Rumour confirmed: Microsoft Purchase Minecraft for $2.5B (Post#122)

2 billion is a bit too much, but its a good IP the only IP I would rank higher is GTA, Though if they buy it and dont make it 'practically' MS exclusive then is not a good buy

How much money Mojang currently made over its lifetime? Can they generate something that worth 2 billion (directly or indirectly) ?
They made 120 million last year (profits from about twice that revenues), which was about double the previous year. So a few hundreds of millions all told.

It´s for the same reason FB bought whatsapp for an insane amount of money, Ms would hope to get millions of user accounts to their ecosystem....

It´s not about gaming

its a good IP the only IP I would rank higher is GTA

Really? GTA, COD:MW, WoW, Lineage ... or something more within Minecraft's current demographic Skylanders. There are many IPs with proven track records of generating either repeatable profits on the scale of Minecraft across a game series or steady profits through subscription.

If Mojang successfully launches Minecraft 2 and manages to transition most of the community then it will be a good IP ... but I have my doubts. Trying to shoehorn the game into a mod/PC hostile sequel would make it even less likely.

$2 billion is a pretty crazy number. If that happens, it would be interesting to see how they sell it to their investors. There would have to be some logic driving that price. Although, Snap Chat just got some insane valuation ... so who knows.

2 billion is just nuts. Especially for an IP that was never about the next, big installment than it is about gradual evolution. To my limted knowledge it also hasn't generated anywhere near that amount of money so far, and that's even though it's been available for just about every platfrom imaginable for ages. Good on Persson for making an absolute killing off of one company handing out money head over fist in desperation I suppose. Cannot blame the guy really. For 2 billion I'd gladly swallow accusations of hypocrisy too.

"Super Minecraft" seems like a much better name for a sequel than "Minecraft 2"

Concerning the price; It could very well be a good long term investment.
It will need to stay multiplatform(mobile/console/pc), then they can branch off into other fields such as merchandise, creep in a little micro-transactions and drop the entry price to like $5.

Really? GTA, COD:MW, WoW, Lineage ... or something more within Minecraft's current demographic Skylanders. There are many IPs with proven track records of generating either repeatable profits on the scale of Minecraft across a game series or steady profits through subscription.

If Mojang successfully launches Minecraft 2 and manages to transition most of the community then it will be a good IP ... but I have my doubts. Trying to shoehorn the game into a mod/PC hostile sequel would make it even less likely.

Honestly, I don't think you could even swing a franchise purchase of GTA, COD or WOW for 2 billion dollars.

Mojang has gotten MC to 330 million in annual revenue without even trying hard. They have 4 people who work on the PC version and 2 for iOS. They sell 10k of MC a day on the PC without Steam. They literally get every last cent of the PC retail price of MC.

The potential with MC is that is more like a film from Marvel which can be sold to all age range and hit various non gaming market (plushies like someone else mentioned). While GTA, COD and WOW are more like very popular R-rated titles. They may be highly lucrative but you aren't going sell toys of Franklin, Michael and Trevor to a bunch of preteens.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000309447

In this case they're using their overseas cash which they have a huge pile of. They did the skype deal the same way.
Is that a tax thing?

They claim the 2B is nothing to them, and that deal would makes the division big enough to make a spinoff. So they spend overseas money to raise the ebitda of that division, and at the same time it raises profits by 120M/year, making the division sustainable on it's own? I don't understand how this adds up to making the 2B worth it, unless the overseas money can't be brought inland for tax reasons, and that would be a way to spend it?

If you judged Mojang like any other public company, you can easily see where the 2 billion justification comes from.

Apple makes $40 billion a year in profits. Its market cap is ~$600 billion. But once you account for the float, unrestricted shares and the premium that shareholders would demand, Apple if sold might be worth in neighborhood of ~800 billion to 1 trillion dollars. Hardly justified by annual profits alone.

The value of Mojang or MC doesn't go to zero once purchased. MS could easily buy it for 2 billion, push profit to $200-300 annually and in five years sell it for twice as much. MS would see a return of 225% not 25% loss.

Ultimately the worthiness of the deal is dependent on MS's ability to turn it into a profitable property. However, given MS recent track history with buying companies outside their primary expertise, there is a question if they can.

