Should MS pack Kinect as standard with every XB3? *spawn

Well Kinect already has the IR laser and camera and much of the R+D costs has probably been paid back by the success of Kinect 1.0. If they can launch with say a 16MP sensor they ought to do well if they can do some kind of zoom and target the laser towards the eye.
So you want a 16MP @60fps video camera and a lot of other stuff for $100 :)

mate I dont think even top quality $10000 videocameras do this, perhaps the stuff on moviesets is capable.
also when youre zoomed in like you will be, what happens when the person moves around do their dancing.

the only way today is something attached to the head, like a pair of glasses.

So you want a 16MP @60fps video camera and a lot of other stuff for $100 :)

mate I dont think even top quality $10000 videocameras do this, perhaps the stuff on moviesets is capable.
also when youre zoomed in like you will be, what happens when the person moves around do their dancing.

the only way today is something attached to the head, like a pair of glasses.

16MP pictures! I figured the sampling rate would depend on how close someone is to the Kinect unit. I figure a 16MP sensor could do 1080P video @ 60FPS so if they can somehow get an image of the eye at say more than a dozen pixels wide it ought to give them enough resolution to tell between targets which are spaced more than a few degrees apart. If you've got a TV which is say 20 degrees of your vision you could distinguish between say 5 different boxes easily if they are 4 degrees of movement apart.

I don't think people will do dancing and eye tracking at the same time it isn't reasonable!!! :p

I'm just saying even if the camera is distant the TV screen is also distant and large so whilst you probably couldn't frag anyone in COD you could easily navigate the whole system with your eyes and a hand to 'click'. I have no idea about digital cameras so I figured a 16MP still shot sensor could do the trick, are the sensors for movie cameras different??

Should every Xbox 3 have a Kinect 2.0?

From a business angle: YES.

From a gaming angle: If they cannot resolve "avatar" movement forward/back and turning for major genres (i.e. any FPS in a 3D world) then an adamant NO.

I don't care if they resolve it with a Wiimote (I suggested a breakout wand controller years ago) or some other way, but taking a step back in major genres in interactivity, precision, etc is unacceptable. If platform $$$$ is going into concepts that detract from the core experience then I don't want them.

I want Kinect 2 in every NextBox.

I want head tracking similar to this in every game and I want to use voice commands, not just for games, but for apps as well (Xbox music/Video/WWW etc)

Cheers

I want Kinect 2 in every NextBox.

I want head tracking similar to this in every game and I want to use voice commands, not just for games, but for apps as well (Xbox music/Video/WWW etc)

Cheers
Assuming its packed with every console, the question is, at what retail price will they market the console and how will it affect hardware choice?

Assuming its packed with every console, the question is, at what retail price will they market the console and how will it affect hardware choice?

I expect MS to be able to drive cost down to $30-35 with 2 x 8MP sensors for Kinect 2 (plus the secret sauce in the console itself, that extracts Z-info). I have no idea how that will translate into launch prices. I guess somewhere around $349 and $449 for core and premium SKUs at launch.

With a high resolution sensor, angular resolution can be held more or less constant; If the player is far away from the sensor, crop the sensor output and only process part of the image with the player in. If the player is close to the sensor, drop resolution and process image.

With a 8MP sensor, we should have around 10 mm Z-precision and around 1 arc-minute colour camera resolution @ 5 metres .

Cheers

Back