Sea of Thieves [XO, PC, XGP, PS]

TrueAchievements has their review up: https://www.trueachievements.com/n31991/sea-of-thieves-review

Since its reveal, the concern we've been hearing about Sea of Thieves has been its apparent lack of structure or content. The game looks beautiful and charmingly lighthearted, but "what do you actually do?" The question was one Rare couldn't shake leading all the way up to release, and to the credit of those wondering, it seemed to be a fair question. The answer, as it turns out, is a whole lot, thanks to memorable player-driven storytelling where any voyage could be your shining achievement, but the tabula rasa approach won't be for everyone.
Sea of Thieves can be a low floor, high ceiling experience. The wrong crew is the quickest way to find boredom before treasures. Sharing seas with griefers can be rage-inducing too, but in both instances, you're always able to quit out and try your luck again with new players. Of course, it's played best with a solid team of you and three friends, but provided you bring a willingness to fill in the gaps with your own role-playing or shenanigans, Sea of Thieves is a charming and gorgeous title no matter the team size brimming with emergent stories that the relatively basic outline provides. Play it long enough and it's impossible to not come away with your own tales to tell. Sea of Thieves is all journey with no real destination, but if that doesn't immediately turn you away, it'll be a pirates life for you.
Seems to be the general consensus. Like pointing at a sandpit - "it's a load of fine grained minerals. Nothing else. No goals. Go have fun." If you can't have fun, that's more an issue with your interests and values than the plaything provided.

Seems to be the general consensus. Like pointing at a sandpit - "it's a load of fine grained minerals. Nothing else. No goals. Go have fun." If you can't have fun, that's more an issue with your interests and values than the plaything provided.
the assessment of the game is pretty accurate.
It's a game of its own niche right now.
If there were more games like it, perhaps the review scores would be more valuable in measuring between like titles.

Please don't mention battle royale in this thread. The next thing we'll see is a 100 pirate server with a lethal storm acting as the circle. :rolleyes:
that would be awesome ;) you should design games. Sail to islands to collect supplies. Sail off before the super storm destroys your boat

Not trying to change the subject but Rare posted a video today about their week 1 update & list of things they're still having problems & plans going forward. New content will be covered once these bugs & server scale issues are ironed out.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/launch-status-update

Here are the v1.01 patch release notes...

https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes

Btw, the "death cost" idea they had slipped into last week's release notes had received near universal hate from the community & has been scrapped. See? They are definitely listening community feedback.

Tommy McClain

Not trying to change the subject but Rare posted a video today about their week 1 update & list of things they're still having problems & plans going forward. New content will be covered once these bugs & server scale issues are ironed out.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/launch-status-update

Here are the v1.01 patch release notes...

https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes

Btw, the "death cost" idea they had slipped into last week's release notes had received near universal hate from the community & has been scrapped. See? They are definitely listening community feedback.

Tommy McClain
it requires a full reinstall btw.
I started just now. 18GB down.

it requires a full reinstall btw.
I started just now. 18GB down.
Yeah a full new version, which means they screwed up Game Pass subscribers as it's no longer valid. A lot of pissed off people! Was hoping to play it tonight, oh well.

Yeah a full new version, which means they screwed up Game Pass subscribers as it's no longer valid. A lot of pissed off people! Was hoping to play it tonight, oh well.

Oh really? I figured it would just be a full download because they didn't want to wait the extra 2 or 3 days to get it setup as a differential patch. I cant recall where I saw it mentioned about that, maybe it was a dev notes thing.

It shows up as an update on the Xbox, and I only have it through Game Pass. I'll find out in 18.62 GBs from now.

Wait, what? Why isn't the new version available on game pass?
You and thousands of others are asking the same question :) apparently they've been working on fixing it all day.

It shows up as an update on the Xbox, and I only have it through Game Pass. I'll find out in 18.62 GBs from now.
Yep people download the whole thing again and get an error that the game is no longer valid.

Installed for me. Took me A couple of tries but didn’t need to do much except to refresh the store app and try installing multiple times.

So 2 hours ago it was displaying the please purchase to play message. but now it loaded up fine. The fixed the Game Pass issue.

Been doing a lot More solo sailing. It’s really addictive to just sail especially when the waves are nutty.

Good haul with Azbat last night, haha. Good times, can really lose track of time when you're out there. Another 1am voyage for me, totally way passed my sleeping curfew.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/28/community-thank-you-sea-of-thieves/
The worldwide excitement for Sea of Thieves has made it the fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation. Having witnessed more than a million players on launch day, our community continues to grow and now has more than two million players. Alongside this, Sea of Thieves is already the best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10.

So launch day was 8 days ago? 1 million to 2 million unique players in about 8 days? That's a decent increase in players.

I expect this number to keep increasing. Concurrent players will drop off as well, but the game pass will keep pushing more folks to try the game out for relatively cheap. So I expect an interesting up down in concurrent players. But the unique number of players in a month will soar.

Last edited:
Back