Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

The skirt in the armor might be done in realtime; notice I've said that alembic streaming is probably in use whenever it's a cutscene. Even current consoles have enough CPU power for some level of realtime cloth stuff.

XpiderMX said:
Some clipping here and there, a little bit of popping, animation looks good...

Animations look strange, at least the tempo and hit detection. The gameplay looks rough, game looks best in stills. What is with the game pauses and glowing?

Animations look strange, at least the tempo and hit detection. The gameplay looks rough, game looks best in stills.

IMHO, Animation are ok, but the weapons looks like made of paper or wood, too light.

What is with the game pauses and glowing?

A finish move?

A GIF:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/277/d/d/ryse_new_3_by_raziel1992-d6p8xce.gif

Giant gif that appears to be from the same area as shown in the video that XpiderMX posted. Seems to be from a direct capture and not off screen.

Warning... 30 megs, don't know where the source vid is though.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/258/1/b/untitled_271_by_dennisk4-d6mdrgu.gif

How old is it?

I wonder if any PS4 titles will become a target for trolls as big as Ryse has apparently did...

The funniest part is that there's plenty to critique about its graphics, but everyone seems to be stuck on the resolution and other non-important aspects instead. Not to mention the gameplay. It's as if only technical parameters are what matter to customers.

I wonder if any PS4 titles will become a target for trolls as big as Ryse has apparently did...

The funniest part is that there's plenty to critique about its graphics, but everyone seems to be stuck on the resolution and other non-important aspects instead. Not to mention the gameplay. It's as if only technical parameters are what matter to customers.

Those folks aren't even customers. They are just critics...

I think the very first things discussed here were art direction and gameplay. And it did go well, B3D style, but after a while everyone stopped criticising the gameplay because it seems the gameplay isn't changing, its either you like it or not. And as for graphics, because it is never taken as a criticism, but as a personal attack. There isn't any fun in fighting over a game, is it? But , yes, would love to have a separate thread where we can just link techniques used in this game and what exactly has changed in comparison to Crysis 3 or are we still not donig everything Crysis 3 did on pc. For example, would love to know if the highly effective POM they showcased in crysis 3(Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping, the one shown on tree barks) is in effect here or not? We can already see the water caustics aren't implemented here,the ones from Crysis 3, atleast in the co op videos released.Is the game using area light and shadows showcased in Cryengine 3? Is the skin shader a newer version over Crysis 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
We can already see the water caustics aren't implemented here,the ones from Crysis 3, atleast in the co op videos released.Is the game using area light and shadows showcased in Cryengine 3? Is the skin shader a newer version over Crysis 3?

Caustics are in combat vid. I doubt that they will use area lights, because in Rome there were only torches and You dont need area lighting for that. Shadowing is same as in C3. Skin shader is new.

Caustics are in combat vid. I doubt that they will use area lights, because in Rome there were only torches and You dont need area lighting for that. Shadowing is same as in C3. Skin shader is new.

A window is a perfect place to use an area light.
I can seew aves in the combat video but not the caustics. The water is in the beginning of the video right, after that it shifts to grass.
What about the Displacement mApping? Is there any tech presentation where they have maybe explained it all? Like that KZSF lighiting presentation. All. I could find was a Maya presentation their artists gave.

Well, I'm gonna be Mr. Unpopular and say I don't much care for the game as shown. Basically because it's realism, realism, realism, realistic graphics, set in the real work realism, and yet the gameplay is 'slash them through the neck with a sword. See blood gush out. See them stumble. Oop, they're back up fighting you as if nothing has happened, except their invisible hitpoints have dropped." Looks like a 2006, Heavenly Sword level of game, whereas IMO it should be more like Dark Souls in terms of combat, far more risky and realistic to match the rest of the game, although that of course would be a gamble. It's safer to tart a standard action game in fancy graphics than risk something new that might alienate a lot of your customers.

Or is there a 'hardcore' mode that I'm unaware of, that'll play properly? Any serious blow should have significant consequences for a combatant beyond a simple grunt of pain!

A window is a perfect place to use an area light.
I can seew aves in the combat video but not the caustics. The water is in the beginning of the video right, after that it shifts to grass.
What about the Displacement mApping? Is there any tech presentation where they have maybe explained it all? Like that KZSF lighiting presentation. All. I could find was a Maya presentation their artists gave.

Sun is already an area light or at least it cast penumbra shadows.

In combat vid at 3:35, You can see caustics on vegetation on the left and both characters.

Displacement mapping? You mean Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping? Its hard to tell from existing footage if its in.

Well, I'm gonna be Mr. Unpopular and say I don't much care for the game as shown. Basically because it's realism, realism, realism, realistic graphics, set in the real work realism, and yet the gameplay is 'slash them through the neck with a sword. See blood gush out. See them stumble. Oop, they're back up fighting you as if nothing has happened, except their invisible hitpoints have dropped." Looks like a 2006, Heavenly Sword level of game, whereas IMO it should be more like Dark Souls in terms of combat, far more risky and realistic to match the rest of the game, although that of course would be a gamble. It's safer to tart a standard action game in fancy graphics than risk something new that might alienate a lot of your customers.

Or is there a 'hardcore' mode that I'm unaware of, that'll play properly? Any serious blow should have significant consequences for a combatant beyond a simple grunt of pain!

It's designed to have mass market appeal. Though Demons Souls has been critically acclaimed, not that many people really enjoy it. Let alone finish it.
If they ever want a succelful sequel to Ryse then they need that mass market appeal

This game is starting to shape up really well.:D
Animations look somewhat improved too. Or is it me?
Visually this is probably the most impressive game seen so far from next gen

I've heard the combat is a lot more complicated then it seems, you need to learn to parry and so on to survive fights.

Dark Souls is a great game but it also didn't matter how much you hurt a enemy they would fight like nothing happened to them. Sure Dark souls had bosses with stages but I'm not sure we've seen the bosses in RYSE yet.

It's designed to have mass market appeal. Though Demons Souls has been critically acclaimed, not that many people really enjoy it. Let alone finish it.
If they ever want a succelful sequel to Ryse then they need that mass market appeal
There are plenty of reasons why DS wasn't hugley popular, and I for one wasn't a fan, but I would like to see the ideas of that game brought forwards to a realistic combat game. In real combat, getting any damage is bad and cannot be shrugged off without consequences. Health bars and the like are so...computer-gamey. ;) That's not to say Ryse shouldn't got that route. It may be a well received game (although I don't think action combat games are traditionally good sellers, so a bit of a gamble there). It's not just not floating my boat from a gameplay perspective.

I've heard the combat is a lot more complicated then it seems, you need to learn to parry and so on to survive fights.
That's part of the requirement for a more sophisticated combat game rather than a hack and slash. But the enemy responses are really primitive. No better than anything we've had for decade or more. So it's not looking very next-gen to me in terms of gameplay. Again, that might be the right call to make a product that'll sell well and meet critical approval from the masses, but I'll hold out for something new to further the art. With behavioural physics, it should be possible to create combat with zero canned animations that realistically models balance and focusses on that quintessential aspect of melee combat. Then again, maybe such combat would be too realistic and so 'laggy' and 'awkward' and be snubbed by gamers?

Back