Market/business performance of Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 *spawn

Why does psychosis make a game niche?
TLOU2 also had PTSD, realistic homosexual (if not also gender fluid) and heterosexual sex or intimate themes. They spent $200m on what you might want to call "niche".

HB2's gameplay involves a female warrior welding a sword, hacking and slashing in an ancient world and solving puzzles. That's pretty common. ..

Lol, wtf is this description. You could describe TLOU2 as a female survivalist shooting and sneaking through a post apocalyptic world and solving puzzles. That's also pretty common.

Lol, wtf is this description. You could describe TLOU2 as a female survivalist shooting and sneaking through a post apocalyptic world and solving puzzles. That's also pretty common.
You missed the point. Of course you can. Yes it IS common as a game. My point was that "niche" themes, which TLOU2 had in abundance do not define whether a game is "niche" in itself. And you are a perfect example (assuming you played it and you know what I am talking about). And it is the same for HB2

A game/experience like HB2 that's only a handful of hours long and has no replayability I wouldn't expect to be driving user hours. The people that love it won't sink enough time into it to offset the people that don't.

It's not just direct hours though. If passive subscribers return, play HB2 and then explore other stuff, that's success too. They'll have metrics for all the sort of thing.

The reason why this isn't lighting up the charts is because ninja theory did what they wanted, and that is an extreme focus on narrative while ignoring everything else. And I respect that. But at the same time, this is a videogame sequel, and good sequels in this medium usually improve gameplay, structure, design.

Why isn't the swordfighting more in depth and mechanically complex? It's even simpler than the first.
Why are there no gameplay bossfights? Big monsters that at least look visually cool like in the first. Now they are just setpieces.

Not improving upon those aspects, but even regressing. This is how you destroy interest.

Why does psychosis make a game niche?
TLOU2 also had PTSD, realistic homosexual (if not also gender fluid) and heterosexual sex or intimate themes. They spent $200m on what you might want to call "niche".

HB2's gameplay involves a female warrior welding a sword, hacking and slashing in an ancient world and solving puzzles. That's pretty common. Reviews aren't involved with financials. Reviews are involved with the quality of the game and the quality is great with an 81% in metacritic and Godly visuals. Everyone I asked including me, do not consider this type of game a niche. It's psychosis theme for us is an interesting tone and perhaps an additional selling point for a game that we are interested in. A story driven hack and slash. It reminds me of GoWs free Valhala DLC which involved a navigation of Kratos' guilt and dark past haunting him. That's exactly the game I want and I typically play. It's what I experienced also from the original which for me falls in the GoW genre.
What’s the saying: “if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike”.

TLOU2 and HB2 couldn’t be further apart even though both of them deal with heavier subject matter and have heroines as the MC.

HB2 has been universally described as a walking simulator. 6 hours of it. No bosses, repetitive and simplistic combat, the list goes on.

From what I've seen of skimming through HB2 streams it actually reminds me more of Dragon's Lair in terms of a 100% presentation-focused game. Looking at the length of various playthroughs on youtube they all seem to be +/- a few minutes of each other, so I can only assume there's virtually zero branching paths, exploration, sight-seeing, or decision making offered to the player. I haven't played TLOU2, but (again, from watching brief clips) I'd imagine there's enough player agency in those games to result in different gameplay being experienced from one player to the next. Like if you were watching someone else play TLOU2, you'd feel like you're missing out on something by not being the one to hold the controller, but for HB2 I really don't get that impression at all.

I'm super skeptical that there's going to be some yet-untapped audience of gamers out there that had yet to subscribe to gamepass that are now going to finally signup to give HB2 a whirl. Surely by now anyone that would care to try gamepass has tried it and chosen to remain subscribed or cancel. Even if there were some ultra-casual gameplay-free gamer demographic, it's not like gamepass is going to be able to offer them a whole bunch more games similar to HB2 to keep them engaged.

Last edited:
What’s the saying: “if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike”.

TLOU2 and HB2 couldn’t be further apart even though both of them deal with heavier subject matter and have heroines as the MC.

HB2 has been universally described as a walking simulator. 6 hours of it. No bosses, repetitive and simplistic combat, the list goes on.
Didn't say they are the same game. The point is outside of their themes they are just like other games.
HellBlade isn't the only game described as a walking simulator. Now your argument isn't even about the theme of "psychosis". Now you talk about size, repetition and amount of content which are generic game design fundamentals.

