Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

I wonder how they are going to deal with the different performance of these 3rd party devices. Like the cheap devices could cause performance levels that would cause vr sickness, the refund policy on their store is ok so I guess there is that safety net.

I wonder how they are going to deal with the different performance of these 3rd party devices. Like the cheap devices could cause performance levels that would cause vr sickness, the refund policy on their store is ok so I guess there is that safety net.
This was also my first take. But I see it more of a pita for the game developers. Till now the quest was a sort of console like environment with only a few devices to optimize for which made developing easier. Now you will have to make your game scale much more. If you look at the PC space now you see that this can spell disaster down the road. We are lucky now that there aren't that many mobile vr chipsets that you can target but that will probably be different in the future.
On a positive note. Meta has by one of the best software stacks of the vr-devices. To the point that some high-spec devices sometimes fall short because of poor software. It was always a shame that meta did not have a good high-spec vr-device. Now we can have other companies that can fill that space while still have the benefit the software stack from meta.

John Carmack post was pretty balanced. He pointed out the positive things (more hardware variety that can fill some niches and maybe high spec devices) and the negative things (slower software development and decision making at Meta). Maybe I have misread it but he didn't really say if he things it's good or bad.

the refund policy on their store is ok so I guess there is that safety net.
I'm not sure I follow you here, why would it be Meta's job to refund sales of other companies products ?
If I bought a laptop that ran badly I wouldnt expect Microsoft to give me a refund just because they supplied the operating system.

I'm not sure I follow you here, why would it be Meta's job to refund sales of other companies products ?
If I bought a laptop that ran badly I wouldnt expect Microsoft to give me a refund just because they supplied the operating system.

i think he was talking about apps refund policy, if an app runs bad on your device, you an get a refund of the app.

Yeh I ment being able to get a refund on a game you bought through the meta quest store. Like you have a cheap device, buy asgards wrath 2 on the quest store then when it runs horribly and gives you vr sickness you could at least refund the game.

ahh, it still depends on who's fault it is that it runs bad the game or the device. Plus you could start to see games being released with minimum system requirements.
Since I'm here I have a question when I run a vr game on steam I get the choice of Oculus vr mode or steam vr mode - what's the difference ?

Last edited:
Since I'm here I have a question when I run a vr game on steam I get the choice of Oculus vr mode or steam vr mode - what's the difference ?
I believe it's basically choosing between going through the oculus sdk/api vs going through steams vr sdk/api which is kind of like a translation/emulation layer for oculus devices. There should be some level of better performance going through the oculus path, probably not an issue or noticeable either way unless your system is in the lower end of the performance spectrum.

Back