Sacred 2

It looks like sadly Ascaron is on the verge of bankroll... I really hope that sacred 2 will still make it by june as expected.
It could be a great year for non fps heavy gamers I can't wait:
Sacred2
dragon age
the witcher
risen
Games may have different success but it's cool to have choices in the "non fps" category for once in a while (anyway I'm still waiting for fable2 and fallout 3 prices to go really down ~30euros)
I'm sure that sacred 2 won't be goty material but for some reason I feel like I would really like to spend quiet some time on it.

It looks like sadly Ascaron is on the verge of bankroll... I really hope that sacred 2 will still make it by june as expected.
It could be a great year for non fps heavy gamers I can't wait:
Sacred2
dragon age
the witcher
risen
Games may have different success but it's cool to have choices in the "non fps" category for once in a while (anyway I'm still waiting for fable2 and fallout 3 prices to go really down ~30euros)
I'm sure that sacred 2 won't be goty material but for some reason I feel like I would really like to spend quiet some time on it.

From what I had heard, Sacred 2 wasn't really in danger. They were looking at being purchased, though. T.B. wasn't at Ascaron anymore, right?

From what I had heard, Sacred 2 wasn't really in danger. They were looking at being purchased, though. T.B. wasn't at Ascaron anymore, right?
I hope :)
In regard to T.B I remember that it worked on this game but if my memory is right is no longer part of this studio/company.

T.B. wasn't at Ascaron anymore, right?
Nope, he isn't. Still has a lot of friends there, though. :cry:
The situation is like this:
- Ascaron filed for insolvency and is negotiating a buyout.
- The console versions were submitted to and accepted by the manufacturers.
- Master discs were handed over to the publishers.

So basically, the money ran out on the last stretch.

Internal QA is already battling for the final two achievements. ;)

Will post impressions ASAP

sacred2.jpg

Although I was only able to spend about an hour playing the game yesterday, I feel like I have a few noteworthy remarks about the console release of Sacred 2. Take my feedback with a grain of salt but with that being said I'll do my best to describe what I experienced. At the very least this will provide a morsel of information out there about this highly (for some) anticipated game. Also to confess, I've not played the PC version more than about an hour so I'm not overly familiar with the game in it's many iterations--but I do love dungeon crawlers of any kind like Diablo I & II, Titan Quest, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, and Champions of Norrath.

The installation of the game took as long as any other 360 game--roughly 8 minutes. The installation improved load times significantly. I don't mean to imply that loading levels is non-existent but they do load with in seconds.

I decided to play as a Shadow Warrior and check out how melee is handled in this game. You have the option to choose to play the Light or Dark campaigns and select an applicable deity to worship. The Shadow Warrior begins his saga in a tomb and my initial impressions was "cool, a dungeon! There's bound to be lots of loot around here!" I ran around a bit and everything looked well enough. It certainly wasn’t mind blowing but it definitely looked better than the games I mentioned above. :)

Unfortunately, once outside the tomb the frame rate took a little bit of a hit. Not severe enough to make the game unplayable, but I think people who are really sensitive to a slight drop in frames and tearing will be put off by this. Personally, I thought it was a little annoying--but not annoying enough to ruin the gameplay. If I had to guess I would say it dropped < 30 fps.

The fighting was a little strange for me. I felt a little disconnected when fighting (melee) because you don’t mash a button. It's not similar to the Baldur's Gates or the Champions of Norraths where you hit a button to attack. Instead you hold down the button and direct your attacks towards the enemies. It works--and I imagine it takes some getting use to--but for me I would rather mash on a button and feel more involved with attacking. It felt a little too passive but I am only an hour into the game. I imagine this is a mechanic that will feel more natural (and perhaps for connected?) in time.

Loading up on loot in these games is always something I look forward to--don't we all? In Sacred 2 (console), looting is done automatically when pressing the LB. Again, you feel a little detached when loot is magically transported into your inventory and where's the satisfaction when you don't get the feel of snatching it up? At least you see it on the ground and know you have to pick it up so the process isn't as drastically passive as Too Human where goodies didn’t even fall on the ground but jumped into your inventory. I am sure this sounds totally trivial to a lot of you but for me, I enjoy picking it up and hearing the "clinks", the "clanks" and the "cha-chings" of the gold pieces. For those of you like me, a little thing like that is hugely missed.

I did notice that weapons, abilities/skills and magic can be bound to any of the 4 face buttons. The LT and RT act as a "shift" key so you can bind up to 8 more items for quick use. It looks really effective and I think it's a smart way to handle diversity in combat methods.

In the inventory, I noticed that comparing items is as easy as pressing a button so it does look like Ascaron made an effort to create as console-friendly game. Again, these are very early impressions of a ginormous game. There are still many many things left for me to see and find and get used to. Knowing some of you are as eager as I am for first-hand impressions of this game on the console -- feel free to ask if you have any questions!

More here for those that are interested.

