Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Funny how you don't think that works both ways.

and jeez what has B3D become?

How could you see it both ways?

Game A looks current gen and has pixelated shadows.

Game B looks next gen and doesn't have pixelated shadows.

Both games have yet to be released...and? Are you suggesting Game A will have a complete makeover which will magically transform it into a next gen looking game? :???:

I get the feeling that this is going to be the xbones Heavenly Sword equivalent. Technical showcase, looks pretty good, but ends up being shallow and repetitive. And then is quickly forgotten when the next wave of games arrive.

I liked Heavenly Sword! Especially its combat system...but I might be the only one on the planet.

I'm likely getting this game, depending on reviews.

I'll hand that to MS: Between this, Forza, and Dead Rising 3, we have some seriously nice looking launch games.

I liked Heavenly Sword! Especially its combat system...but I might be the only one on the planet.

I loved it too! I still dip in every now and then. But the overall game play left a lot to be desired. And Ryse just seems to have that air about it.

Both games have yet to be released...and? Are you suggesting Game A will have a complete makeover which will magically transform it into a next gen looking game? :???:

Not only are you rude,but also delusional :LOL:

Game A looks decisively better at this stage according to most of Gaffers and possibly B3D, just something you might need to deal with for the foreseeable future one way or another :LOL:.

This thread is sad... trying to reinvent terminology and clearly people getting way too offended about peculiar things... very sad.

The determination to reinvent the meaning of QTE just for the sake of Ryse is also embarrassing to say the least... and so much motivation to prove a point at how "last gen" KZ SF looks, as if that has anything to do with this game at all.

Stop trying to fool people or just stop being intentionally thick... and stop splitting hairs over pointless things like "omg what is a QTE now we must change the definition because gaming has now been reinvented in the next gen." Get real...

It was old yesterday, and it's older today. Move on already... sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ppl cling to the stigma of QTE's as an empty attack on RYSE. The trolls want to use that attack because it drums up connotations of crap like Heavy Rain as if this game was as shallow in terms of interaction as those kinds of adventure games. The game mechanic to finish off enemies doesn't take ANYTHING away from the combat whatsoever.

Nearly all modern TPS games have this kind of mechanic, even ones universally heralded as AAA, legendary titles like RE 4 etc. The element of most QTE's in games that makes them dampen the gameplay depth is that they replace huge swathes of combat or they are needlessly frustrating attempts to keep your heart rate up and attention span tuned into what's happening on screen. With RYSE none of those things are true.

Call it what you want, but don't use that arbitrary label as the basis for dismissal alone and don't try to marry its gameplay to only the worst examples of QTE's out there while ignoring the fact it is a rather progressive approach to the mechanic and doesn't take anything away in terms of depth.

Please stop reinventing terminology to defend relatively bad game-play.
Game journalists are coining it QTEs, and so far nobody has a good argument that Ryse is not QTE loaded.

Otherwise shiving something in TLOU would be a QTE (limited duration chance to perform action),

Qualified AND disqualified, under different situations.
Yes it is QTE under default settings.
However, if you turn the UI prompt off from the options (or survival mode), it's not QTE.

grabbing a enemy in TLOU would be a QTE as it would meet the "player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen prompt. " assuming it was singular "action" and not plural "actions.

No it is not, you can choose to stalk the damn thing for 10 years with the on screen prompt and you still don't lose it. You can move away and return later to grab him if you like. Disqualified.

Opening a door would be a QTE as well going by the strict wording, again if it was singular "action" and not plural "actions".

For the SECOND time, do you lose the ability to open the door if you don't perform it? no
Disqualified.

Taking down an enemy in stealth in Splinter Cell would be a QTE.

Same as TLOS
Disqualified.

Countering an enemy in Batman: AA or Batman: AC would be a QTE.

Qualified.
Countering is indeed one common type QTE if there is an effort to outline "this enemy is attacking you" through some sort of UI prompt.
If it's purely in-game action like a fighting game with no UI support, then no, it is not.

The extremely simple act of hopping on the back of a mutant after the circle of stars appears over their head in the Batman games would be a QTE.

Qualified.

Hijacking a car in GTA would be a QTE. Etc.

