Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Are any of the AC games open world?

I haven't played in a long time, probably PS3 days.

As I recall, it was on rails kind of, no open world. And sluggish combat.

I searched for the console version of AC which is set in Venice.

Was it AC2? Here is a video of a gameplay from the remastered version for the PS5.

OK better details and lighting as you'd expect than this VR video. However the VR version seems like Venice as an open world so you can explore?

The AC2 remaster doesn't show climbing the buildings, though maybe Venice isn't the best place for climbing.

I feel like the buildings look better in the VR version, but the lighting is worse, but yes they're both open-world. Every single preview has mentioned you can attack objectives as you see fit and there are RPG elements too. 15-20 hours long.

Also this.

60-hour RPG standalone Quest 3

The first game was a high 80s on Metacritic

90fps confirmed based on a neogaf post I saw for the standalone.

Reminds me of a PS3 game with better textures. Not really a bad thing if you go into it like it's retro and turns out as good as the first.

Also this.

60-hour RPG standalone Quest 3

The first game was a high 80s on Metacritic

90fps confirmed based on a neogaf post I saw for the standalone.

Reminds me of a PS3 game with better textures. Not really a bad thing if you go into it like it's retro and turns out as good as the first.

I got this free with my Quest 3 but haven't tried it yet but it looks good.

BTW does anyone with a Quest 3 have any opinions on the quality of the pass through? I wasn't expecting it to be so grainy tbh. Is that normal? Everything is perfectly visible in good light but it's definitely not a completely clear picture like the VR imagery.

I got this free with my Quest 3 but haven't tried it yet but it looks good.

BTW does anyone with a Quest 3 have any opinions on the quality of the pass through? I wasn't expecting it to be so grainy tbh. Is that normal? Everything is perfectly visible in good light but it's definitely not a completely clear picture like the VR imagery.

Doesn't come out until Dec 15th.

Not sure about the passthrough. Mine looks like a 720p video but not incredible. I can read texts on my phone easily.

New video

passthrough is done with mobile phone cameras, so very noisy if not perfectly lit, i guess it's a good deal worse than the future Apple headset, but the price is not the same !
Meta said the passthrough will get better with future update, we'll see...

passthrough is done with mobile phone cameras, so very noisy if not perfectly lit, i guess it's a good deal worse than the future Apple headset, but the price is not the same !
Meta said the passthrough will get better with future update, we'll see...

Glad to know mine not just broken! Don't get me wrong, it's entirely usable and an amazing feature vs my old Rift which lacked any pass through. But I've got no previous frame of reference to compare this with and the promo videos all make it look like a crystal clear 4k image.

I'm current trying to work out how to get a floating screen in passthrough on which I can play 2d games or watch tv/movies.

I tried the Quest virtual desktop from my PC but it lags like crazy in the one game I tried and appears to default to some horrible, low 16:9 resolution.

for some comparison of passthrough between the Quest headsets you can check this new video ! Even the $1000 Quest pro is worse ! (and lacks depth sensor)

For virtual desktop, i've never tried it, but i guess it's a matter of good settings, also i don't know if they already updated the app for full Quest 3 use yet.

for some comparison of passthrough between the Quest headsets you can check this new video ! Even the $1000 Quest pro is worse ! (and lacks depth sensor)

For virtual desktop, i've never tried it, but i guess it's a matter of good settings, also i don't know if they already updated the app for full Quest 3 use yet.

Awesome thanks! That looks like it probably aligns with my experience.

Once I start using passthrough for a game it's completely fine. If I start looking around the environment it's not completely clear but easily good enough. I couldn't read my phone at all with Quest 2 and it was black and white, now we have full color and I can read my phone at a full arm's distance away.

Just noticed Fly Dangerous and TheBlu are free on steam

And the same article except it doesn't require a WSJ subscription.

So, the VR market doesn't appear to be doing well...

Meta’s China partnership comes as weakening demand for VR headsets fuels skepticism about the technology’s longer-term potential to win over consumers. Earlier this year, Meta slashed prices for some headsets after its global shipments more than halved in the fourth quarter of last year.

The market leader in China’s VR-headset industry, TikTok-owner ByteDance, is cutting hundreds of jobs in its Pico headset unit as it struggles with lackluster sales. Pico’s marketing, sales and content teams will be downsized as it restructures to focus on hardware and other core technologies.

Also, I knew Meta was well ahead WRT marketshare for VR headsets, but 50% of the market? That's quite a lot.

Meta was the global headset-market leader in the second quarter of 2023, with about 50% market share, according to data from market research firm IDC, while Sony and ByteDance’s Pico were the second- and third-largest headset makers. Meta’s Quest 3 starts from $500 and Sony’s PlayStation VR2 costs $550. Pico costs around $340 in China and isn’t sold in the U.S.

So, how bad could the market possibly be?

Global headset shipment fell 44.6% in the quarter from a year ago, IDC data shows. The market research firm expects 8.5 million headsets to ship this year, slightly more than in 2017.

Ouch. You have to go all the way back to 2017 to find a worse shipping year for VR headsets if IDC's projection holds for 2023. Keep in mind this is a quarter in which PSVR2 was available versus a quarter a year ago when it wasn't.

Also, great time to get back into the China Market.

In China, the VR market ended a two-year growth streak with a 56% decline in headset shipments in the first half of this year, according to technology analyst Counterpoint Research. Pico—with a 50% market share there—has this year scaled back marketing efforts and lowered shipment targets. Sony took 19% after its February debut.

Oooof, or maybe not. Tencent was about to shut down VR operations, but they reversed that decision after the deal with Meta.

Tencent came close to disbanding its extended-reality technology team, which includes its VR efforts, in February as it scaled back investment. As the deal with Meta neared agreement, Tencent rebuilt the team in August, people familiar with the matter said.

Of course, this is all still assuming the Government of China doesn't end up blocking it.

Regards,
SB

People complaining of discomfort, nausea and vertigo.

Maybe all the early adopters have bought devices and other potential buyers are not sold.

Back