Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Other than begging for devs to implement it, The only way is on PC with frame rate limiter

Don't do that, please.... But if you do... The hobbit got lots of juddery mess panning shots

I dont play on PC so Im stuck with whats on consoles. Do you know how difficult it would be for the developer to implement this?

Do newer OLEDs have some kind of feature do reduce this? I thought it was because of the super fast pixel respons time it felt like you´re looking at a series of still images rather than frames blending together?

S90C is QLED, right? Does it have faster pixel respons time than LG Oleds?

It's QD-OLED. Then confusingly the QN90C/D are the micro LED models. :)

OLEDs do have motion processing algorithms for 24fps content, even if you have motion smooth at zero. Whether any are to your taste is another matter.

It's QD-OLED. Then confusingly the QN90C/D are the micro LED models. :)

OLEDs do have motion processing algorithms for 24fps content, even if you have motion smooth at zero. Whether any are to your taste is another matter.

Ok, Im confused :)

So OLEDs always have some motion processing thing going on that´s not as noticable as the soap opera effect, and these more subtle always-on effects are better in newer models?

So OLEDs always have some motion processing thing going on that´s not as noticable as the soap opera effect, and these more subtle always-on effects are better in newer models?

Don't know if it's better on the newer models, since I don't seem sensitive, but there's variance between models based on the RTINGs reviews I trawled, even in TVs using the same panels.

On my LG CX OLED it's not always on. It's easily tested on scenes with flickering lights or starry skies panning.

As even with lowest motion interpolation, it shows artifacts at those scenes

*SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO*
This is one of my favorite parts in HB2. Honestly, the way they do some of these fighting sequences are so damn cool. These devs are extremely talented, and you can easily see how they could make a very cinematic action game like a lot of Sony first party games are. I've no doubt in my mind they could make combat as cinematic as this while being more traditional in the action game sense, if that was their goal. Kinda like God of War for example.

Still though, I had a grin on my face throughout this entire sequence. It's very impressive how seamless and well choreographed it is.. and it just keeps going :)

*SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO*
This is one of my favorite parts in HB2. Honestly, the way they do some of these fighting sequences are so damn cool. These devs are extremely talented, and you can easily see how they could make a very cinematic action game like a lot of Sony first party games are. I've no doubt in my mind they could make combat as cinematic as this while being more traditional in the action game sense, if that was their goal. Kinda like God of War for example.

Still though, I had a grin on my face throughout this entire sequence. It's very impressive how seamless and well choreographed it is.. and it just keeps going :)
1) Do you feel the pauses or are they invisible?

2) What happens if you get something wrong? If you don't press the block button when the axe is coming, is that resolved with a game over?

1) Do you feel the pauses or are they invisible?

2) What happens if you get something wrong? If you don't press the block button when the axe is coming, is that resolved with a game over?
1) You talking about the hit confirmation pauses? Yea, you feel them. They also act as a guide for button press timing to combo faster.

2) If you don't dodge or block, you get hit, potentially knocked down. Yes, you can be killed with a game over. Also, if you have a full focus charge and you time your focus activation just before it hits you, you grab the axe as its flying towards you, spin around and throw it back at the enemy.

I saw a youtube video criticizing media reviews of Hellblade 2 saying they all focus on how good it looks and the story but they dont mention the game play, while youtube reviewers mention that it does look great but the actual gameplay sucks, and how it's been simplified compared to Hellblade 1
Video in case anyone's interested

You know there's a lot of talk and praise about HB2's character models, animations, the Nanite based environmental geometry, Lumen based dynamic lighting, and Virtual Shadow Maps... but not enough people are talking about the Niagara based particle effects which really add so much to the game. I've always been a huge advocate of awesome particle effects and how IMO they can take a great looking game and elevate it to the next level. You know, like the beginning tanker section of Metal Gear Solid 2. The amazing rain effects brought that entire environment to life. The cutscenes looked so realistic at the time with all those amazing visual effects and particles the PS2 was able to push. The "air" of a game environment is an important thing to emulate/simulate when trying to make something look realistic. Volumetrics are certainly important. It helps ground the environment and give proper depth to a scene. Nothing is worse than when you have a beautifully created environment, and it's raining and it's obvious that you're just seeing an animated texture that follows in front of the camera. It just takes you right out of it.

In HB2 there's one environment where it's snowing, and the snow blowing across the ground and around the rock formations just looks incredible and adds so much life to this scene. There's just particles everywhere, and it helps make this look next generation IMO. I'm sorry this gif isn't exactly easy to see and I'm blowing it up quite a bit, but even then you should still be able to see how many particles are all blowing around and they interact with the geometry convincingly. I truly love effects like this!

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-II2024-06-08-16-23-37-08-ezgif-com-optimize.gif

I saw a youtube video criticizing media reviews of Hellblade 2 saying they all focus on how good it looks and the story but they dont mention the game play, while youtube reviewers mention that it does look great but the actual gameplay sucks, and how it's been simplified compared to Hellblade 1
Video in case anyone's interested
Very few reviews I read didn't mention or imply, by referencing the first game, that the game was a lot of walking with limited interaction and a narrow path. I don't know what this guy is talking about.
Gamespot gave it a 6, and here is the summery of the review.
Hellblade 2 is perhaps the most visually remarkable Xbox title to date, but is ultimately undermined by its emphasis on fidelity over story and gameplay.
PCMag called it an interactive arthouse action movie.
Basically every review mentions the sparce puzzles, lack of interactivity, narrow path and simplified combat.

Also, I think it's important to remember that YouTube feeds you videos it thinks you want to see. If you look at one video about how HB2 is a trash game, it's going to show you lots more videos about HB2 being a trash game. There are likely just as many YouTubers who loved the game. So for anyone to claim that there is a consensus on YouTube about anything shows a lack of media literacy, because the videos that are presented to any person are bias weighted by the algorithm.

Could that be your mistake your comparing written reviews to youtube reviews, while the video compares youtube reviews by media outlets eg: ign with youtube reviews by youtubers ?
Maybe. But considering I already have anecdotal and empirical evidence that contradicts any sort of consensus on youtube, my point still stands. So for him to state that there's a consensus on youtube regarding Hellblade 2's gameplay, when I've seen videos that say it's fine, would mean that there can't be a consensus.
Also, IGN gave it an 8, which is a "Great" from them. But on Game Scoop, an IGN podcast, Mark Medina and Sam Claiborn praise the graphics, but compare the gameplay to Dragon's Lair, express their dislike of the puzzles, and... Say that the story is not good. Not only does this show that there isn't consensus at IGN about the game, it also shows that there isn't even consensus about the story being good.

I'm sorry, but anyone stating that there's a consensus on Youtube about anything regarding video games hasn't watched enough video game content on Youtube.

Back