Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

If people want to nitpick its easy to do it with every game no natter how good it looks. Until consoles become powerful enough to render Beowulf in real time its pointless and silly to nitpick why some stuff arent looking 100% like the "real thing". I still cant believe this game is nitpicked for the visuals they showed in the latest trailer. Even at 900p what this game does isnt just a testament of the console's capabilities. It also shows painstaking attention to detail and work from the artists and the developers to get so many subtle details right that many other games have failed to do so in the past. Show some respect.

edit: Oh and btw. This is a launch title and looks way beyond anything we have seen

I think it looks great, but i am not really seeing anything unexpected or really impressive on any of the current launch titles and i would hard pressed to pick "a winner" except the gamers.

I think we need a proper direct feed ingame video from Ryse (maybe i missed it). As we do on almost every game for the next generation.

But i think there is clear picture forming where XBOX1 fans is taking cheap shots on PS4 games and Visa Versa. And most of them will never get to play the "other parts" games anyway and actually form an opinion based on a real experience :)

So you would have no probs with me using approx the same maths in a sig like
I'd rather have 1280x720 at 48fps than 1920x1080 at 30fps (sig approved by RudeCurve)

No because it's your eyes not mine.

or since maths doesnt really matter, its just the idea that counts perhaps
I'd rather have 320x240 at 48fps than 1920x1080 at 30fps ... (sig approved by RudeCurve)

Everyone whos been playing games for a good while will know what 320x240 looks like so that idea sounds ridiculous....unless you're rendering CGI level graphics at that low resolution and "8-bit" graphics at the higher resolution.;)

Now if you were only rendering basic PONG graphics with square blocks the lower resolution upscaled may look equal or better to some people.

Last edited by a moderator:
If people want to nitpick its easy to do it with every game no natter how good it looks. Until consoles become powerful enough to render Beowulf in real time its pointless and silly to nitpick why some stuff arent looking 100% like the "real thing".

Even Beowulf looks very, very uncanny valley. So prerendered movies taking 1000s of hours to render aren't safe from nitpicking either ;)

The problem is, with as small a forum as B3D is, whenever new media being released for a game is met with the same boorish comments from some people it derails useful conversation.

IMO, Ryse looks a little bit "better" than Beowolf. I don't know how explain it, but for me, it looks more "natural" than Beowulf.

IMO, Ryse looks a little bit "better" than Beowolf. I don't know how explain it, but for me, it looks more "natural" than Beowulf.

Beowulf had a very specific style though. It wasn't CG in the normal sense. They filmed real people and then kind of coloured them in.

Beowulf had a very specific style though. It wasn't CG in the normal sense. They filmed real people and then kind of coloured them in.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, it was good old fashioned CGI work by Sony's ImageMovers. Maya, Renderman, the usual stuff.

Didn't they say it's 900p, officially?
Yes ,but there have been games in the past described as different than they are. Not that I believe this is, but I can understand a desire for independent verification.

I can't honestly see a place to start counting, myself. There's so much blur and bloom (and compression, doubly so if jpegs of mpeg'd screen captures) going on, there aren't any clear edges with obvious steps to count to my eyes. Last gen, we'd have looked at the gold trimming of the armour and seen clear steps and counted away.

I can't do it right, in one area I got 896p but 1080p on the same shot. With the AA I just can't find a good spot to try. My only true expert opinion is, that it has a resolution! (and maybe a few pixels) :???:

Can it be because a good rescaler?

EDIT: I will try to grab a png picture instead jpg later at home.

Can it be because a good rescaler?
There's an overall degree of blur. Whether due to upscale or post effect, I don't know, but my first guess is a deliberate post effect. That removes the harsh clarity of computer graphics and makes graphics more photographic.

That was a 2D animated movie, based on the Philip K. Dick novel A Scanner Darkly. And I think a predecessor too, Waking Life?

2285029-scanner-darkly-5.jpg

Beowulf looked like this:
beowulf-first-02.jpg

The artistry was nice most of the time, but the facial animation was creepy and sometimes scary. Oh and the horse animations were really bad in some scenes, too.

There's an overall degree of blur. Whether due to upscale or post effect, I don't know, but my first guess is a deliberate post effect. That removes the harsh clarity of computer graphics and makes graphics more photographic.

Maybe with another scene, with less blur.

Back