Sacred 2

22psi

Veteran
http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=41191&mode=thread&order=0

Sacred 2 is a deep fantasy RPG where players are immersed in an epic journey through the medieval-like kingdom of Ancaria. Highly action-oriented, Ascaron's Sacred 2 features pitched battles and a wide range of enticing quests. At GDC Ascaron announced that Sacred 2 is also coming to Xbox 360, and we will have the first impressions later this week.

The first one sold pretty well, so here's hoping that the 2nd installment will do at least as well.

Hopefully that might benefit PC users too as Sacred was pretty much broken on release. Although, to their credit, Ascaron fixed and expanded upon the original game to appease buyers with Sacred Gold, that kind of release won't fly on a console.

Yeah I have the first Sacred it's a fun game and all but there are still some bugs that never got fixed. Hopefully they clean that up for a console release.

So it's like Diablo ? Diablo was one of my favorite games but why is this special ? ^_^ The preview article doesn't quite say enough.

For third party games, I have my eyes set on Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia thus far.

Maybe read this then:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87306

some bits I picked up on a quick readthrough:
- huge and beautiful gameworld (though the screenshots don't give me that vibe, to be honest)
- dip-in-dip-out co-op up to six players (or 16 on pc vs 4 on 360, depending on which article you read)
- develop your character into something truly unique (simple example: fireball, one could develop strength of the fireball, other could develop it splitting into three fireballs, other could develop it so it gets homing capabilities, etc.)
- good AI

Sacred was a decent European Diablo clone and the UK version featured quite a bit of gore. There was also an expansion released, Sacred: Underworld. It's worth a look for action RPG fans.

It [strike]surprises[/strike] disappoints me that the visuals in these games are always on the low-end of the graphics curve. As long as the coop fun is there, it'll get a sale (heck, it'll get three from us just for being what it is!) but it would be nice if this genre wasn't all the reluctant, low-budget effort just tapping into the latent market.

- huge and beautiful gameworld (though the screenshots don't give me that vibe, to be honest)

Yeah, all those screenshots are basically with the camera as close to the character as possible. That's not really how you'd play it.

I guess someone really wants to show of the bikin^H^H^H^H^H armor on the characters.

It [strike]surprises[/strike] disappoints me that the visuals in these games are always on the low-end of the graphics curve. As long as the coop fun is there, it'll get a sale (heck, it'll get three from us just for being what it is!) but it would be nice if this genre wasn't all the reluctant, low-budget effort just tapping into the latent market.

I thought Titan's Quest and Hellgate were on the high-end of the spectrum (and it just so happens that Iron Lore and Flagship are out of business). Diablo III will scale nicely across a broad range of systems -- critical if they want to reach a large market on the PC. Sacred, being developed by a small German team, is not going to have the budget or production values of a AAA-title. Even so, Sacred is a fun game, and they have significantly increased production values for the sequel. This time around, they have full 3D environments and two console ports. I hope it does well -- I really enjoy their games. If there's one area from the first game that needs improvement, it's multiplayer. After that, I would say English voice acting.

I bought the PC Collectors edition which comes with an extra disc of hi-res textures - I posted some shots in the screenshot thread here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1224377#post1224377

What I like about the Sacred series is that the games do not take themself that .seriously ,the 2nd one even more than the first. I hope for foreign people that it gets translated well, because the German version has some really funny stuff...the Gnome folks have some great one liners when they die and your hero always has some sarcastic Duke style comments in the right situations.

Maybe read this then:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87306

some bits I picked up on a quick readthrough:
- dip-in-dip-out co-op up to six players (or 16 on pc vs 4 on 360, depending on which article you read)
- develop your character into something truly unique (simple example: fireball, one could develop strength of the fireball, other could develop it splitting into three fireballs, other could develop it so it gets homing capabilities, etc.)
- good AI

So far I have played the PC version up to level 25 ( and only just discoverd around 10% of the map maybe), and the character development is really remarkable.
In addition to all the global abilities you can learn, each character class has a set of 3 x 5 special abilities. You can level these up by using runes as well as unlock expansions by levelling the relating global stat. you can choose 1 of 2 with each level of the expansions (like a tree structure). Of course you can make combos out of them like in the first game.
So my shadow warrior has a constant "buff " running for restoring health etc plus a combo of circular strike and a tactical series of strikes. The two strikes in this combos I have expanded to leech health ,push enemies back etc., so it`s a rather traditional type of fighter I did, but one could go in a different direction.

Plus another cool feature I found: I got a rare magical staff that shoots magic, so it`s like a ranged weapon and I thought I would not have much use for it as a fighter but the game translates my special move combo into a series of spread and sped up ranged attacks , awesome !

This game is sure getting lost. There are zero reviews on Gamerankings! After the abomination of Untold Legends on PS3, possibly the worst game I've ever played, the fans of cooperative fantasy action games are craving a new next-gen experience, yet among all the other upcoming titles this seems to be lost. From what I've seen, it's not looking incredible, like Diablo III and every other game of this ilk, there's no solidity to the combat and it's a matter of fight animations, polygon clipping galore, as background dice-rolls change stats. But these games are few and far between, and we have to take what we can get. But in this case, I've no way of knowing if it's a dog or not, as no-one's reviewing it!

The demo is REALLY PRETTY, IMO.

I picked up sacred gold on steam for 10 bucks and I'll almost certainly buy sacred 2 after I finish the original. ..I don't have tons of time to game and I actually LIKE that you don't have an obscenely complicated system for leveling, etc. I'll never play the game on the hardest difficulties so I probably never need to worry about going down the "wrong" route with my character customization.

The only thing that might give me pause is the co-op for the 360 possibilities (though I don't have a 360 I've been eyeing the price drops. . ..by the time sacred2 hits on the 360 the post holiday price drop might also hit.....)

The only thing that might give me pause is the co-op for the 360 possibilities (though I don't have a 360 I've been eyeing the price drops. . ..by the time sacred2 hits on the 360 the post holiday price drop might also hit.....)

Don't expect another price drop less than six months later.

I have the pc version (it's out here for a month now) and I can say that it's good as far as Diablo clones can get... But it's nothing special. The people who liked sacred 1 will like this one too. And the graphics are very good for this type of game. Certainly better than Titans quest.
Basicaly, it's a good game to play while waiting for D3 to be released. ;)

Back