Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

According to this GAF post, CircuitCity will be selling Valkyria Chronicles for $44.99 between 9-15 of November.

That's great news if true - it will definitely help ease the pain on the wallet over the coming weeks.

Does anyone know roughly how long this game is? I am under the impression that there are 30-40 odd tactical battles that take up the majority of time with short cutscenes to fill in the transitions between battles. Somewhere between 25-30 hrs perhaps?

Am I missing anything?

Was waiting patiently for more reviews.

Metacritic score: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/valkyriachronicles?q=Valkyria (87)

Eurogamer complained about weak AI in some spots, inconsistencies in cover system and no MP. Other than that, all the reviewers seem to like the game a lot.

Eurogamer said:
This shortlist of fairly fundamental flaws is sadly just enough to prevent the game from reaching the upper echelons of greatness. It's absolutely stunning, visually speaking, with a lovely sketchy watercolour Miyazaki style that looks breathtaking in HD. The music, by Final Fantasy Tactics composer Hitoshi Sakimoto, is of a similarly high standard, alternating between martial urgency and plaintive themes with confident grace. The story is witty and well told, while the characters are memorable and blessed with surprisingly good voice acting. There's so much to praise that it feels churlish to dwell on the negatives, yet there they are - and they're so inextricably linked to the core of the gameplay that they can't help but tarnish an otherwise wonderful game.

Make no mistake, Valkyria Chronicles is a really, really, really good tactical RPG, and fans of the genre should pick it up without delay, but beneath the inviting exterior and thoughtfully designed battle system lies a game with a few too many clunky inconsistencies which directly impact the strategic heart of the experience.

Been playing the full version extensively over the weekend and I absolutely love it. Gorgeous little gem of a game indeed. Sadly a turd like the newest Spider-man game is probably going to sell a heck of a lot more copies than this.

So did anybody pick up this game besides me? I pick it up yesterday and started the game today. I'm having a blast with it. One of the best games on PS3. I was never much of a SJRPG fan, but this one lives up to expectation.

It arrived to my mail yesterday. I'll give it a go this weekend (damn work that steals my time and soul)

Is it a FFT type game? I see all the people saying how good it is but somehow I got it mixed up with Eternal Sonata when I saw some SS. Too many games this season, I'll put it on my 09 list, it may $20 by then :)

Is it a FFT type game? I see all the people saying how good it is but somehow I got it mixed up with Eternal Sonata when I saw some SS. Too many games this season, I'll put it on my 09 list, it may $20 by then :)

It's FFT-ish in that it's strategy. Try the demo; from reports, the difficulty certainly ramps up, but it'll give you a taste of the combat and of the difference classes.

Wow! I just beaten the game. It's epic. While the battle system is unique and customizable, I'll say the main reason why I kept playing it was because of the story. It gets far more interesting as you progress. Probably the best JRPG's I've played in a long time.

My only nitpicks is that the AI is somewhat dumb at times and they tend to follow somes scripts as they plan their attack. But the game still presents a good challenge. Also, the ending was kinda short but it was a complete ending.

Apparently the latest news on the game is that Sega is going to do an anime series next Spring at Sony A1 Pictures in Japan.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/929/929325p1.html

I am up to my forehead with work, and too many games to play.

This is one of the titles I look forward to play (closely after LBP and R2). Is there some sort of free DLC ? I have lost track of game happenings >_<

Wow! I just beaten the game. It's epic. While the battle system is unique and customizable, I'll say the main reason why I kept playing it was because of the story. It gets far more interesting as you progress.

I finally get to play the game. It's just as you said. In fact, I like it better than LBP, R2 or Bioshock (Have been a turn-based RPG fan thanks to Metal Gear Ac!d). The music suits my taste too.

The bonus is the relatively short episodes. I can progress quickly as I take a break from work.

EDIT: The demo does not illustrate the glorious Gallia world enough. Some of the encounters are not easy even though the AI may make dubious decisions.

This is one of the titles I look forward to play (closely after LBP and R2). Is there some sort of free DLC ? I have lost track of game happenings >_<

Even though I started LBP, Gears 2, R2 and Fable 2, I put them on hold just so I can finish VC which I did. Starting a second time with VC and playing little by little with the other games I have.

Man, this board doesn't get much love with VC. :devilish:

DLC was already announce awhile back.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...chronicles-shipping-out-today-dlc-on-the-way/

You get to play as Edie and Selvaria to go with an Extra Hard Skirmish mode. Said to be coming next Spring in US & Europe.

Yes, I was hoping you'd respond earlier. Have so many questions but I don't know where to begin. ^_^

I am surprised by the game's depth. It keeps adding new game options and sites for me to level-up Squad 7. How do the personal relationships between the squad members affect the story ? As it stands right now, I am liking the drama. Are there cool weapons later (i.e., Should I save my points to upgrade sophisticated weapons later instead of wasting them on early weapons ?).

I hate to see my trained soldiers get killed by tanks and shocktroopers. I felt compelled to upgrade my equipments and existing squad members as much as possible. However, I am afraid Squad 7 might implode due to my selection of members (Then I have to start training level 1 noobs >_<)

I am still pretty early in the game (somewhere in Chapter 4).

Back