming machine, all 32 bit applications are limited to a max of 2 gigabytes [ or possably 3 gigabytes ] and whilst a 64 bit application running under Windows XP Professional x64 or Vista 64 could potentially utilize 8GB and very considerably more, the motherboard has to be able support more than 4 Gigabytes RAM.

Best and Warm Regards
Zapata

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010170147+1052315794&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=147
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010170147+1052307859&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=147

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...67D2N5/2G&SearchType=KingPNFind&submit=Search

http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-5300cl4s-pq.html
http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-5300cl4s-pq.html

I'm aware of the current OS limitation, pretty common knowledge, i've been using X64 for about a year. And most motherboards these days can support 8gb, i know most of the 975x/965 ones can as well as AM2 and newer 939 AMD. Intel chipsets about a year old top out at 4gb (which isnt a small amount either).

Last edited by a moderator:
Much appreciated for posting the news about that, sorry for doubting you but somebody on another site not long ago posted "news" about "2 Gigabyte" sticks and I spent ages looking on the net, and concluded he or she must have have an item about a matched pair of 1 Gig stick, bye the way will they all be DDR 2 or will regular DDR be available in the 2 Gigs?

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

no idea, like i said it cought me by surprise as well. Your best bet would be to send a quick email to G.Skill or some other memory partner inquiring, though i sort of doubt it since DDR is pretty much finished as far as any upcoming chipset support goes. Most of these places like to advance technology so DDR would take a backseat.

Pity about that, if the two gigabyte sticks are never released in DDR as I have Windows Professional XP x64 on a ASUS deluxe motherboard with a 4800 AMD Athlon 64 dual core 939 socket processor, though I will hope for the best as there must be a large installed base of DDR socket motherboards that would make a tempting sales opportunity and as an example AGP seems still to be attracting new Graphics card releases, bye the way I heard a suggestion that a 8800 series card would be available in AGP [ nb it is no more than a rumour at this stage ].

Best and Warm Regards
"Zapata"
Adrian Wainer

man this stinks since if I populate all 4 slots I'll have to run at ddr333 at 2T timings.

I cannot stress it enough that for games it doesnt do anything glaringly bad to performance. If you're into the MMO scene you'll actually notice a night and day difference with the extra ram. Stops reliance on page filing which gives you overall smoother performance since you're not waiting on virtual memory. Just get a pair of 512s and call it a day.

man this stinks since if I populate all 4 slots I'll have to run at ddr333 at 2T timings.

Even at 2x512MB + 1x1G you'd still have to run at 2T timings. Anything beyond 2 sticks will require 2T timings.

I would but I'd rather not invest anymore money in ddr1 since I'll likely be upgrading my computer to C2D when the time is right.

If by "C2D" you mean Intel Conroe Core 2, as best I know this processor can operate with both DDR and DDR2 though I would presume that most motherboards will come with DDR2 slots, that said, Asrock tend to put out interesting boards, so they might be a manufacturer that will produce a board which will support both Conroe and DDR memory.

http://www.asrock.com/

Also another way to go, is to go for the DDR1 stuff now and then jump direct to DDR3 bypassing DDR2.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/01/26/ddr3_2007/

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

The Asrock board only supports 4x PCIe, that equated to about 15% loss on high end cards such as the Radeon X1950XTX, I can only imagine its a bit more though on say a 8800GTS. It was a solid board though, I used one up till the 26th for several months and it will go serve someone else now.

Little update. Installation was fine, overclocks like a pig, even has trouble at its rated speed, reacts very badly to more voltage so dont do it. Its basically the other end of the spectrum compared to your super expensive DDR2 overclocking memory options. As much ram as you can fit in your computer but you lose the ability to play with the Bus speed. The good thing though is the value is there since its significantly under what really good 2x1gb DDR2 800 or 1000 kits costs and basically the same price as some decent generic DD2 800. But if you want to OC your processor a lot, stay away or get an EE. Lack of any 533MHz SPD was a bit of a dissapointment but i really cant complain. I'll problably end up getting another stick at some point for dual channel.

Little update. Installation was fine, overclocks like a pig, even has trouble at its rated speed, reacts very badly to more voltage so dont do it. Its basically the other end of the spectrum compared to your super expensive DDR2 overclocking memory options. As much ram as you can fit in your computer but you lose the ability to play with the Bus speed. The good thing though is the value is there since its significantly under what really good 2x1gb DDR2 800 or 1000 kits costs and basically the same price as some decent generic DD2 800. But if you want to OC your processor a lot, stay away or get an EE. Lack of any 533MHz SPD was a bit of a dissapointment but i really cant complain. I'll problably end up getting another stick at some point for dual channel.

I just got two G. Skill 1GB sticks PC6400. They need to be overvolted to even run at stock speed (I think 2V is standard for PC6400, but I need 2.1V for stability) and even at 700mhz they need a full 2V to be stable (yet lose stability at 2.1V, what's up with that?). I assumed that it was due to having 2GB of ram just requiring more voltage, and if I had just used 1GB I would have been good at stock. Of course, you have the same problem and only have a single stick, which theoretically should require less power, right?

I just got two G. Skill 1GB sticks PC6400. They need to be overvolted to even run at stock speed (I think 2V is standard for PC6400, but I need 2.1V for stability) and even at 700mhz they need a full 2V to be stable (yet lose stability at 2.1V, what's up with that?). I assumed that it was due to having 2GB of ram just requiring more voltage, and if I had just used 1GB I would have been good at stock. Of course, you have the same problem and only have a single stick, which theoretically should require less power, right?

I'm not sure you can compare them because the 2GB modules are using totally different ram chips. Do they run okay in single channel? It may very well be a problem with the memory controller and not the memory itself in your case. I cant go over 2V or i'll corrupt windows and the most i could push it was 750MHz. For comparison i was able to push the other 1gb stick i was using previously as a placeholder to 950MHz. Technically the voltage is 1.8-1.9V but they range all over the place, all the way up to 2.2. Depends on the memory partner.

I've never bought G.Skill before but i havent heard bad things, maybe their quality sucks and we're the first to notice? :LOL: Personally i've always delt with Crucial and their Ballistix line. Used a couple Patriot models too and they've seemed good.

Try them each alone and see if they do the same thing or maybe one is just garbage. I've had 2x1gb kits do that to me before. One overclocks well the other hates going over its rated speed. Best way to test it i would think would be to reduce the CPU multiplyer and boost the FSB with a divider.

Back