Sacred 2

I played a bit and like it, but could not commit the time so I will buy it later. I want to co-op with my buddy and he cannot afford it now. Great interview BTW, it was refreshing to read about PS3 development, it seems like with less time and people you got parity, nice job.

Yes, it'd be nice to see what the development team could have done with a console-specific title and sufficient support. If that skill had been turned to creating a console engine instead of porting a PC one, it could ahve done some great things. :(

*sigh*
What's the point of all that glorious content, square parsecs of terrain, millions of quests, if your basic interaction with the game doesn't work? Who decided that making the first swing/firing of a weapon a guaranteed miss (not even targetting anything) was a good idea? Who decided that (re)picking any random target for every consecutive swing/firing of a weapon was the most fun solution?

I can even sort of sympathize with not checking for occlusion for picking ranged targets (hence when you're in a cave, you'll usually fire your bow at enemies behind massive walls), that just screams "lack of time" at me. But why aren't the targets not at least prioritized by proximity? How hard is it really to get the distance between two characters, stuff it into an array and sort that? Five lines of code in C++. Hasn't been done. Should have.

Combat response is poor. Sticking arrows into enemy models is nice and all, but some sort of hit feedback (flinching animation and audio cue) is mandatory in this post-Diablo world. Diablo 1 btw. Sacred 2 has none. I've seen one-man projects get this right ffs.

And what's with the audio? I haven't understood a word the NPCs (or my own) are saying so far (can only adjust volumes in the main menu!) and I really wouldn't care, if there was at least an option for subtitles. There isn't.

I've only played 3~4 hours and already think about selling it. I don't see a silver lining of fun here, just the potential for a 30-hour optimistic wait concluded with "oh, so it didn't get any better after all".

*sigh*

Just a quick heads-up:

The new owner of the Sacred IP has posted some information, but it's in German so I thought I'd give you the important points:

-No addon for consoles.
-No more patches for PC.
-Possibly more console patches.
-No more DLC.

...and for the sake of completeness, someone get interviewed.

The German is both more specific and mysterious on the point of console patches. As a response to the questions "Will there be updates solving bugs? Improvements to the online play", they replay with "bugs will be forwarded by Deep Silver to an external development team".

So I would assume that this would lead to updates/patches, but it's pretty mysterious what kind of development team we're talking about and what kind of budget they have to both make and release fixes.

@Rolf: the language is purposefully gibberish. There are only some languages and some characters that actually make sense, I think.

@Rolf: the language is purposefully gibberish. There are only some languages and some characters that actually make sense, I think.
No I don't think that's the whole story. My own character will sometimes make a comment when entering a new place or making a supposedly significant kill or something, and I can catch a few words of English here and there. Some of the quest givers seem to read the (written) quest description as well, and if I follow along it kind of matches. It's just that the mix for voices is hollow, lots of bass and whoom-whoom and a few esses on the top end, but missing all the mids. It's as if you ripped out the center channel from a HT setup. The thing is I'm using stereo speakers (and sometimes stereo headphones). I want voice to come out the sides. I don't have a dedicated center channel. Maybe that means I'm not part of the test matrix anymore, but I'd like to be.

It doesn't make a difference how I set my PS3 audio output. 2.0 setups are the only ones it will autodetect on HDMI anyway, so that's correct. Manual 2.0: no difference. Analog stereo: haven't tried.

First PS3 game where I encounter anything of the sort. And I've played a whole bunch.

I have no problem with audio character's comment on Dolby surround, I play with a english version and I can clearly understood.
May be a problem with 2.0, The next time I will play Sacred 2, I'm trying 2.0 on TV (but it will be a long time, I'm just starting SO4…).

I must apologize for a false alarm on the audio. It was my new monitor's fault. It doesn't retain the "surround off" setting properly. It randomly (?) flips back on when I cycle the power, despite showing it as still off in the OSD menu. I have to toggle it twice to get it right again.

It's a NEC MultiSync 24WMGX³ btw, and aside from this, it's pretty good.

Just got this game for the PS3, definitely a time sink!

I'm experiencing an issue though when playing with the wife where the game tells me that we can't trade items because her account isn't signed in (it's a local only account without a matching PSN ID because she did not need one). It's dumb that we cannot trade items but fine, I can accept that there was some technical reason this was done.

