Rumor: Silicon Knights "We're dumping Unreal Engine 3"

mrboo

Regular
This is a bit of a shock..

Sources tell AMN Xbox 360 that Silicon Knights – the developer behind Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes – is ditching the Unreal Engine 3 for its upcoming Xbox 360-exclusive title, Too Human, in favor of coding its own engine, on account that the Unreal Engine does not work well with the Xbox 360 hardware.

Unfortunately, our sources were unable to reveal whether or not the new Too Human engine is being built ground-up or if it still uses some elements of the Unreal Engine.

This is not the first we have heard in regards to developers having trouble developing software using the Unreal Engine 3.For months now, we have heard stories that the engine is not easy to work with and is very buggy.

Link : http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=7954

It either bad news or good news depending on how you look at it..

Bad - Game delay is very possible now

Good - Being built on a custom engine made for 360 is always a bonus, tiling anyone?

Bad news for me, I thought the game looked great and was hoping for a Q1 2007 release.

Good to hear they are designing a custom engine, though they should've started it 12 months ago!!

Definitely bad news. They need to finish the game yesterday. To heck with whether the engine is perfectly suited for the 360 hardware or not.

Besides, it's a little hard to argue that with Bioware and Epic making games for MS using that engine.

Would be fun if the game is going to be delayed another console-generation and be sheduled for Sonys next-gen console (PS4). Sony -> Nintendo -> MS ->Sony, I doubt any game came full circle yet :D

Definitely bad news. They need to finish the game yesterday. To heck with whether the engine is perfectly suited for the 360 hardware or not.

Besides, it's a little hard to argue that with Bioware and Epic making games for MS using that engine.

Mass Effect and Gears of Wars are arguably the best looking games on the X360 so I have to agree with you.

Nice selective editing.

Let's put in the parts you left out.

RUMOR: Sources reveal to AMN that the first in Silicon Knight’s epic Too Human trilogy will not use the Unreal Engine 3

So, it's just a rumor.

Unfortunately, our sources were unable to reveal whether or not the new Too Human engine is being built ground-up or if it still uses some elements of the Unreal Engine.

That sort of contridicts the claim that they ditched the engine, doesn't it?

AMN contacted Silicon Knights for comment on this story but was told, “We don’t comment on rumors of this nature.â€￾

Apparently their source doesn't work for Silicon Knights.

I would have to say that Too Human is far more ambitious graphically than either ME or GOW, given the massive amount of characters they are planning on having on screen.

I would have to say that Too Human is far more ambitious graphically than either ME or GOW, given the massive amount of characters they are planning on having on screen.

More ambitious in some ways. But taking detail and environments into account I don't know if I'd say it one ups ME or especially GOW.

I never understood why MS wants to use UE3 in almost all of their AAA-exclusives..
I doubt Halo 3, PGR, Forza, Fable, Shadowrun, Alan Wake or any Rare game will use UE3.0. That Epic uses it is a total no-brainer, and SK using someone else's engine is not unprecedented. Bioware is the interesting one, as they've always made their own engines before ME.

But on the whole, I see quite a few MS published games that do not use UE3.0.

lmao.

Silicon Knights, hey, you might as well hold Too Human over yet another console generation.

maybe you'll get it done on Xbox2010 or PS4, then again, maybe not.

lmao.

Silicon Knights, hey, you might as well hold Too Human over yet another console generation.

maybe you'll get it done on Xbox2010 or PS4, then again, maybe not.

no no, that'd be breaking their 6-year game cycle ; )

seriously, that whole story is a bag-of-salt rumor, but i, for one, would not be surprised one bit if it ended up true.

Yet one is an Action RPG and the other is a Tactical FPS. Too Human is an action-fighting game which will rely heavily on stable framerates and advanced animation. UE have never been known for great animation; part of that problem is obviously artistic, but there is no indication that UE3 is designed to accomodate a game like Too Human, God of War, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Who knows if the rumor is true. A number of developers seem to be getting along with UE3 fine. Of course there are no finished products yet and there is no denying that middleware is not the best solution necessarily for console exclusive titles with good funding (but is a good way to get out of the door quickly... doh!) If this rumor is true (big if), then hopefully their new engine is well adapted to use all the content they already created.

The last time TH it had serious camera issue, framerate issues and stability, dumb AI (disabled?), lack of interactivity in regards to robots, a lot of precanned/long/unbreakable animations, and a seemingly lack of combos (although watching HS in the hands of a newb and the HS dev team was an eye opener, so that may be a player issue, not game issue), etc. The best thing about TO so far has been the art direction and the still shots. Whatever they do they have a long road ahead of them.

But SK has made some great games in the past and with MS funding I hope/expect they can really clean it up. The God of War dev said 12 months out (right before they delayed the game) it was a mess and the extra time allowed a ton of polish. So we can hope :???:

Edit: It would not surprise me if SK had their own engine already in development in the background. I am sure a LOT of companies using UE3 are doing this. Get early games out the door with UE3 and then go with a more specialized version for each platform down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass Effect and Gears of Wars are arguably the best looking games on the X360 so I have to agree with you.
as ive said a few times on these forums
u do realise the vast majority of gear of war shots released are not actual in game shots?
this story could be bullshit though, hopefully it is for the developers or else they wont make the release date in time

Yet one is an Action RPG and the other is a Tactical FPS. Too Human is an action-fighting game which will rely heavily on stable framerates and advanced animation. UE have never been known for great animation; part of that problem is obviously artistic, but there is no indication that UE3 is designed to accomodate a game like Too Human, God of War, Heavenly Sword, etc.
After watching the clip of Mass Effect that just went up at 1up.com, I'm prepared to lay the entire animation shortcoming squarely at the feet of SK. Go watch it if you don't believe me. Besides the excellent facial animation, the accuracy and weight of Shepard walking and turning is spot on.

As for framerate, that could be a shortcoming inherent to UE3. But SK had a rather stable framerate prior to E3, so I rather doubt it cannot be overcome.

u do realise the vast majority of gear of war shots released are not actual in game shots?
I've been wowed by the video, personally. It's no secret nor minority opinion that Gears is one of the best looking games to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed
:LOL: ok... well the movies of game play (which are horrible quality BTW), are enough to convince me that it's going to look at least OK. ;) :D

Bad news for me, I thought the game looked great and was hoping for a Q1 2007 release.

Good to hear they are designing a custom engine, though they should've started it 12 months ago!!

No bull scooby. Man maybe they read the bad stuff people said about the game at E3?

If true, I would place more emphasis on the positive side of this development.

The more (and earlier) people exploit Xbox 360 internals, the better.

Xbox 360 is not going to die just because of delaying 1 game. At the same time, Epic get kicked for under-delivering too (If rumor is true !), so they have some more urgency to improve their Xbox 360 product (may be PS3 too, who knows :| ) rather than getting away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back