Shut up! Shut up!

I would not recommend upgrading to 64-bit windows currently. Some software and hardware is incompatible.

Sadly, 64-bit Linux is vastly ahead of Windows in compatibility with previous versions.

Chalnoth said:
No, it's a 32-bit issue. 32-bit Windows can only allow program access to up to 3GB of RAM, and even then each 32-bit application can only see 2GB of that.

In other words, there's next to no point in purchasing more than 2GB of RAM for a 32-bit Windows system.
Well, unless you try to run multiple VMWare images at once. In that case 2 GB is pretty meager.

N00b said:
Well, unless you try to run multiple VMWare images at once. In that case 2 GB is pretty meager.
Well, I'm not sure you could call it a 32-bit Windows system in that case, as that would be only one of the OS's running :)

Chalnoth said:
Well, I'm not sure you could call it a 32-bit Windows system in that case, as that would be only one of the OS's running :)
I usually run 32-bit Windows (XP, WS 2003) as guest systems. When developing software it's sometimes more convenient and appropriate to have your development environment inside VMWare (defined environment, ability to move the VMWare image to another computer, ability to do client server development on a single (physical) machine).

Apart from that there are still advantages to have more than 2 GB of ram. Even if a single process cannot use more than 2 GB, you have usually more than one process running and system uses the remaining ram as file cache, which can speed up work considerably (of course depending on what you do).

"2.1 FF"

What the FUCK does that mean?!? The problem here is the errors aren't consistent.

Back