Malware/Adware/viruses causing havok

So, is there a consensus about me reinstalling xp using her compaq key (if it's on the case or I can read it out of the registry somehow) and a standard retail disk (non Dell etc)?

On XP you can get her key out of the registry. Google for "Jelly Bean Keyfinder" and you can get a little app that can pull/change your XP key.

Wow ... another friend with a virus/malware infested PC. This time a laptop. She had the same fake virus scanner and tons and tons of trojans etc. The computer would only boot in safe mode. Ran spybot and removed a bit of stuff. Was able to boot normal, but things were insanely sluggish and slow. It took me forever, but I managed to install AVG. Bad thing is, after I ran AVG her PC blue screens on startup:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc00000??

She has her XP Home CD, so I'm in the process of doing a repair install right now ... god I hope this works.

I'm very very very happy that repair install worked and she didn't lose any data. I think I'm very close to rescuing this one.

Man, am I glad I keep my system somewhat locked down and don't go to questionable sites...

Virus/spyware horror stories always scare the crap out of me, and I don't know why.

Because they suck! Just when you think you're locked down some rootkit comes along...

Weird shit. I was looking at her firewall exceptions and there's an exception called 'enable' which is linked to some backdoor trojan. I removed it while avg is running. Virus/malware scan has been running for over an hour. Hopefully this is the end of it. Then I can do all the windows updates and hand her laptop back in good working order.

Back