Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

How do you give Special Orders in the battle field again ? I wanted to use it in Chapter 7 but forgot how to. :(

Press the triangle button during the screen where it's a top down view of your map.

That's a tough battle - took me several tries but I finally got through it with a B rank and no lives lost.

I didn't bother to destroy the cannons on that huge tank since Scouts can make it in if your fast.

That's surprising. My scout usually dies when confronting a shocktropper.

That's why I thought the turrets have to be taken out before the scouts can lobe grenades into the radiators. Once I took out the turrets, Selvaria had enough command points to wipe out every living soul on the battlefield

I had problems with her because I needed to save a few downed soldiers. After the medic retired the fallen soldier, Selvaria can often murder the runner before the latter hit a running pace. I am scared to encounter her a second time. Seriously, that woman is a nightmare.

Press the triangle button during the screen where it's a top down view of your map.

That's a tough battle - took me several tries but I finally got through it with a B rank and no lives lost.

Thanks ! How many turns is B ? I'd like to shoot for that in Chapter 7 some day.

Play the skirmishes. That will help you level up your classes and earn money to buy stuff at the R&D. Once you get your Scouts and Shocktroopers to level 11 they'll have access to grenade launchers and flamethrowers which are mighty handy. Also buy the reports from Ms. Ellet and play the side quests when avaliable. They'll help unlock the main characters hidden potentials.

This is my list of best characters you should recruit regarding class because they get the best P and B potentials once everything is unlocked for them.
Scouts- Alicia, Musaad, Aika, Juno and Wavy
Shocktroopers- Vyse, Alex, Hannes, Lynn, Rosie and Jane
Lancers- Jann, Audrey and Hector
Engineers- Karl, Knute and Dallas
Snipers- Marina, Catherine and Oscar

Welkin's Orders are god-like and many of them comes cheap which is also handy when you get closer to the end. Visit the Cemetery after every battle and buy Orders from the old man when avaliable.

Can I play the skirmishes after I have completed the game ? e.g., Level up to 11 to replay old battles.

Can I play the skirmishes after I have completed the game ? e.g., Level up to 11 to replay old battles.

Yup. You can do that too. I like to play them now simply because you can't replay story missions for exp gaining unless your on New Game +. I figure it would be pretty hard for a first time player to get through it without doing a bit of exp gaining. You can play skirmish on easy if you find them hard. But it's up to you.

Archgamer, would you say that the two most vital classes to level up are the Scout and Shocktrooper then? I've been trying to level up evenly and keep all the classes around the same level as I move through the game but thus far, I'm not seeing a whole lot of bonuses to leveling up Snipers and Engineers.

Patsu - I believe I finished chapter 7 in 9 or 10 turns. The key for me was to move the Edelweiss up the ramp early on and let my Lancers take care of the tank's gun turrets. I got tired of spending two command points and oftentimes having the Edelweiss miss with a shell. I figured it was more cost effective to use a Lancer in that situation.

If you want to add me, my PSN name is 'Potatochip'.

Patsu - I believe I finished chapter 7 in 9 or 10 turns. The key for me was to move the Edelweiss up the ramp early on and let my Lancers take care of the tank's gun turrets. I got tired of spending two command points and oftentimes having the Edelweiss miss with a shell. I figured it was more cost effective to use a Lancer in that situation.

I've noticed that as well, Lancers seem better offensively, if you can get them into a good firing position. I'd often have my lancers spend all their ammo firing on a tank, and then resupply right away with an engineer. Destroy tanks in one phase that way.

The tank seems better against personnel (the mortar can kill enough to make up for the 2 CP cost) and as movable cover.

Did you upgrade the visor and firepower of your tank ? My Edelweiss is usually more accurate than the lancers. My level 4 (now 5) lancers have to move closer to get a better shot. They move too "slow" and are vulnerable to shocktropper. The tank mortar is its best weapon to take out holed up enemies.

In any case, my favorites are shocktropper, engineer and scout (in that order). I like engineers because they can repair tank, resupply ammo to everyone for free, and repair base/sandbags. They can also perform all the scout attacks (hand grenade, yay !).

griffineng said:

If you want to add me, my PSN name is 'Potatochip'.

I'll add you when I'm back in the office.

I think, for Chapter 7, as long as you move Edelweiss out of sight/range, you should be fine. I left my tank near the starting point, behind a wall. As the Batomy moved forward, everyone simply left it behind. It was only one rifle shot from death.

