Shifty wants to build a PC. Help!

Yeah, I used the wrong term. Dual ported is something else.

As you may notice, I'm not really a PC guy. ;)

Yes, you have been spending too much time in the console forum :D. Welcome back.

BTW still don't know what dual ported is...

SSDs aren't as susceptible to wear as I feared then, I guess. Does Windows pagefile still thrash it though? Have we yet managed to get to a Windows using RAM instead of storage for general operation?

Yeah, I used the wrong term. Dual ported is something else.

As you may notice, I'm not really a PC guy. ;)

Windows will always use a pagefile no matter what really. I have 16Gb of RAM and use the XRAM utility with my ASRock to autocreate a 4Gb RAM drive and store pagefile, temp and caches there.

BTW still don't know what dual ported is...
When speaking about RAM, it's almost, if not completely obsolete these days, but in the past it was a useful (but expensive, which limited it to higher-end products) way to increase bandwidth.

What it means is you have multiple physical buses/"ports" that can access data on the chip simultaneously. For example, on a video card you'd have VRAM (an actual specific type of RAM, not just a label for the framebuffer memory) with one read/write port for the graphics accelerator to draw into memory, and another separate read port for the RAMDAC to scan out the screen to your monitor. This increased performance for obvious reasons when the two devices no longer had to compete over access to the same interface. :)

Nowadays, clock speeds and bandwidth is monstrously high compared to the mid/late-90s when this tech was in use, so it has fallen to the wayside there, but on on-chip memories it's still commonly used. CPU caches for example often have multiple ports. L1 caches can have three or perhaps even more. The Reality Synthesizer in the PS2 had triple extremely wide ports to on-chip eDRAM, one 1kbit port for reading pixel data, another 1kbit port for writing pixels and a 512bit for reading texture data. This led to massive on-chip bandwidth, but everything has a price, so as a result more advanced features were lacking or implemented in a flawed or quirky manner.

Not sure if GPUs today use multi-ported on-die memories, or if they simply rely on very wide accesses. Details are a bit scarce there for trade secret reasons no doubt...

The Horror...

The Horror 2.....
:eek: :LOL: You make it sound like a stinging pain, such as getting shampoo in the eye during the shower. --if you want to know what pain is, I suggest you to check the Dead Rising 3 thread in the Console Games forum, I am going to share something about a game there....

Shifty, I am not a hardware expert -I love these threads though, as they remind me of people in the early-mid 2000s always posting the specs of their PCs in their signature -sometimes re-reading those old threads can be fun because of those signatures, now that hardware has developed so much- but it sounds like a good overall PC. I would love to be more of help, but can't....

Even for gaming, Intel GPUs are getting better by the day.

Additionally, your GPU supports Miracast, which is a good thing.

Back