Revolution to support WiFi, Broadcom supplying wireless tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Last month at GDC Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced that Revolution would be WiFi enabled. This was reported on major news sites and most game sites:

CNN
President Satoru Iwata, in a keynote speech at the Game Developer's Conference, said the new machine, currently code-named Revolution, will be backwards compatible. That is, it will be able to play all existing GameCube games, as well as ones specifically designed for the new system. Revolution will also be wi-fi enabled, allowing owners to play others around the country for free.

IGN
GameSpot
Gizmodo

Today is was confirmed that Broadcom is supplying the wireless technologies to power the Revolutions wireless features.

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7645
Broadcom Corporation, a global leader in wired and wireless broadband communications semiconductors, today announced a partnership with Nintendo to provide wireless technology for Nintendo's next generation gaming systems (including the Nintendo Revolution). Broadcom's technology will enable Nintendo to add cutting-edge wireless features and connectivity to its next generation console, which will feature an advanced wireless platform that integrates multiple technologies to enable a new and exciting gaming experience.

Although Iwata announced the wireless features of Revolution at GDC and was reported by major news sites it seems to have flown under some reader's radar. Just want to make sure no one missed it this time ;)

So the console will support wifi, okayyyy, why did you make another topic?

look I get your point that it's something we know about revoloution, but at the same time you glossed over things we know about xbox 2, such as how the interface works, the fact it's HDTV for all the games, etc. technically we know even more about xbox 2.

anyway no need to start a duplicate topic.

Only the last part is duplicate. If you read the post you would see the first half has nothing to do with the Broadcom deal (which is a more broad announcement whereas the GDC is Iwata discussing the actual Rev features).

Q, trying too hard is making off hand remarks that since you missed the WiFi announcement, that everyone and their mom reported, and that somehow you missing this announcement showed Nintendo was not keeping developers in the loop.

never heard about nintendos' discussion on that at GDC, i gues that really show's how nintendo is keeping developers in the loop, eh

All I have simply done was provide a community service for any others who might have missed the news. I mean, if you missed it imagine how many other developers who are in the dark ;)

Since you never even heard of the WiFi stuff I am not sure why you are complaining. Oh well...

All I have simply done was provide a community service for any others who might have missed the news. I mean, if you missed it imagine how many other developers who are in the dark

Well regarding the wireless thing, missed may have been the wrong word. More like didn't feel it was important. Btw I did see the stuff about Broadcom annoucement late today. Still my eyes glazed over looking at the press release, as it doesn't really have much an impact on what a developer will do.

Since you never even heard of the WiFi stuff I am not sure why you are complaining. Oh well...

I'm actually not complaining, I just don't see why you were making a big deal about it? IMO, as far as most developers would be concerend, wireless or wired doesn't change the way the game will be coded. I mean It's like you make a big file on your PC and copy that file to a drive over firewire, and again to a drive over USB. The type of interface between the computer and those two harddrives don't change the way you created that file, right? You can get a difference in connection speed, but you don't need to create the file any differently...

[edit] clarified my statement[edit ends]

IMO, as far as most developers would be concerend, wireless or wired doesn't change the way the game will be coded.

Since when is changing the way a game will be coded a prerequisite for a new topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back