I think this is the only "Game Over" condition. Once I did that, I was pretty much "invincible". Killing Alicia, Largo or Rosie will only retreat them instead of ending the game.

Did you upgrade the visor and firepower of your tank ? My Edelweiss is usually more accurate than the lancers. My level 4 (now 5) lancers have to move closer to get a better shot. They move too "slow" and are vulnerable to shocktropper. The tank mortar is its best weapon to take out holed up enemies.

The Edelweiss is more accurate and more powerful, but still, at 2 CP you can't afford to miss at all. With Lancers at 1 CP it's not that big a deal if they miss, especially with an engineer around. I think tanks have value, but I don't think they're the best tank-killers. Like I said, a pair of lancers, if you position them correctly, can take out a tank for like 6 CP. The Edelweiss will probably be halfway down the second tank for that many points.

That's quite true. I usually have to repair my tank after an encounter, so I ended up using more CPs than the firepower alone. Human will restore their health automatically on the next turn (right ?).

It's just that for some unknown reason, my Lancers su*k even with the lance maxed out. The only time they won a game for me was Chapter 7, because the Batomy was grotesquely huge, the turrets were out and the lancers were safely tucked behind walls. They did take out the tank very quickly. It's probably just my trust after a few early bad experiences.

I also forgot about snipers. They are wild cards to me. After upgrades, they are wonderful in taking out human enemies with no/minimal casualties.

That's quite true. I usually have to repair my tank after an encounter, so I ended up using more CPs than the firepower alone. Human will restore their health automatically on the next turn (right ?).

Not entirely, but yes. But they can self-heal too, or they can heal each other with ragnaid. Lancer's movement sucks, though, at that the Edelweiss beats them. As for sucking, at first that was true. But then I stopped, say, aiming for anything specific and just tried firing at the tank's 'center of mass'. It usually works, though sometimes they hit the treads.

Archgamer, would you say that the two most vital classes to level up are the Scout and Shocktrooper then? I've been trying to level up evenly and keep all the classes around the same level as I move through the game but thus far, I'm not seeing a whole lot of bonuses to leveling up Snipers and Engineers.

Level up evenly until they all reach Elite. Then go for more Scout, Shocktrooper and Sniper leveling exclusively. They become important later on.

All the classes are useful. Sniper class will become useful only until you get the better rifles that has a smaller crosshair then the crap you get in the beginning.

The Edelweiss is more accurate and more powerful, but still, at 2 CP you can't afford to miss at all.

With the full barrel upgrade you get ragnite rounds. Add and equip as many high accuracy blocks for it and the Edelweiss becomes a tank sniper of it's own. You won't miss anything anymore even if the enemy tank is more then halfway across the map.

Made it to Chapter 15. Had to save in the middle of recent battles to avoid mistakes.

Am surprised at the richness of the story. Even though the presentation is a pastel watercolor world, the game theme is truly mature and conflicting. Makes most FPSes feels empty and void.

Although some parts feel a little cliche, the overall progress is quick, eventful and tight. I feel there must be a master storyteller and gamer behind this game.

The game got a lot of love on 1up yours this weekend (as did Motorstorm PR again, and LBP).

That's great to hear. It is definitely in the same league as other top tier productions.

KZ2, R2 and Bioshock have plenty of visually bloody elements to excite players. Valkyria's violence is invisible but heart felt. The story and game took on some human issues dead center. And yet over these issues that have indeed occurred in real life, the Japanese painted a watercolor anime (of all things) to cover it up. ^_^

It is a mature title, somewhat like a novel.

It is definitely in the same league as other top tier productions.

It's production values are just insane: the Encyclopedia really has background on everything, the voice acting is just excellent, and on the top: the GODLY soundtrack

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8l-49-en-15-valkyria-70-2om3-43-9v.html

And the sales are: slightly over 100,000 in Japan and something like 25,000 in Europe, dunno about USA... this is what happens if you use all of your budget on gameplay and presentation and neglect advertising.

It is definitely in the same league as other top tier productions.

It's production values are just insane: the Encyclopedia really has background on everything, the voice acting is just excellent, and on the top: the GODLY soundtrack

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8l-49-en-15-valkyria-70-2om3-43-9v.html

And the sales are: slightly over 100,000 in Japan and something like 25,000 in Europe, dunno about USA... this is what happens if you use all of your budget on gameplay and presentation and neglect advertising.

The voice acting is terrible. As is the script.

Back