Schooling

I need some advice.

I'm going to go to school to either become 1) a programmer or 2) a 3d graphics artist. I do not know which for sure at this time. Right now I'm working a full time job and going to community college full time to take basics while I figure which school I'm going to go to, for what, and how I'm going to finance everything. I'd like to know which is the more viable field that will ensure better success on average and what type of schools are best to get degrees for this type of thing.

Since many of you here are gods of these industries I would really appreciate some help and guidance on how to get to the end point and any other advice you have.

I've seen those gaming schools on TV ads but they are located out of state and one even stats on the ad that it's not intended for certain states, including Texas, which is where I'm from.

I realize I was a procrastinator in school and should have figured this all out then but I'm here now stuck at a crossroads with not much of a clue where to turn. And since I have virtually zero free time right now to research this (I'm typing this from my basic computer class I'm required for some reason) it is very hard to get the information I need. And now I'm off to my next class..

(sorry if this is wrong wrong forum section to post this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Define "success." Are we interested in monetary gain, personal satisfaction, something else? What do you like to do?

ASIC designers need a bachelor's degree minimum so I recommend a degree in computer engineering. This degree tends to be a blend of hardware (electrical engineering) and software (computer science) so you don't have to decide on hardware or software until you're ready to graduate.

Define "success." Are we interested in monetary gain, personal satisfaction, something else? What do you like to do?

Monetary gain and have greater demand for that type of career.

ASIC designers need a bachelor's degree minimum so I recommend a degree in computer engineering. This degree tends to be a blend of hardware (electrical engineering) and software (computer science) so you don't have to decide on hardware or software until you're ready to graduate.

Sorry I meant 3d artist (like games) I've changed it.

Mainly I'm looking for what schooling I will need to be either a programmer or a 3d artist to get degrees or what ever is looked for by employers for those jobs and what specific schools if any are recommended to go to (technical schools? or university?)

Basically what did you all do to get where you are?

For both areas you mention, programming and 3d art, it's my opinion that a university/school provides you with:

- the tools
- the environment
- the people

however, it's up to you if you use these or not. Just going in, getting you degree, and bugging out won't help you. You will be 'qualified' but only in writing.
The critical area for programming/3d art are very different. For programming, the ability to research is critical. By this I don't mean typing 'precomputed radiance transfer code' into google, I mean the ability to analyse a problem - to which there will always be multiple solutions. For 3d art, it's similar, but more abstract. I'm not an expert though, so I won't preach only to be shot down. A university, unfortunately, doesn't really teach this though.

The problem is, I've seen more than enough people go through, get 'straight As', yet these are the types of programmers who would utterly freakout if they saw 'baadf00d', in short, they are useless. The ones I've known usually got utterly slaughtered when they decided to do a PHD or some other post graduate work that requires actual thinking (that said I personally believe most post graduate work is pointless...) :p

So my point, I guess, is that you must not treat university as a means to a job. It is a tool to help you focus and refine your existing ability. You need to be enjoying what you do. Doing set 'homework' and projects for your classes isn't enough, those should be secondary and left to the last minute. You should be spending all your time working on cool and fun stuff (in the same area), All the while getting a piece of paper that proves you are arbitrarily capable.

All my opinion remember :)

[edit]
I'll just mention we don't have 'game universities' over here like they do in the states, etc. So my opinions may not apply to them :p

First of all, don't do it for the money. You need a passion for technology or the art of game development to become happy in this industry.

Secondly, school doesn't really matter, as long as you do what you like to do. If you like maths, go maths, if you like science, go science, if you like arts, go arts. Just make sure you reach your fullest potential by never taking the easiest path. But don't take courses only because it would improve job opportunity. There's plenty of time to see what the job market is like when you graduate. Just be passionate and good at what you do and you'll be fine.

I'm a computer science engineer, but the real reason I'm in this industry is because I started writing pixels to the screen when I was 16. University did not make me a good programmer, my hobbies did.

First of all, don't do it for the money. You need a passion for technology or the art of game development to become happy in this industry.

Secondly, school doesn't really matter, as long as you do what you like to do. If you like maths, go maths, if you like science, go science, if you like arts, go arts. Just make sure you reach your fullest potential by never taking the easiest path. But don't take courses only because it would improve job opportunity. There's plenty of time to see what the job market is like when you graduate. Just be passionate and good at what you do and you'll be fine.

I'm a computer science engineer, but the real reason I'm in this industry is because I started writing pixels to the screen when I was 16. University did not make me a good programmer, my hobbies did.

exactly, my goal was to become a doctor becuase most docotrs make a lot of money, but i later founf out that i loved computers, not humans!

I'm kinda in the same position. Only I cant chose between learning Japanese (just for fun, wouldnt want to do anything for work with that) or 3d modelling (wich I would like for work but im not to interrested in to spend 4 years at uni). Im also a bit scared I suck at being a modeller. I managed to make a pretty decent looking car a few months ago but alot of times I just cant seem to get my hands to do what my brain want and screw up my model (though I do manage to atleast make things recognizable nowdays).

Back