Completely disqualified. For obvious reasons.

Except they aren't.

Except some of them actually ARE.
Some obviously aren't because they fail to meet the 4 requirements.

1. Context-sensitive
2. Player performs action on the control device
3. Action requires to be done shortly after, or you lose it
4. On screen prompt (in the form of some UI exclusive to the action)
There's nothing exclusively wrong with QTEs, I must say, but they must be limited in full on combat.
It breaks the game flow and should be done to allow the player to gasp for air when the situation is awfully hectic.
Especially due to the fact that QTEs often mean that the player gets invincible mode for a few seconds.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is a good example of QTE-like (since it really isn't due to the absence of a UI prompt to perform Obliteration Techniques) gameplay done right.
Ninja Gaiden 3, however, is a good example of QTE (since this time there actually IS a UI prompt) done awfully wrong.

Ryse annoys me due to the fact that in gameplay videos they seem to ask you to execute every single enemy through the execution mechanic, which gets awfully boring after a while (unless you're manning some ballista or using pili).

offtopic: What is that sound?? It's Strange, the school bus, taking people to school :D

ontopic: As long as they don't make every enemy execution a slowmotion, quicktime event, then I am okay with Ryse it's heavy reliance on QTE's. I mean, it makes the game extremely cinematic.

I propose they do it like this: if you fail the QTE, the player will still kill the enemy, but you don't get a power boost aftwards.
The powerboost (get this!) allows you to kill 10 enemies, without having to deal with QTE's!
So in that case a great paradox is created: you have to excel at a QTE to not face them constantly. That way you will get a rush when you succeed, and people will learn to love QTE's in the game/ or even future!

Ryse annoys me due to the fact that in gameplay videos they seem to ask you to execute every single enemy through the execution mechanic, which gets awfully boring after a while (unless you're manning some ballista or using pili).

Yeah, God of War was smart to limit that stuff to special enemies. You can even still earn bonus XP killing fodder enemy types in certain ways, but it doesn't force you into a stupid, halting cinematic every single time. That was what was so grating about the Ryse footage at E3.

I don't see what the problem with being QTE based is. It's played through kinnect, of course it's going to have single button events otherwise you'd have people dislocating their limbs trying to pull off special moves. Most people playing it aren't going to be trained gladiators after all.

But it doesn't matter anyway does it? Didn't they say that, at E3, the animation action complete anyway whether you do the QTE or not.

@BillyIdol: I think people's behaviour might seem hostile because people really want this game to be good and current gameplay demos have left quite a few people disappointed. If the game hadn't mattered, people wouldn't have showcased their disappointment at all and moved on.

Its because its Crytek, they usually bring out the best of the engine but usually something always lacks (except Crysis 1, which is still sublime to me). We know it could be the title one would salivate/drool over, so people want it to be good in gameplay too, so that they can buy it, play it , enjoy it. It appeals to some , not to others.

No one hates the game here, just want it to be enjoyable and hope Crytek hears the internet and makes changes. Though, I don't think theres time for that.

I don't see what the problem with being QTE based is. It's played through kinnect, of course it's going to have single button events otherwise you'd have people dislocating their limbs trying to pull off special moves. Most people playing it aren't going to be trained gladiators after all.

But it doesn't matter anyway does it? Didn't they say that, at E3, the animation action complete anyway whether you do the QTE or not.

This is the first time I've heard Ryse being played through kinect. Gameplay videos show the players only mashing buttons.

What's with people coming into this thread to bash a game, that other people are excited about, when they don't even know enough about the game to realize that it isn't a Kinect title?

Also, what does Ryse have to do with Heavenly Sword from 7 years ago?

There is no problem about being QTE based.

The only problem is people being offended that the game is associated with QTEs, and people feel that being associated with QTEs is offensive, because of whatever reason they want to have.

Apparently having QTEs is offensive to Ryse, but that's OK to say Heavy Rain sucks as a game? I mean... move on people. Taking this QTE thing way, way too seriously. People obviously offended by the publisher's name on the box more than anything else.

It has QTEs, get over it. You will like the game based on the whole package, not the fact that is has or has not QTEs. Sheesh. You guys are acting like it's a cold war/poorly worded war of words in here.

Back