TI announces OMAP5

I thought TI was getting out of the SOC business?

Yep; but they also officially stated that they're going to honor all OMAP5 design wins. It's a transition period which most likely means that OMAP6 is out of the picture and not OMAP5 (or at least parts of its roadmap).

So GPUs dumped 2D/GUI acceleration hardware but now it's back in the form of a separate processor from another company. Funky.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/texas-instruments-dlp-car-infotainment-hud/

To power those systems, TI has also announced a new OMAP 5 chip codenamed Jacinto 6 tailor made for automotive applications. It's got two Cortex A15 cores, two Cortex M4 cores and PowerVR SGX-544 graphics to provide ample computing power and electrical efficiency. We won't be seeing DLP in-dash systems in showrooms anytime soon -- Jacinto 6 won't go into production until 2014 -- but TI has brought a few concept systems to CES, and you can see one of them in a demo video after the break.

New Jacinto OMAP5? Those specs sound exactly like the original OMAP5 when it was announced :S

Also are we ever going to see OMAP5 in a consumer product? Given that TI was the lead licensee and it was sampling back in Q1 2012, surely we ought to have seen it in a product by now.

New Jacinto OMAP5? Those specs sound exactly like the original OMAP5 when it was announced :S

Also are we ever going to see OMAP5 in a consumer product? Given that TI was the lead licensee and it was sampling back in Q1 2012, surely we ought to have seen it in a product by now.

Just a rebadge for different markets, perhaps with some features fused off. Same thing with TI's old DM37xx, AM37xx, and OMAP36xx lines - most likely all the same die, different markets.

Albeit I don't think so, the only case where we might see OMAP5 in a tablet would be from Amazon.

FWIW, Barnes and Nobles seem to be discontinuing their Android tablets, with the Nook being sold at fire sales everywhere.
That's one less door for the OMAP5.

But I thought TI wasn't interested in getting design wins on mobile devices. Isn't that right?

But I thought TI wasn't interested in getting design wins on mobile devices. Isn't that right?

Why would they not be interested in getting design wins on mobile devices for a product that was and still is marketed for that segment?

There's a big difference between no longer dedicating new resources to a market you're struggling in and throwing out a product you've already completed..

Why would they not be interested in getting design wins on mobile devices for a product that was and still is marketed for that segment?

There's a big difference between no longer dedicating new resources to a market you're struggling in and throwing out a product you've already completed..
My personal experience is that when a company exists particular business, they can't wait to leave it behind as soon as possible. In the case of TI, they have laid off people all over the world and chips with this kind of complexity require design support no matter how good your design guide is.

I'd be surprised if TI were still actively marketing this device for mobile products. I'd be even more surprised if somebody decided to use their devices for new designs.

I think leaving up their product page with links to all the stuff for mobile qualifies as marketing the device for mobile products. If they really wanted to wipe it out they'd pull it all down.

http://www.ti.com/product/omap5432

They don't need all of their SoC engineers to help customers integrate it in new products. They have reference designs and I'm sure they have plenty of people who can work with them even if they're not on a dedicated OMAP team for it. And it's not like the support needed for that is totally different from the support needed to help integrate what's essentially the same chip (and probably the same support chips, PMIC etc) into devices targeting different markets.

They have foisted the SoC on various module makers, that could well be a sign of trying to limit the number of groups they'll have to interact with on it. But I think that could kind of speak of its niche.. much lower volume devices, but while these may not be mainstream phones or tablets they could still qualify as mobile. It would be great if OMAP5 is available for this (and not an awful for it) because Freescale is definitely not offering anything, Samsung is pretty stingy (I know a design team that was offered Exynos 5250 then they took it back because HQ was afraid it'd reflect badly on them), and Qualcomm will laugh at you if you even ask. Maybe nVidia, although word used to be that they only shipped in quantities of 100k+, but maybe OUYA and what have you is a sign of moving away from that. Or who knows, maybe Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back