It's a huge draw for kids. My 7 years old nephew really loves minecraft. He's in his "spaceship" phase with legos and extending his creativity with minecraft. With some supervision he was playing Portal and Ratchet and Clank long before minecraft so the "gateway" happened in reverse order... I think the best gateway to videogames remains phone/tablet.

The idea of moving minecraft to a modern engine and use microsoft cloud could be a better explanation for this deal. If they move to something similar to the VoxelFarm middleware they can do everything server side as long as they stay at a reasonable complexity level. It would fit with the "cloud first" vision, and Nadella would be happy.
That's a very likely explanation. Still, I wonder if with that money it wouldn't be better to try buying a company like Blizzard, whose games are pure and sheer addiction of the most awesome kind. Not doable, I think, but well...

They are probably looking ahead, in the future, rather than pleasing the current generation of gamers with other decisions -perhaps Sega or Capcom could be purchased with that money, for instance-.

Yeah, but the initial and early growth was mostly perpetuated by the older more mature crowd.

A PC crowd who will react very hostile if there is no PC version ... even if there is, if the programmers don't get the DRM right it might get modded on the PC to turn the XBOX/WinRT/Lumia into the inferior platforms.

PS. I guess with microsoft run servers they don't have to worry too much about the DRM ... the older crowd won't really appreciate the loss of personal servers either, but they can get over that.

Yes, afaik it's widely known that US companies can avoid paying tax in the US as long as the money stays out of the US. They only have to pay once they bring it into the company. Which is pretty bad, considering the amount of money that evades the treasury like that could have helped the US with a lot of other useful things, like reduce the huge debt.

Apple makes $40 billion a year in profits. Its market cap is ~$600 billion. But once you account for the float, unrestricted shares and the premium that shareholders would demand, Apple if sold might be worth in neighborhood of ~800 billion to 1 trillion dollars. Hardly justified by annual profits alone.

The value of Mojang or MC doesn't go to zero once purchased. MS could easily buy it for 2 billion, push profit to $200-300 annually and in five years sell it for twice as much. MS would see a return of 225% not 25% loss.
That's a very good point, treating it as an investment that can be sold on. However, do developers trade hands? Not AFAIK. Rare and ND aren't bought and sold between platform holders. Also, Apple comes with a whole load of people and physical premises and capital which makes up part of their value. Not only is it worth the annual profits, but also its accumulated wealth in resources and talent. Mojang is a two-bit operation with an office and a dozen employees as I understand it. Materially it's only worth Minecraft, plus maybe whatever Scrolls is. So it seems to me the only value from Minecraft is its revenue generating brand and product. The Goodwill value will also be significant.

COD: we got some numbers recently european wide first half sales
2011 1674k
2012 1482k
2013 1413k
2014 1367k

I mentioned this before, COD is getting less and less relevant, sure its still a giant IP

WOW: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197085/World_of_Warcraft_continues_to_hemorrhage_players.php

lineage: couldnt really find any hard data, 14 million users, but I think thats total ever, no idea if its growing or fading

I believe the difference between the IP's you listed(*) and mincraft/GTA is they're in decline and minecraft/GTA/FiFA are on the UP. I know which way I'ld want an IP that I was purchasing to be going

(*)also madden,just dance,guitar hero etc

Is minecraft on the up? You'd think someone would rip the sales figures and graph it ... but I can't find anything.

That's a very good point, treating it as an investment that can be sold on. However, do developers trade hands? Not AFAIK. Rare and ND aren't bought and sold between platform holders. Also, Apple comes with a whole load of people and physical premises and capital which makes up part of their value. Not only is it worth the annual profits, but also its accumulated wealth in resources and talent. Mojang is a two-bit operation with an office and a dozen employees as I understand it. Materially it's only worth Minecraft, plus maybe whatever Scrolls is. So it seems to me the only value from Minecraft is its revenue generating brand and product. The Goodwill value will also be significant.

No, game franchises aren't traded and sold like baseball cards. But just because you buy an auto and plan on being its first and only owner until it makes its way to the junkyard, doesn't mean you should prescribe a zero value on its day of purchase. Your unlikeliness to sell doesn't mean future value trumphs current value.

There is a reason why game franchises aren't sold and swap on a continual and wide basis. Highly popular franchises can remain valuable for decades. This is not true in the mobile space where its more about the commoditization of gaming. That space seems more interested in creating addictive game mechanics and continually redressing them as new titles versus creating strong unique brands that have long lasting value. But in the console and PC space the opposite is more true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back