Will gaming ever Mature? Console Wars/Fanboys and "Winning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanlee

Newcomer
Do you think we will ever get to a place in gaming where people will buy the console they want and that meets their needs and not feel the desire to rant about it on forums and insult people that just happen to choose another console?

While obviously the majority of users do not do this and I know this somewhat happens in some industries\hobbies but it seem to be pretty prevalent in the gaming industry.

This idea of "winning" the console wars is very silly to me and it seems no one every looks behind the curtain of "winning" to see WTF that is supposed to mean?

How do you "Win" a console war especially as a consumer? You could buy all the consoles enjoy the games and pretty much be happy, maybe you pick the console that does not quite sell as well as the others but still have games you enjoy? Maybe the console you bought made the most profit for the company but sold less than others is that a win?

So who "won" and what did you get as a reward? Do they send you a life time supply of chocolate?

Are these gamers simply sports fans that don't like sports? Do they have some empty part of their lives that they need to fill by Rooting for a company and having to go against the "other" team?

At some point do you think that the console war itself is more of a hobby for these people as opposed to gaming? Seems some of them spend a lot of time and energy spewing bile on other gamers and not much time actually playing video games.

We know why Websites and Game Journalism fuel this debate because it gets rating and clicks but I'd like ONE of them to question the idea of "winning" when they talk about the console wars and what that actually mean to the consumer and WHY the consumer should even bother with this debate as opposed to just enjoying video games.

In the end we like to play video games I just don't see why the divide in the industry is needed that extends down to the consumer and isolates and separates people that enjoy the same hobby. The consumers seems to do it to themselves by perpetuating this crap but is their any way to stop it while their are multiple companies making game consoles? I don't think any rational person wants a one console industry and the monopoly and anti consumer practices that would follow, but these fanboys sure would like that.

So will it ever end or is this industry pretty much doomed to forever console "wars" perpetuated by people who don't actually "win" anything.

This a Religious, Social, and Political discussion, as it deals with human psychology and behaviour. You need a discussion to decide what causes that behaviour, wherein you have a furious debate about nature versus nurture and cultural influence versus natural tendencies, etc. You'd then need to follow that up with a furious debate about whether human beings can possibly change and whether they should possibly change, or whether human attitudes are natural and to be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back