Didn't say they are the same game. The point is outside of their themes they are just like other games.
HellBlade isn't the only game described as a walking simulator. Now your argument isn't even about the theme of "psychosis". Now you talk about size, repetition and amount of content which are generic game design fundamentals.
Just because there are other games like Hellblade, so much so that a genre exists, does not mean that it's not a niche title. Yes, there are other games that are walking simulators. And those games, while popular with a minority of gamers, often reach a level of critical acclaim. But in the medium as it exists today, walking simulators are a niche genre.

What Remains of Edith Finch is a walking sim that is fairly high rated on Metacritic - higher than HB2 in fact. WROEF was Eurogamers #2 game in 2017 (Hellblade 1 was #9 that year), was in Game Radar's top 5 games that year at #5, and won best narrative at The Game Awards. It's regarded as one of the best games in the genre. To my knowledge WROEF never charted on any top sales charts. It wasn't in the best selling games of April or May 2017 (it released in April). It certainly never entered any any year end sales lists. Yet it's considered a success in the genre, because the genre is a niche genre, full of niche games. WROEF also had a max Steam concurrent player number of 564 players, Hellblade 2 peaked at 3982, with a 24 hour peak higher than WROEF's lifetime. People are looking at HB2's steam numbers and declaring it a failure or disappointment, but it's numbers are well above on of the best games in the genre - A game that beat the original Hellblade in many best of lists the year they both released.

Just because there are other games like Hellblade, so much so that a genre exists, does not mean that it's not a niche title. Yes, there are other games that are walking simulators. And those games, while popular with a minority of gamers, often reach a level of critical acclaim. But in the medium as it exists today, walking simulators are a niche genre.

What Remains of Edith Finch is a walking sim that is fairly high rated on Metacritic - higher than HB2 in fact. WROEF was Eurogamers #2 game in 2017 (Hellblade 1 was #9 that year), was in Game Radar's top 5 games that year at #5, and won best narrative at The Game Awards. It's regarded as one of the best games in the genre. To my knowledge WROEF never charted on any top sales charts. It wasn't in the best selling games of April or May 2017 (it released in April). It certainly never entered any any year end sales lists. Yet it's considered a success in the genre, because the genre is a niche genre, full of niche games. WROEF also had a max Steam concurrent player number of 564 players, Hellblade 2 peaked at 3982, with a 24 hour peak higher than WROEF's lifetime. People are looking at HB2's steam numbers and declaring it a failure or disappointment, but it's numbers are well above on of the best games in the genre - A game that beat the original Hellblade in many best of lists the year they both released.
There are many games that got the "walking simulator" label and werent categorized as "niche". But that's a pointless discussion at this point.

As I already said, my argument was never about Hellblade 2 being a disappointment. My argument was that Hellblade 2 is great game and the business model of Gamepass may potentially be sabotaging the game's market performance and finances.

Can we agree that if MS fires Ninja Theory within a year, that the game was a total flop?
That's the thing. HB2 as a game may have enough appeal to be profitable, but (assuming Marketing isn't also a culprit but it could since I barely saw enough push from MS) giving it away for free or the option to finish it with just $16 through a monthly Gamepass subscription ( since you can finish it in one sitting), it likely hinders the financial success of the project, unless it brings exponential Gamepass growth, which I am doubtful.

I am saving up my gamepass ’month’ for when there are at least 5 similar games that I want to play and can complete within a single month, after which I would cancel my subscription again. Would that be a success for MS?

I am saving up my gamepass ’month’ for when there are at least 5 similar games that I want to play and can complete within a single month, after which I would cancel my subscription again. Would that be a success for MS?

Yes. That's a month of subs they otherwise wouldn't have received. You're a F- grade customer, but a customer none the less.

Yes. That's a month of subs they otherwise wouldn't have received. You're a F- grade customer, but a customer none the less.
What if the other games are… starfield and call of duty 2024?
They would have gotten 150 euro from me at least but now they get 10 times less.
Also I am telling coworkers that play single player only not to waste any money and instead ‘hire’ the game.