What is annoying though is that since "trade" is mapped to L1, everytime we are close to each other the trade menu option lights up. This sucks as you cannot open a crate or talk to anyone without also hitting L1 and we are regularly getting interrupted with the "you can't trade" alert. This is especially bad when it happens in battle by accident.

Anyone know if there is any way to disable that option?

If not, does anyone know if trade actually works if the second account is in fact logged in?

Cheers

My wife bought it for me as a present, I indeed agree it's a damned time sink :)
I enjoy it so far even if I'm far away to have grasp all of the levelling mechanics.
I confirm what other have say it's a bit tough to play on a SD_TV but it's something that is shared among many title this gen. On the bright side tearing is a minor issue in SD.
It's to bad there are some bugs and no hope for a patch. The thing that annoy me the most is loot that you can't catch or that you catch but the loot remains (sorry if it's unclear).
I really like foliage in the game, outdoor area are neat my wife like it :)
I've tried various classes so far at low level when I'll have a better understanding of the gameplay/levelling mechanic, I'll start a proper campaign in coop with my wife.
Overall I'm pretty pleased even if some tiny things would have make the game better, a more detailed world map may have helped for instance, some extra in game informations in regard to levelling. The worse thing imho is how saves are handled, you can go back on a bad levelling decision and it can happen fast, I try something on my first character I wasn't happy with it so I didn't save, i quit and reload to find out that the changes have been saved...
Anyway so far a good game in niche that I like but I think the game could have reach greatness.

For the loot check the option of the collect loot, you can be have a setting for some loot degree.
And in co-op slipscreen or online some loots are for the others players.
For the start in solo Seraphin is the more easy to handle, and really powerful at high level. temple's gardian and dryade is a more simple to start in co-op like elf mage.

For SD text visibility some titles handle this in better way (Dragon Age, and Mass Effect for resting in lot of text to read), but yes many titles don't do it right particularly if devs don't have lot of experience on console title.

I disagree. Dryad completely owns everything. The root spell incapacities every boss meaning no worries, and the multishot arrows do crazy damage before ever getting hit. The elf is conversely utterly useless, because they don't get the weapon bonuses of other classes to their spells, meaning they do a fraction of the damage while being feeble.

I really wouldn't try to understand the leveling mechanics if I were you. Too much in this game is broken to make it worthwhile. You can invest points in something expecting a bonus which plain doesn't happen, and you can't pinpoint why. I suggest you try a few characters up to lowish levels (you can get a character to level 15 in 6 hours or less. Under three hours is my fastest time) with all the spells and see what you like, then stick with them.

I disagree. Dryad completely owns everything. The root spell incapacities every boss meaning no worries, and the multishot arrows do crazy damage before ever getting hit. The elf is conversely utterly useless, because they don't get the weapon bonuses of other classes to their spells, meaning they do a fraction of the damage while being feeble.

I really wouldn't try to understand the leveling mechanics if I were you. Too much in this game is broken to make it worthwhile. You can invest points in something expecting a bonus which plain doesn't happen, and you can't pinpoint why. I suggest you try a few characters up to lowish levels (you can get a character to level 15 in 6 hours or less. Under three hours is my fastest time) with all the spells and see what you like, then stick with them.

Interesting on PC, the Elf is a badass (should be the same for console). With the right spell (can't remember the name of it, haven't played in ages), and mods you can kill 30+ enemies with 1 shot. Bosses weren't much more difficult... They are quite weak at the beginning however.

All the characters can be extremely dominating and easy mode if you just picked the right build... Oh and socketed the right runes. As well playing weapon switch to avoid long cooldowns.

Regards,
SB

I'm guessing in the PC version, the magic bonuses apply? In the PS3 (and XB360?) version, the +magic damage bonuses aren't applied at all. Such that a 200 hitpoint fireball does 200 damage, plus maybe a bit of wisdom modifier or whatever. Whereas a weapon would do 200 dmg + str bonus or whatever + weapon dmg bonuses, and all sorts of other stuff from rings and armour so that damage mounted. Suffice to say, playing coop I started a mage and she seemed quite good, but was quickly eclipsed by the Seraphim and Temple Guardian I was accompanying (around level 17 IIRC). I was a useless tag-along, and swapped out to the Dryad. Tried a bit of voodoo-type magic and it was fairly pantsy, but the attacks and buffs were awesome. The main buff with defense, armour and healing bonus is formidable.

