Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

What is the criteria to determine how well it is performing financially? Is it only accounting for Steam sales? Do they have access to Xbox numbers? Windows store? New Gamepass subscribers?

If we are conceding that Microsoft/Xbox are more interested in getting/retaining Gamepass numbers than they are selling games, and those numbers are not reported with any regularity, then how can we know what the financial impact is? Hellblade is, I think, more of a game that will get people to get a free/$1 2 week trial or whatever the offer is. It's up to the rest of the library to keep them. I don't think we are at the point where we would even know the financial impact of Hellblade 2 because if 10 million people sign up for a free trial and drop out of Gamepass afterwards, that wouldn't help at all. We couldn't possibly know what impact it has until those trials run out.
yeah, I wouldn't expect much in terms of sales, it's a walking simulator and it can be boring (even if I prefer more constrained games these days than open world games, except if they are Elder Scrolls games or The Witcher).

This is a perfect game to impress anyone. And ideal for a subscription service like Gamepass ,where you can enjoy a great experience playing this game.

The level of discussion should be higher here at Beyond3D.

1) Everyone here knows that this article is clickbait for MS haters.
2) Everyone here knows that it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell how well an Xbox game does based on Steam data since there are 20-30 million GP subscribers.
3) Everyone here knows that this is one of the most visually impressive games ever made.

There are 3 or 4 posters, that I won't name, that seem to come into every Xbox game thread and dog on ridiculous shit and it's very tiring and a waste of everyone's time.

By contrast, even though I'm not a PS guy I don't go into every Sony game thread and pile on stupid criticisms about PS games like Helldiver 2 controversy etc... It's not a legit use of everyone's time.

Please extend the same courtesy.

It's fine if you played HB2 and you hate it. Come in here and complain about "walking simulator" blah blah blah. That's what the game thread is for. Not for stupid conspiracy theories about how "SteamDB sales mean Ninja Theory is being shut down" etc... It's a waste of everyone's time. It's nonsense.

I played maybe like 1h or something. Graphics are incredible ,the game seem to be built around mood and presentation though. The camera angle, the slow moving camera, lack of sprint, dof, chromatic abberation and stuff all seem to be there to make the game look movie-like and realistic.
It seems like something of a double-edged sword to me: it looks very realistic, but the way you are able to move, look around and interact with the world is alot more limited which in itself can break the immersion. But if you could interact
more freely alot of the cinematic presention and movie like feel would be lost.

I really like how you hear the characters inner voices, especially in headphones. Very nicely done.

Not that it doesnt look incredible and that the artstyle isnt great, but it does look similiar to other ue5 nanite, megascans demos. Other games that doesnt look as super realistic tend to have a more unique look and more of an own identity it seems like.

Zeb whats the Binaural audio like ?

Havent really thought much about it, I dont know if Im knowledgable enough to give a good answer anyway.
When I was playing Senua I was too busy thinking about how it was almost playable on my OLED despite being 30 fps.

Not many argued that strawman. It's more that 30 fps is acceptable to many, including me.

I don't see why movies can be at 24fps, youtube at 30fps, but games can "only" magically be at 60+. A lot of games intend to put you "into" a game, and then sure having 50fps+, above the "flicker/fusion" line for human vision above which we tend towards seeing things as a continuous stream is good. But that doesn't have to be all games.

I appreciate the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima limiting cutscenes to 30fps, because it's supposed to be a Kurosawa like movie and at least the cutscenes work better that way. Heck I'm hoping Ghost 2 (of whatever), at least on PS5 Pro, has a letterboxed 24fps raytraced motion blur/depth of field option for cutscenes, that would rule.

And I'm sure there's entire games that could conceivably be 30, or even 24fps, (or at least the animation could stick to that). A point and click adventure game might want super smooth camera movement (if there is any) but the animation could be at 24, 18, 12fps for that matter.

At some point we went from 30fps to I want a constant 60fps it's probably to do with the refresh rate of lcd's because I've seen people with 144hz monitors complaining that they cant get some games to hit 144fps

I don't see why movies can be at 24fps, youtube at 30fps, but games can "only" magically be at 60+. A lot of games intend to put you "into" a game, and then sure having 50fps+, above the "flicker/fusion" line for human vision above which we tend towards seeing things as a continuous stream is good. But that doesn't have to be all games.

I appreciate the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima limiting cutscenes to 30fps, because it's supposed to be a Kurosawa like movie and at least the cutscenes work better that way. Heck I'm hoping Ghost 2 (of whatever), at least on PS5 Pro, has a letterboxed 24fps raytraced motion blur/depth of field option for cutscenes, that would rule.

And I'm sure there's entire games that could conceivably be 30, or even 24fps, (or at least the animation could stick to that). A point and click adventure game might want super smooth camera movement (if there is any) but the animation could be at 24, 18, 12fps for that matter.

I didnt mind 30 fps before, but on OLED with their super fast pixel response times 30fps gives me a headache.
A movie is quite different from playing a game, its easier to react with higher fps, the way the camera moves in fps is alot different than how camera moves in movies.

