Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the size of the PS3 is a problem, I'd rather have a large console that is cooled properly than a smaller one that can potentially die on me.

Current one is about the largest they should have.

But yeah, more important than size to me is the noise. If they could reduce the fan noise or the need for the fan to run as often, that would be a big win.

Yeah, I just want a quieter, more energy efficient PS3 (I have a 20GB launch unit which consumes the most power). But I agree, I think I'm going to wait a few months after the release of the slim to make sure there aren't any overheating issues.

I also hope they keep the glossy look, although the matte finish wouldn't attract so much dust.

I've been waiting to buy a PS3 again after having sold my backwards-compatible 80GB model (yeah, I know) and this may be the move that facilitates said purchase.

It would be great if they brought back backwards compatibility as I just bought the Devil May Cry 3-game set.

Wishful thinking, but it would be really great if there was someway to trade in your old system for credit towards a slim.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/983/983279p1.html
Today, we received word that a trustworthy US GameStop employee discussed the matter with a Sony merchandizing representative. When the leaked photos were brought up in private conversation, the merchandizing representative was immediately surprised that the photos were "released already," but then hastily dismissed the subject when the rep realized that it was regarding a rumor. Could this reaction indicate that the PS3 Slim is more real than we originally thought?

It's interesting to see how this gets priced/advertised, a new premium unit with the same price or a "PS3 for the masses" as the new logo suggests.

If they have the shipping boxes ready, it can't be that far off. Consumers only care about price, and a large reduction in price and shrinkage in components would help Sony achieve that.

If they intend to annouce it at E3, then it won't be far off market. Definitely before Christmas this year.

If they have the shipping boxes ready, it can't be that far off. Consumers only care about price, and a large reduction in price and shrinkage in components would help Sony achieve that.

If they intend to annouce it at E3, then it won't be far off market. Definitely before Christmas this year.
This way of doing would make a lot more sense :) during summer would be a great move.

As I wrote the other day shops in Japan are running out of their PS3 stock, if new units are coming it will be soon. But I had thought concrete PSP2 info would come up before new PS3, now it looks like they are planning a relaunch across all PS platforms at E3 as the first serious "chang3" under the Hirai regime.

The manufacturing of the 40 GB model that was released in october 2007 had at least started in June the same year. The rumoured September release sounds plausable IMO.

If they have the shipping boxes ready, it can't be that far off. Consumers only care about price...
That's not entirely true. PS2Slim sold a big spike at launch without a price-drop, because the form factor made it more desirable.

Here is one photoshop model from GAF:
2hdwfhl.jpg

It looks hot. Cant wait to se final model [with maybe one more final layer on top of this mold].

Looks much sleeker and high-tech. I prefer the gloss finish, though the practicalities of it are a little more awkward.

Yeah well, most people's eyes will be on the software and network side of things. Hopefully they have some surprises there too.

As I wrote the other day shops in Japan are running out of their PS3 stock, if new units are coming it will be soon. But I had thought concrete PSP2 info would come up before new PS3, now it looks like they are planning a relaunch across all PS platforms at E3 as the first serious "chang3" under the Hirai regime.

The "other day" was one and a half month ago. The Japanese market must be pretty drained of PS3s by now or what?

The "other day" was one and a half month ago. The Japanese market must be pretty drained of PS3s by now or what?
For example, this is the SonyStyle store in Japan.
http://www1.jp.sonystyle.com/Qnavi/Product/CECH-L00/

So you click the orange "purchase" button...
http://www1.jp.sonystyle.com/Qnavi/Purchase/CECH-L00/

and only the black model can be selected. White/Silver are unavailable right now.
It's not that it disappeared all over outlets, but the supply is constrained.

Am I one of the few that has always been willing to pay for a very high end model in a standard size separates case? I just simply don't understand why they have never done it, unless I really am of a small select bunch. Something along the lines of the original specifications, most of the ports on the back (2 HDMI, 2 Gbit, 6 USB, etc) and card slots on the front with 2 USB for charging, small display on the front with buttons, a PlayTV type of unit at the back (the full SCC onboard) with standard RF and Satellite/Cable coax inputs and a CAM slot (they could also do deals with certain operators/broadcasters to do this in software, linked to your PSN account), normal IR receiver, even a Blu-ray burner drive with a tray.

I'd pay 600-800 quid for that depending upon exact specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back