Rumor:the end of console wars?-IGN insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the story is basically an IGN insider editor in Japan posted that somebody had made a post on a big Japan gaming board (2ch), (that has 2200+ replies) that an annoucment will be made on 1/11 that will bring peace to the console board and end the next gen wars (or something like that). This poster doesn't have any sources. And he gave five key words which are:

-zokuhen (sequel)
-iten (transfer)
-chushi (cancellation)
-kotai (change,as in change of the guard)
-sonzoku (continue to exist)

Some speculation is: MS buying Capcom (this actually makes sense, reason being the event is supposedly held in Capcom's HQ city rather than Ms's HQ city as you would expect). Something to do with a Final Fantasy title. Etc etc.

Most likely nothing. Arne on GAF (ms rep) is downplaying this news. And when was the last time ms was able to keep a big secret?

And when was the last time ms was able to keep a big secret?

When they bought Rare and Lionhead.

It's probably just more multi-platform developments. Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4...one or more of those.

Arne from MS said it was just a Cero-Z event where people over 18 could play some games. He even said everyone should just calm down. Could be someone from 2ch having a good kick out of this.

Well, if MS is saying "calm down" and downplaying the rumour, it must be something that xbox360's lost and PS3 gained :D

MGS4 and FFXIII aren't as strong a force in games as the GTA franchise and that's already coming to the X360... even such a more than unlikely move wouldn't be enough to decide any 'war' yet.
Either game would be a help for sales and a huge PR coup, the latter being the more effective. There's a list of Japanese games that either don't show up on the 360 at all or treat it like a second class citizen. That list of games is a large amount of the attraction of Playstation. VF used to be on that list, as was RE. FF too (arguably, it still is on the list). MGS or FF (proper) would be quite conspicuous and would more or less signal an end to the list.

That's important. The actual sales of either game is throw-away. They're more interesting as barometers.

Well, if MS is saying "calm down" and downplaying the rumour, it must be something that xbox360's lost and PS3 gained :D

I doubt it. Theres a rumored Sony press thing in New York later this month, if they are going to announce anything, I'd figure it might be there.

The only end to the Console Wars is Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft deciding to produce one and only one Console, or 2 of the 3 giving up :)

Everything else is just internet noise

does everybody here read German or what?

* slaps james in the face. Dont you EVER say that again. Its Dutch, not german. Germans walk around in lederhosen and eat brattwurst. We dutch eat cheese, have lots of flowers and legalized softdrugs :)

Anyway since im dutch I can read whats on the site. Its NOT about SE. Basically they (we) dont know anything yet as the supposed pressconferance didnt happen yet. But rumors are going that mistwalker bought the right to Chrono (trigger/cross).

MGS4 and FFXIII aren't as strong a force in games as the GTA franchise and that's already coming to the X360...

MGS isn't as popular as GTA, but FF is more popular than GTA.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4508&Itemid=2
The Independent in London has published a list of the all-time best-selling game franchises, with U.S originated product making up only six of the top 20.

Here’s the list.

1. 'Mario': 193 million.
2. 'Pokémon': 155 million
3. 'Final Fantasy': 68 million
4. 'Madden NFL': 56 million
5. 'The Sims': 54 million
6. 'Grand Theft Auto': 50 million
7. 'Donkey Kong': 48 million (centre)
8. 'The Legend of Zelda': 47 million
9. 'Sonic the Hedgehog': 44 million
10. 'Gran Turismo': 44 million
11. 'Lineage': 43 million
12. 'Dragon Quest': 41 million
13. 'Crash Bandicoot': 34 million
14. 'Resident Evil': 31 million
15. 'James Bond': 30 million
16. 'Tomb Raider': 30 million
17. 'Mega Man': 26 million
18. 'Command & Conquer': 25 million
19. 'Street Fighter': 25 million
20. 'Mortal Kombat': 20 million

I don't think those overall worldwide sales of software tells what is more popular and what is not as of today.

As of today, I'd say Grand Theft Auto is the most popular title right next to Gran Turismo.

Ignoring the fact that there are 14 Final Fantasy games compared to, what, 5 GTA games?

Plus, apparantly that list is wrong/questionable. It comes off wikipedia. Star Wars and some other franchises that have sold more than 20 mil are missing.

Plus are they counting GBA advance titles and the like? I mean I dont know if a 19.99 GBColor game really counts as much as a full optical disc title, though I can understand doing it that way. Makes me wonder if stuff like XBLA downloads (games like MK) would be counted too? (Not that they'd have much effect, yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back