Rings of Red

Not true. I am in Canada and I got a refurb back after sending it in for repair (system freezing a few minutes into any game). I sent a machine in that was built in 2006 and got a refurb back that was built in 2005.

Needless to say I do not have it any longer as I pointed out to Futureshop where I bought the extended warranty that they guaranteed I would get a new unit if the one I bought ever broke down. They fought me a bit on the issue but in the end I got a new unit (the Elite in fact where I paid the 30 dollars difference).

Odd, I had a rather lengthy discussion with a supervisor at tech support, he assured me that all Canadian returns were new units. Mine most definitely was a new unit.

i never knew elite was out in canada :oops:. it might be interesting to see if elite has lower failure rate percentage wise but atm the internals suggest it shouldn't be any different.

Dave Baumann gave me bad rep for this post... hahaha awesome to be the number one member isn´t it Dave? so much for not abusing your power...

Yes yes i know "report it to a moderator" like that would do any good when it´s "the man". Well atleast we know Dave is 100% objective don´t we?

I'm sure its no secret to people who have come here that Dave is not objective, but he is no longer the owner of the site and hence not "the man". But that doesn't mean you should point it out in this thread, I think you should complain in another section of the forum.

Dave Baumann gave me bad rep for this post... hahaha awesome to be the number one member isn´t it Dave? so much for not abusing your power...

Yes yes i know "report it to a moderator" like that would do any good when it´s "the man". Well atleast we know Dave is 100% objective don´t we?

OT,
Well youre comment was a bit harsh especially the 'lasting' part! ;)

tkf - I'm merely a user of these forums now and I'll use these forums as any other users can. Your comment was both pointless and antagonistic, as I personally see most of your comments are when you are participating in a 360 related thread.

well, just piece of info i found...

A bolt on Intercooler?!

I'm glad to see MS at least doing something. Really the hard lining, 'there is no reliability problem' just seems an awful lot like 'these are not the droids you are looking for'.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the X360 after the process shrink. Will the XClamps persist? Or will they be dropped for something else. With so many 360's out there, they obviously need to fix problem X360s with something a bit more economical than replacing the entire board. So is this a stopgap?

Link to hey69's post in the Console Tech section
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41997

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend tells me he saw an MS official intercooler for sale in GAME. Can't find it on the website, but if true, that might well backfire on MS. If they sell their own additional cooler to get the machine to not die, there's a great case that they didn't build them properly in the first place and are selling additional hardware to do the basic job.

I got my 360 back today, yay. Only issues with getting it fixed was paying for a box to send it there, them sending it back to the wrong address (they sent it to my home instead of my work, despite confirming my work address with me twice), and having to resetup the 360 when I got it back... not tooooooo bad, they were very quick, and it wasn't hard to organise the return, so that was good. :)

Good to have it back, hope it doesn't break again.

Maxconsole reported this as well with another having their console done like this. So I guess all of this is legit.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=17870

already a thread on that here but an "Intercooler" is an external fan attachment made by a 3rd party that has nothing to do with the internals.

good for Ms if they are really adding a hardware fix to boards where they have shown to have excess heat.

Personally, my 360 works great and if it ever does fail, back to GameCrazy for a brand new one. :D

My 4th Xbox 360 just got the 3 rings...this is just absurd.

The last time I got it RMAed I asked for them NOT to send me a refurbished one because they never seemed to last. They told me they can't send new ones...and here we go, another one dead.

I wish I haven't invested so much into the console (controllers, library...), because this is ridiculous.

Stop spreading FUD Asher ;)

I think here in Australia they replace parts in YOUR Xbox 360, and then send that back...

Stop spreading FUD Asher ;)

I think here in Australia they replace parts in YOUR Xbox 360, and then send that back...
That would be even more annoying. Here, they send an empty box, I send my unit back, then they send me a refurbished unit.

All of them are more or less "launch" units they keep giving me. The last one I had (which lastest the longest), was the newest: Manufactured December 2005.

Just got off the phone with customer service again.

I reiterated that it was completely unacceptable and absurd that they keep sending me "refurbished units" that do not last any reasonable amount of time. I was directed to a supervisor.

She then flatly told me that they don't send "refurbished units", they send a "working repaired console". I again requested a new console, rather than a "repaired" console, as in my experience they are not repaired and after this many times, something needs to change.

She then flatly, borderline rudely, told me their policy is if you have to send 3 different consoles in for repair, within 3 months, then you get a new one...and since my 4 Xbox 360s were spread over 6 months I do not qualify.

I then asked for a concession: instead of waiting for them to send me an empty box, then waiting for my box to get to them, then waiting for them to ship me a "replacement", could they simply send the replacement in a box and I'll ship my old console out with it? I even offered to leave my creditcard number for insurance.

No, that is not an option. I have to deal with the 2-3 week turnaround and numerous trips to the Purolator depot (since they don't deliver to my door or even leave notes since I live in an apartment building...but that's another story).

What a nightmare.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson. I bought my first on launch day, only place I knew with 'em in stock was futureshop.ca. Ordered it online, never bought the extended warranty.

I know better now...

I think you should call them again. This time record the conversation (after informing them of that) and post the whole conversation somewhere. Shoot even email it to MS's CS stating how this is unacceptable. 4 broken consoles is 3 (some may even say 4) too many. Hell a free game or three would be nice while you are at it.

Back