Unfortunately, once outside the tomb the frame rate took a little bit of a hit. Not severe enough to make the game unplayable, but I think people who are really sensitive to a slight drop in frames and tearing will be put off by this. Personally, I thought it was a little annoying--but not annoying enough to ruin the gameplay. If I had to guess I would say it dropped < 30 fps.
What's the output resolution? IIRC T.B. said 1080p on both platforms, but the recent pics at the Sacred2.com website had all XB360 shots at 720p, and PS3 shots as a mix.

The fighting was a little strange for me. I felt a little disconnected when fighting (melee) because you don’t mash a button.
It's clearly not a true console game. There's a very present dice-roll mechanic involved, with to-hit rolls and misses. Sadly the animation doesn't represent this. It'd probably work much better if the animations showed enemies or your character dodging or deflecting, but that'd be a hell of a lot of animation work!

I am sure this sounds totally trivial to a lot of you...
They are philistines. Ignore them! How does loot get divied up multplayer if you just tap a button to beam it into your rucksack? I guess like Guild Wars, loot is assigned to particular players. I guess you'd need to plug in a 2nd controller to test this.

Knowing some of you are as eager as I am for first-hand impressions of this game on the console -- feel free to ask if you have any questions!
I'm curious as to what options there are. The (practically useless) Screwattack preview mentioned that targetting is always the nearest enemy when you press the attack button, which is kinda screwy for ranged attacks. Is this true, or a misunderstanding by the Screwattack people? Can any of this be adjusted in the settings, or those limited to difficulty, Gamma, and volume?

I should mention that I've had several PM me in regards to the IGN article and data corruption.

Saving is done from the menu (can be done anywhere outside, havent done it inside a dungeon yet).

I played a few more hours this weekend and I experienced no crashing or data corruption. The only technical glitch I experienced were the minor slowdown when outside.

Lastly, its worth mentioning that the dungeons respawn with monsters very quickly! I died in one dungeon and promptly ran back from the stone and by the time I zoned into it it had completely repopulated--what?!

I still am cautiously optomistic that this game can get better. As for now, it's barely holding on by its finger tips as something I'm interesting in playing (and I chalk that up to being a hardcore dungeon crawler lover).

What's the output resolution?

I'm sorry I did not even check--I'll report back tonight after work.

How does loot get divied up multplayer if you just tap a button to beam it into your rucksack?

I've not touched the MP yet (no one on-line to play with and wife has been very busy unfortunately).

I'm curious as to what options there are. The (practically useless) Screwattack preview mentioned that targetting is always the nearest enemy when you press the attack button, which is kinda screwy for ranged attacks. Is this true, or a misunderstanding by the Screwattack people? Can any of this be adjusted in the settings, or those limited to difficulty, Gamma, and volume?

Weird--I havent noticed any kind of auto-targeting at all. You hold the button down of the weapon you wish to use (I'm playing a melee class so havent tried attack magic) and swing the left stick around to the direction you wish to attack.

In the options there is difficulty (cannot be adjusted in game btw) and some of the options you mentioned. There are not a lot of options there to adjust though.

I was SO torn between getting this game for the 360 vs the PC.

How clear are the enemies? Can you play the game on a reasonably-sized TV and still read the text for weapons/armor/spells, etc?

Thanks for the review!!!

How does loot get divied up multplayer if you just tap a button to beam it into your rucksack? I guess like Guild Wars, loot is assigned to particular players. I guess you'd need to plug in a 2nd controller to test this.

If it's anything like the PC version, I believe loot is assigned to certain players, there is then a 30 (?) second timer that it remains exclusive. After that it is fair game for anyone to pick up.

Regards,
SB

I'm going for the PC version Asacron is notorious for bugs as was Sacred despite being an awesome game.

If you can get it on PC it's the far better game, assuming you can live with Securom. Being able to modify a few lines in the options file in order to pull back the max zoom out distance is just huge for me. I can't imagine trying to play Sacred 2 with the default zoom out, it's just too close and you can't see enough. Especially after having played Sacred 1 and how much you could see in that one.

Regards,
SB

Sacred 2 has this way of luring you back for more--even with its faults!

It pleases me to say that after becoming a little bored with the Shadow Warrior--with it's monotonous melee--I decided to create a different character, a Dryad, and give Sacred 2 another shot. It's not that I dislike Sacred 2, it's that it's got so much potentoil and it's first impression was spoiled! Hey, I love these dungeon crawlers ok?

So I headed in another direction and went with a ranged class to see how differently it would play. The Dryad class can use melee weapons like the Shadow Warrior, but really, it's built for ranged attacks. I have to say, after playing for several hours, I really enjoyed my time playing the Dryad. Sure, chalk it up to personal preference perhaps but it really feels like this game was built for bows-and-magic on the consoles (not the PC.) Come’on, this is coming from a guy who hated the “push-the-stick” melee in Too Human but loved the Marksmen class.