With Sensua, to be honest, I don’t even think the game is worth 1 month subscribing which is why I am saving up several games in order not be too bummed should i not finish the game

What if the other games are… starfield and call of duty 2024?
They would have gotten 150 euro from me at least but now they get 10 times less.
Also I am telling coworkers that play single player only not to waste any money and instead ‘hire’ the game.

What matters is where it falls in balance. Do more people subscribe long term than dip in for a 'rental'. We don't know the answer to that.

That's the thing. HB2 as a game may have enough appeal to be profitable, but (assuming Marketing isn't also a culprit but it could since I barely saw enough push from MS) giving it away for free or the option to finish it with just $16 through a monthly Gamepass subscription ( since you can finish it in one sitting), it likely hinders the financial success of the project, unless it brings exponential Gamepass growth, which I am doubtful.
I think the history of the franchise, along with Microsoft's recent publishing history, make me believe that HB2 will eventually get released on Playstation, and perhaps gets a physical release. The original Hellblade launched first on Playstation 4 and PC as a digital only release, and was later ported to Xbox and Switch with physical copies made for Xbox One and PS4. Even if it doesn't make a profit in it's initial run, I believe it will eventually with a multiplatform release.

The reason why this isn't lighting up the charts is because ninja theory did what they wanted, and that is an extreme focus on narrative while ignoring everything else. And I respect that. But at the same time, this is a videogame sequel, and good sequels in this medium usually improve gameplay, structure, design.

Why isn't the swordfighting more in depth and mechanically complex? It's even simpler than the first.
Why are there no gameplay bossfights? Big monsters that at least look visually cool like in the first. Now they are just setpieces.

Not improving upon those aspects, but even regressing. This is how you destroy interest.
well, the game is boring. But it's a perfect game for gamepass. I am slowly completing it, but I'd never buy it if it wasn't on gamepass. I am going to complete the game that's for sure, to see the rest of the graphics and follow the story.

First party titles are a platform play. Gamepass is a platform play. They are meant to drive people to look at the platform and want to enter the ecosystem. They build variety titles to get people to choose your platform versus their competition. They aren't meant to be massive revenue drivers, especially in this day of age. No one wants to sign up for a service that only has Marvel and Starwars, if every platform has Marvel and Starwars. You need diversity in gaming, but you don't need them to be platinum gold hits. It would be nice, but it's just not likely for a game like this.

You want to spend some time to explain why TLOU2 sold 50% of TLOU1 remastered? Or why in total sales sold 44% less than TLOU1. Just think on that for a while. It's not a SJW issue, it's not a political issue. The game has been out for so long now, people have had more than enough time to go out there forget about that and try it on their own, especially when these titles can be streamed on PSN premium.

Our generation will be the oldest gamign generation there is. But our generation is now largely between 40-50. this is where most of us who are in the working class will make the largest jump in salary, as older people age out, we are promoted into higher positions with more money. We use that time for our families and to try to make due in this crazy expensive world. Our generation of gamers is dwindling. We no longer represent the majority of gamers, we just represent the group of gamers with the most spending money. The gamers with the most time are playing f2p games, and if they have money, they spend it there. There's not this massive group of players sitting aroudn with both time and money to play all of these titles that are coming out. Everyone has to pick and choose.

How do you know its not an SJW issue? I can only speak for myself but that was the reason I didnt buy it, and I loved the first game and was really hyped about part 2 until the leaks. I did borrow it and played thru it later, but I would be much more likely to spend money on the part 1 remake than any version of part 2.

You're comparing a proper lower budget indie game with something that has been held up by MS as a major Xbox platform release. And there were simply expectations that coming into the MS umbrella would have given Ninja Theory greater resources to bump up the ambitions of their games, not just do more of the same. People were expecting something more like a full scale AAA game, not just another 'niche, short walking sim' sort of AA game.

And expectations are primarily how we define something as a success/failure. Bragging about a major Xbox release having more concurrent players than some small indie game that was more clearly identifiable as a niche(walking sim) within a niche(indie game) is a bit like bragging that you can beat a 4 year old at chess. It would be shocking if you couldn't.

Truth is, most people were expecting more from Hellblade 2. You can complain about the injustice of this or that people weren't being reasonable but what were Xbox's expectations? Are they really happy with this game that took seven years to make having the kind of player counts/sales it is? I imagine probably not.

Back