Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

I wish I could read up on their assertions on Ryse and why they've given it the award and what other candidates were mentioned too. I suppose they were mainly focused on the innovation and implementation of the realtime rendering techniques rather than more common measurements of resolution, fps and etc. Which could explain how the relatively deficient 900p resolution and claustrophobic linear level design were as if omitted in the process. I'm guessing subtle use of SSS and facial animation caught their main attention?

Such passive aggressiveness :LOL:

Its certainly the best graphics at launch for the next gen consoles. I think that Ryse kind of cheats too much by having CGI mixed in with real time. Something like Reach and previous halo games Bungie have done, i'm a lot more impressed by because literally everything is real time, even if it tanks the framerate. You can really see that this is something possible done by console. Like GOW3 and Bayonetta as well.

I will get this when it reaches sub 5€ on Steam sale.

That's actually perfectly ok to Crytek. People often mock how much less pc gamers spend on games, but a publisher can pull in more cash that way rather than waiting on a single $60 disc sale which then gets passed around used to another dozen people with none of that money going to Crytek. So $5? Sure that's great, especially when millions of others do the same. It's a smart move by Crytek.

I wonder if it will have any other graphical improvements besides support for higher resolutions?

I'm curious as well. I didn't actually care much for the game when I had seen it e3, but I'm more curious visually what it brings to the table rather than gameplay. I'll also be grabbing it once it hits $5, by then I'll have a couple of Nvidia 880's humming in my gaming pc.

*AHEM* Please pardon the dust as we clean out this thread from the offtopic or trolling posts, which includes all the followups to those. This is a thread about Ryse for consoles.

If you want to talk about the upcoming PC release, please do so in a PC thread. If you want to talk about business approaches of Microsoft, go do it in that thread. If you want to talk about financial situation of Crytek, do so in that thread. Do not do any of that here.

If you simply want to troll against anything that doesn't pump up your own product and you proceed to do so, you will be banned.

Eurogamer have an extraordinarily candid interview with Cevat Yerli of Crytek.

I'd suggest discussion here be limited to talk about RYSE. Everything else can go over in Crytek may go bankrupt thread (where I've posted this as well).

It's interesting that they weren't pushed to release early. Sounds to me like they made the wrong choice there. If Microsoft really did ask them if they wanted to delay, they should have taken it. Another month or two might have gone a long way to releasing a better product. I could be wrong. Maybe the foundation of the game, in terms of gameplay, could not really be altered at that point. A little bit of tweaking seems like it could have made gamers happier.

Sounds to me like a next release would be multiplatform, if they ever do it, even though it sounds like their relationship with Microsoft is still good.

Ive just read a review (since its just become relevant to me)
and one sentence jumped out
"During the six hour campaign"

Is that true ?

Ive just read a review (since its just become relevant to me)
and one sentence jumped out
"During the six hour campaign"

Is that true ?

I've heard the hard difficulty is much better and extends the game a bit. I don't know how long a hard play through takes.

Another month or two might have gone a long way to releasing a better product. I could be wrong.
From what little I gather, the weakest side of Ryse is the gameplay. Everyone loves the visuals and production values (and people who like the game find the gameplay OK too). You can't really change that core aspect of the game in a few months. I think a major problem was a lack of game vision from the outset. It was a Kinect game, and then it wasn't. They clearly didn't have a vision from Day One that'd propel development along a clear, strong path. I think that's key to the best titles. They need to be founded on a clear image and whatever changes in course have to still remain true to that image. Games that deviate a lot tend to end up very weak-sauce, which is why games a long time in development tend to come up poor. You can't be years in development without some major rewrites and changes to the core idea.

The main issues I found with Ryse are extreme repetitiveness in combat, no skill involvement, lack variety and the confined level design. The game being really short doesn't help either.
But yeah interesting to see how the sequel would look like on other platforms that can actually run it more than 900p.

The main issues I found with Ryse are extreme repetitiveness in combat, no skill involvement, lack variety and the confined level design. The game being really short doesn't help either.
But yeah interesting to see how the sequel would look like on other platforms that can actually run it more than 900p.

You mean on Pc ? :oops: I hope.

I agree with you on combat being repetitive but as far as not requiring skill that is only true if you played it on the easiest mode. Blocking in alot of situations needs great timing.
As far as levels being confined the game isnt a corridor shooter but it is far from GTA.
The game is a hack n slash for heavens sake not a MMORPG. I also find it funny that so many complained about limited variety of enemies. There should have been more but you dont here anyone complaining about killing the same generic Nazi or terrorist in countless shooters. I do wish they would have included some sort of combo system with a skill tree of sorts. Maybe next time.

CryTek probably needs the cash. It's a cool game. Give it a try. It turned out better than I expected.

I don't get Crytek, if they need money and quick wouldn't they be better off releasing a Crysis trilogy on Xbox One and PS4?

CryTek probably needs the cash. It's a cool game. Give it a try. It turned out better than I expected.

I probably will, sometime after I clear up some of my backlog and it goes on some sale.
I'm not a fan of terrible boob physics and QTEs, but as a graphics whore I should at least try it.

I don't get Crytek, if they need money and quick wouldn't they be better off releasing a Crysis trilogy on Xbox One and PS4?

They would probably make a lot more money by bringing the whole Crysis trilogy to PS4 and Xbone than the money they'll make with Ryse on PC.
Then again, the trilogy should take a lot more time to port, though.

Back