Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

My "post-mortem" thought after playing this game maxed out on PC some ~3 years ago is that it was a very nice showcase for the engine and hardware capabilities and little more than that.

It could have been interesting to make a full franchise out of this. Sequels could evolve the gameplay and we could grow into the established mythos, but it seems that Crytek at the time was more focused in not letting Microsoft have the franchise than they were in creating a long-running series.

The story can't really go anywhere else at the end of the game. I really liked the narrative aspect of having the deities using small and discreet appearances to influence the grand scheme of things and that could have been a main topic throughout the series.

With the current Crytek being but a shell of its former self both in size (in 2013 they had 9 studios, now they have 3) and talent (e.g. Tiago Sousa), I wonder if they even have the means to make a game like Ryse or Crysis anymore.

The wikipedia page tells me they still have over 500 employees in their Frankfurt, Kiev and Istanbul studios. Some of them are probably iterating on CryEngine, others are working on Hunt: Showdown which doesn't seem to be getting great feedback on Steam Early Access.. I wonder what the rest of them are doing.

That's exactly what happened.

Mike Ybarra talking about Ryse again...hmmmmmmm

Maybe they are negotiating a sequel, and are trying to create some buzz to prove the existence of interest.

Maybe they are negotiating a sequel, and are trying to create some buzz to prove the existence of interest.
as long as they are doing that.... I don't expect a sequel anytime soon, but if it ever comes out, I will be content. This game has been unfairly treated. I mean, it wasn't only a technical showcase. It had very impressive gameplay moments like climbing the aqueduct, the boss fights, specially Boudica, and the landscape below in the distance. Very evocative. Plus the minotaur boss, Glott.

Dunno why but people wanted to be particularly harsh with Crytek then, some of the reviews were cringe-worthy, especially Eurogamer's review, which reeks of fanaticism.

For now, I am going to replay it on PC as long as I have my 80GB monthly quota of data, I am going to download it, 'cos it is waiting for me on Steam --I got it along with Crysis 3 and other gamei na Humble Bundle sale yesterday-.

Hope that the PC version has improved fire effects. Some bonfires and stuff like that looked pretty fake on the Xbox One, 'cos fire animation ran at like 15 fps.

I wonder if any of the team that shipped the game is even there anymore. They'd almost be looking at building a studio just for a hypothetical sequel, not unlike Coalition & Gears *cough*. Of course, Crytek would have to sell the IP to MS first... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the team that shipped the game is even there anymore. They'd almost be looking at building a studio just for a hypothetical sequel, not unlike Coalition & Gears *cough*. Of course, Crytek would have to sell the IP to MS first... :rolleyes:

And it's probably a fairly limited IP unless you are aiming to recreate a series of Ryse games for everywhere the Romans fought (which was pretty much everywhere) but this is largely a massive environmental re-skin job. That said, it kind of worked for God of War but that IP had licence to go utterly fantastical, Ryse is somewhat mired to history.

Personally I think a new less-constrained IP would be preferable. Like Gears, but not Gears. IP can become tired, or just overly well-trodden, really quickly. I can't believe Guerrilla made four Killzone games when those guys were capable of Horizon Zero Dawn. Similarly I'm surprised Heavenly Sword never got a sequel. There is NO JUSTICE!!! :runaway:

And it's probably a fairly limited IP unless you are aiming to recreate a series of Ryse games for everywhere the Romans fought (which was pretty much everywhere) but this is largely a massive environmental re-skin job. That said, it kind of worked for God of War but that IP had licence to go utterly fantastical, Ryse is somewhat mired to history.
well, the setting is soooooo good. And the game so open to original sequels... They could even make an entirely new game where you are a scythed chariot and fight your way through in your chariot, just like Ben Hur.

No flame wars please, and high level PC isn't a fair fight, but it holds up well for what, 4.5 years old? Can also say a lot about diminishing returns in graphics.

I did not know that Ryse even launched on PC! :nope:

I did not know that Ryse even launched on PC! :nope:

Unfortunately, it wasn't a good port. There's no ability to rebind keys, making it unplayable for me unless I use a controller (bleh). WASD doesn't work well for me due to a pinky finger that was broken in high school and not set correctly.

That said, the PC version is still quite good looking even today.

Regards,
SB

Back