Oh, one important skill you MUST get is the Shopping skill. The improved quality of wares available add a considerable bonus, pretty much doubling the number of bonuses you can wear because rings and amulets will be available with secondary bonuses. eg. Without shopping, you may be offered a ring of +10% dmg, but with shopping that ring could be +10% dmg and +10% defense or such.

I only tried shopping when I created a shopper/farmer character to net me the platinum trophy, and only then did I realise what a mistake it was to not have this from the beginning! I had the Run skill from early on to run faster, but the shopping skill meant I was buying boots with 4 or 5 bonuses including upwards of +10% run speed. It was far better to buy good quality items with boosts than put points into individual boosts. Because of high-quality goods, I had a speed of something like 150% if I loaded up all my bonuses, making me almost as fast as when riding my lizard, which came in useful running through caves.

For the loot check the option of the collect loot, you can be have a setting for some loot degree.
And in co-op slipscreen or online some loots are for the others players.
Well I checked, changed to only "collect xxx" then back to collect "all" but it still no longer work as expected, I can't take some loots or it sounds like I take it but visually the loot remains. I think it's a bug (the problem is the same solo and co-op).
rekator said:
For the start in solo Seraphin is the more easy to handle, and really powerful at high level. temple's gardian and dryade is a more simple to start in co-op like elf mage.
Shifty Geezer said:
So far, the classes I struggled the more with (hence at low level below 10) is the elf (not a surprised as mage usually take time to mature) and the inquisitor. I think I'll follow your advice shifty, I've pretty much already discard the inquisitor as an option, I'm iffy on the elf, if my wife settle for a tank (the Seraphin or the Shadow warrior should qualify).
So far the two characters that I struggle the less with were the shadow warrior and the Driad (but at low level it could be chance and I may have find acceptable gear faster).
From my read the Driad seems to be a hell of character, I read of a crazy dual wield mage staff build that looked impressive.
rekator said:
For SD text visibility some titles handle this in better way (Dragon Age, and Mass Effect for resting in lot of text to read), but yes many titles don't do it right particularly if devs don't have lot of experience on console title.
Sarko needs to allow for real class actions, I'd sue MS and those careless editors!!! My eyesight is going down (or it's age... :LOL: )

If you're after the platinum trophy, you want a moderate level Shadow Warrior. The invisibility power can be turned into a permanent buff meaning you can explore without having to fight monsters, saving many, many hours. If you're level 30+, you'll be able to wear some visibility range boosts adding a good 50% to field-of-view, meaning filling that map 50% faster to get the mapper trophy.

Oh, another big bonus to the Dryad is the 'sprint' feat. It's actually a teleporter like the mage's only without the lag. Very convenient for passing through walls and saving long journeys around obstacles. Comes in especially handy in towns where you can beam into houses and walk out the other side of the street.

I've already sunk tenth of hours in the games and so far I've to conceed that it makes it for me.
Rekator you were right about the loot, I may not have validated my choice properly (collect all) in the first time as I checked again and it was set to "normal" :)
I'm really enjoying my time in Ancaria, it's really bad the game is no longer supported as I can see my-self spending <100 hours in it.
So far I've really tried three classes (~lvl15, Driad, high elf, and Inquisitor) and I can see a quiet some depth in every classes, you have multiple viable option for every class, that's rich.
I watched again some tests and in regard to bugs so far for me the experience is close to seamless (some time I'm stuck calling the world map resolve the issue, it doesn't happen often tho).
I'm on the verge of thinking that some reviews have been pretty tough, it's a must for any hack'n slash fan imho. Controls implementation is great to an extend I can no longer see my-self play that kind of game with mouse again.

The world is beautiful it's really sad that you can't switch to a more "third person view" as some parts of the word are calling for it.
It's most likely the game I'll play the most in 2009 early 2010.

Maybe the review perspective is heavily affected by previous similar titles? Have you played BGDA or CON?

is no longer supported.

Ouch, the console version isn't supported anymore? :( That's a shame as an expansion was just released for PC, although I haven't had the time to even think of picking it up.

Good game, but so many flaws and bugs, but that's how it was for the first one also, and I loved that one.

Regards,
SB

Back