If I was playing on a non-OLED screen I might not have mind 30 fps in Senua.

I didnt mind 30 fps before, but on OLED with their super fast pixel response times 30fps gives me a headache.
A movie is quite different from playing a game, its easier to react with higher fps, the way the camera moves in fps is alot different than how camera moves in movies.

If I was playing on a non-OLED screen I might not have mind 30 fps in Senua.

Even 24fps on movies on oled are already horrible.

Already discussed in one of the older thread. I think I provided example with the hobbit.

Original 24fps, 48fps, and selective 60fps (via svp motion interpolation).

Anyway, hellblade 2 motion blur is actually smeary enough and the camera is also slow enough.. that on 30fps, it is still bearable on my LG CX OLED. At least for me.

Even 24fps on movies on oled are already horrible.

Already discussed in one of the older thread. I think I provided example with the hobbit.

Original 24fps, 48fps, and selective 60fps (via svp motion interpolation).

Anyway, hellblade 2 motion blur is actually smeary enough and the camera is also slow enough.. that on 30fps, it is still bearable on my LG CX OLED. At least for me.

I have the same model. Yeah, I cant stand those motion interpolationen features which looks like everything is shot on a home camera. Some paning shots in movies look awful on OLED. Im a little surpriced NONE of all the reviews I checked before deciding on a TV mentioned this, and read up quite a bit. I have a quite cheaper LCD in another room, and the movement on that TV is so much more smooth and natural (without any "motion enhancing" features).

I´ll probably wont get another TV for some time, but do you know what alternatives there are with good HDR and contrast but can handle 30 fps and movies?

Yeah, Hellblade 2 did things to make it bearable. It still was straining for my eyes and head, but it was bearable at least. 40 fps seem to be some magic limit. I have no trouble with stable 40 fps games on OLED, and I would like more games to feature a 40 fps mode.

I have the same model. Yeah, I cant stand those motion interpolationen features which looks like everything is shot on a home camera. Some paning shots in movies look awful on OLED. Im a little surpriced NONE of all the reviews I checked before deciding on a TV mentioned this, and read up quite a bit. I have a quite cheaper LCD in another room, and the movement on that TV is so much more smooth and natural (without any "motion enhancing" features).

I´ll probably wont get another TV for some time, but do you know what alternatives there are with good HDR and contrast but can handle 30 fps and movies?

Yeah, Hellblade 2 did things to make it bearable. It still was straining for my eyes and head, but it was bearable at least. 40 fps seem to be some magic limit. I have no trouble with stable 40 fps games on OLED, and I would like more games to feature a 40 fps mode.

OH yes very agree. 40fps is amazing.

Still got that filmic feel while no longer headache and eye strains.

As for watching movies, automatic selective 2x framerate on pans is the best IME. Svp on windows have that feature.

OH yes very agree. 40fps is amazing.

Still got that filmic feel while no longer headache and eye strains.

As for watching movies, automatic selective 2x framerate on pans is the best IME. Svp on windows have that feature.

I dont know how much you know about that kind of stuff, but do you have any idea how difficult it would be to implement a stable 40 fps mode for Hellblade 2 on XSX?
When it didnt dip below that it worked great on a plagues tale 2. It worked amazing on Spiderman 2 and that is fast paced game.

New OLEDs should be a bit better than your CX, but will still have motion persistence? MicroLED is the middle ground on motion persistence with good local dimming. After that, you're really sacrificing black levels for motion smoothness. Unless I missed anything when doing my 'Internet Research' prior to buying my new tele.

I'm fortunate to be not that sensitive to the issue. HB2 looked fine to me on my S90C, along with movies, and it measures worse than the C3 or C4 in benchmarks. I must seek out more panning movie content to see if I can annoy myself! :)

I dont know how much you know about that kind of stuff, but do you have any idea how difficult it would be to implement a stable 40 fps mode for Hellblade 2 on XSX?
When it didnt dip below that it worked great on a plagues tale 2. It worked amazing on Spiderman 2 and that is fast paced game.

Other than begging for devs to implement it, The only way is on PC with frame rate limiter

I must seek out more panning movie content to see if I can annoy myself! :)

Don't do that, please.... But if you do... The hobbit got lots of juddery mess panning shots

New OLEDs should be a bit better than your CX, but will still have motion persistence? MicroLED is the middle ground on motion persistence with good local dimming. After that, you're really sacrificing black levels for motion smoothness. Unless I missed anything when doing my 'Internet Research' prior to buying my new tele.

I'm fortunate to be not that sensitive to the issue. HB2 looked fine to me on my S90C, along with movies, and it measures worse than the C3 or C4 in benchmarks. I must seek out more panning movie content to see if I can annoy myself! :)

Do newer OLEDs have some kind of feature do reduce this? I thought it was because of the super fast pixel respons time it felt like you´re looking at a series of still images rather than frames blending together?

S90C is QLED, right? Does it have faster pixel respons time than LG Oleds?

Back