With the class change I dutifully played a few more hours of the game (roughly 4). Unfortunately with in that time I noticed a few more obtrusive issues with the game. Thankfully none of these are deal breakers, atleast not for me. But before I get to those I want to reiterate—I am now enjoying this game, it’s just that it’s not as refined as I would like it to be.

With that being said....

I cannot find a way to blacksmith in the field despite obtaining the skill to do so. I've checked around on several forums, asked a few people and it appears that this is a common issue amongst players. It’s a nice skill to have as Blacksmiths just aren’t prevalent in the game.

When browsing the inventory there are two options available to you—“Details” and “Compare”. "Details" allows you to—are you ready for this—see more details about a particular item! "Compare" allows you to....see more details about an item! Yes the problem is--both buttons do the exact same thing. This is another very useful feature that would make life easier when upgrading and selling items. Anyone know what's going on with this?

In my previous post I complained about the act of Looting. I'm happy to report that the "catch all" collection system now feels really good and makes my little pavlovian brain salivate with it's "Cha-ching" sound effects.
Just to note--and not to complaint--gone is the color system the PC version of the game uses to identify power level and importance of items and weapons (a la Word of Warcraft) and replacing it is a star system. It works well and I see no real difference between using the two. I'm wondering if perhaps the change took place to better suite colorblind gamers?

Overall—this game is beginning to win me over and I'm excited about that.

Anyone up for some coop? :)

Hmmm, if it's anything like the PC version, the option to blacksmith in the field was on the Inventory page. It was on the right hand side of the page had an anvil icon.

My only gripe with the game is that the CA's are horribly unbalanced. Within any given aspect, there's generally only 1...maybe 2 CA's worth using and the rest are just poop. Add to that how horribly bugged ranged is (at least in the PC version). Certain ranged items (gun) having massive trouble with flying/mounted mobs for example. Making some character builds completely worthless (ranged gun using Temple Guardian for example) despite there being an aspect dedicated entirely to that concept.

That said, if you can ignore some of those major bugs/design flaws, the game is fairly engaging for anyone that likes Diablo 2 gamestyle. The world is actually quite well designed and pretty detailed as well.

I'd still recommend picking up the PC version as opposed to the console version if that's an option however. Unless you hate Securerom in which case the console version just became the only version. :)

Regards,
SB

I'd still recommend picking up the PC version as opposed to the console version if that's an option however. Unless you hate Securerom in which case the console version just became the only version. :)

If you ever get the chance to play the console version, pick a High Elf, put a couple of damage spells on the face buttons and go an a rampage. After that tell me which version you prefer. ;)

Ah, and Shifty, I'm deeply hurt that you don't trust me! Did I ever lie to you? ;)

So yes, 1080p all the way. Even if you play in 480p, everything but the GUI is done in full glorious 1080p. It really helps with all the high-frequency alpha-tested content we have in a frame.

Silent_Buddha said:
My only gripe with the game is that the CA's are horribly unbalanced. Within any given aspect, there's generally only 1...maybe 2 CA's worth using and the rest are just poop.
Isn't that true of all these games? I've yet to play one where the balancing is pretty uniform. Invariably there are uber-builds and Squibs. Not that that's an excuse - they should have better balancing. But it's sadly par for the course.

Ah, and Shifty, I'm deeply hurt that you don't trust me! Did I ever lie to you? ;)
:p Not that I don't trust you, but I didn't know why the XB360 screens were 720p. So in Warcrow's case, was he seeing 1080p @ 1080p, or 1080p @ 720p?

It's nice to know how the engine works though. Means 1080p output is the optimum as 720p will introduce a downscale step overhead. Insider info FTW! :D

:p Not that I don't trust you, but I didn't know why the XB360 screens were 720p.

No clue. I'm a bit disappointed about the general indifference towards the 1080p-ness of the title, to be honest. I'm not sure if any reviewers mentioned it at all, and some even write that the maximum resolution is 1080i or something like that. But well, people seem to enjoy the game a lot, so all is well. :)

It's nice to know how the engine works though. Means 1080p output is the optimum as 720p will introduce a downscale step overhead. Insider info FTW! :D

Well, that is assuming you do the downscale separately and not in combination with that last post-process step. ;)
There are actually some pretty neat things in that renderer. Doing a deferred-pass in 1080p with 13 lightsources and 9 shadowmaps at the speed that we're doing it...

If you ever get the chance to play the console version, pick a High Elf, put a couple of damage spells on the face buttons and go an a rampage. After that tell me which version you prefer. ;)

I may have to see if I can rent it somewhere and try it out. I have the PC version AND a High Elf pyro, so I'll be able to see if you are just talking smack. ;)

Sounds like you guys did a good job with the engine however, so looking forward to seeing how it compares on the X360.

Quick question though. Are you able to zoom out farther than the PC version? On the PC I have to edit customOptions.txt in order to have it zoom out far enough for a ranged character to be truly useful (1500 zoomout versus the default of 800?).

If not, then I'd still recommend the PC version over the console if it's an option.

Regards,
SB

Back