Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Somebody will have to explain these awards to me. The Crew won the 'best game' award because they like its CGI Trailer. Should that be best game trailer or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

The Crew trailer captures the proposed gameplay in a unique movie

That crystal ball magic... :LOL:

Somebody will have to explain these awards to me. The Crew won the 'best game' award because they like its CGI Trailer. Should that be best game trailer or am I missing something?

I didn't understand that either.

It's Siggraph (short for Special Interest Group on GRAPHics and Interactive Techniques). It's not about games as much as innovative graphics and storytelling techniques using those graphics. As such it doesn't much matter if The Crew has been released yet or not. The award is for the graphics used in the presentation of the game (CGI or otherwise) as well as the presentation itself.

I wonder what kind of metrics they use to give such award, poly count, particles, scale, resolution, shaders etc? Anything meaningful or just based on gut reaction like every other game websites.

None of those and all of those as it isn't a game website. They look not only at the technology that is used, but also in how that technology is used to present the subject matter.

You can read up a bit on it at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGGRAPH ). If you check out many current and past award winners you can find some amazing things with regards to not just graphics but storytelling, art direction, camera direction, etc. many with a basis in computer graphics, but I don't believe computer graphics is a requirement for all interactive categories that they give awards in or conferences that are shown.

It's sorta kinda (but not really) like the Cannes Film Festival except better as it focuses more on computer graphics. :D Awards are awarded by professionals within each sector of the industry. And not by journalists of any kind as far as I know.

Regards,
SB

Ryse was a good choice. Completed the game twice and I was blown away by the visuals. Hopefully somewhere in the long distant future they can come around and make a Ryse 2 because I might be the only person who at least somewhat enjoyed Ryse.

I might get the game again just so I can complete it on Legendary. Congrats Crytek! :)

None of those and all of those as it isn't a game website. They look not only at the technology that is used, but also in how that technology is used to present the subject matter.

You can read up a bit on it at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGGRAPH ). If you check out many current and past award winners you can find some amazing things with regards to not just graphics but storytelling, art direction, camera direction, etc. many with a basis in computer graphics, but I don't believe computer graphics is a requirement for all interactive categories that they give awards in or conferences that are shown.

It's sorta kinda (but not really) like the Cannes Film Festival except better as it focuses more on computer graphics. :D Awards are awarded by professionals within each sector of the industry. And not by journalists of any kind as far as I know.

Regards,
SB
I wish I could read up on their assertions on Ryse and why they've given it the award and what other candidates were mentioned too. I suppose they were mainly focused on the innovation and implementation of the realtime rendering techniques rather than more common measurements of resolution, fps and etc. Which could explain how the relatively deficient 900p resolution and claustrophobic linear level design were as if omitted in the process. I'm guessing subtle use of SSS and facial animation caught their main attention?

Yes, I would think they're more interested in the implemented graphics rendering technology than mundane perfunctory settings that a high end PC would win in a nanosecond.

It's Siggraph (short for Special Interest Group on GRAPHics and Interactive Techniques). It's not about games as much as innovative graphics and storytelling techniques using those graphics.

Cheers. Still a bit wacky attaching the award to the game, what if the game's actual storytelling is rubbish? :runaway:

Cheers. Still a bit wacky attaching the award to the game, what if the game's actual storytelling is rubbish? :runaway:

That is immaterial as the award was just for how graphics technology was used in the CGI for the game as well as the art direction, storytelling, composition and actual direction (sort like a Director for a film movie directing type of direction) of the simulated game play.

In other words, the game and its game play is irrelevant to the actual CGI itself and how it is presented, directed, and the graphics techniques used in it.

Don't get too caught up in the category featuring the word "game". Just like a sports movie doesn't have to feature much actual sports to win a movie award, the award category for "Best Game" is just that a category. It is an award given to the best use of graphics technology and presentation for the CGI used for a game.

For example,

Best Animated Short
Best Student Project
Best Game

It just represents the category to which the computer graphics technology demonstration originates from. In all of those Computer Graphics (generally but not always CGI) is just assumed as that is the main focus of SIGGRAPH.

Regards,
SB

Back