Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

Looks to be coming along nicely! The scope, style and gameplay all look very polished and well thought out. As others have mentioned, Resistance looks to be very reminiscent of Halo in terms gameplay. Copying Halo's large scale wide open battlefields, Resistance looks as if it creates a great sense of scale that will offer players a wide variety of choices to make when deciding on how to attack the next enemy.

Looks to be coming along nicely! The scope, style and gameplay all look very polished and well thought out. As others have mentioned, Resistance looks to be very reminiscent of Halo in terms gameplay. Copying Halo's large scale wide open battlefields, Resistance looks as if it creates a great sense of scale that will offer players a wide variety of choices to make when deciding on how to attack the next enemy.

Halo is all about the AI and atmosphere. It's a slower paced FPS that involves strategy not just running and gunning. Have you played the game? Both these games have aliens invading earth but the similarities end there. This is more reminscent of Unreal Tournament due to the fast pacing and weapon types rather than Halo.

yes after viewing the quality of the new screenshots i take back my comment, it does look like gameplay.
incredible texture res + polygon count

Looks like it to me. Model detail is definitely comparable to a game's. May well suffer from PRisms though.

Resistance is an FPS, surely unless there is a pair of hands and a big weapon sticking out the bottom of the screen (and most likely a HUD as well) it's not gameplay - realtime in-engine perhaps - but not gameplay.

wow this game just keeps looking better + better (except the lack of unified shadows)
i can see where the 20gb went
i wouldnt be surprised if its a ~95% at www.gamerankings.com

O.K can you enlighten us as to where you see the 20GB??On the advanced A.I maybe??On the high-quality,high-res (brown colour oh how i love you) textures??On the "fantastic" animation??On the tons of enemies,vehicles shown in the footage??On the ,very demanding always,CGI cut-scenes??

What exactly in this game screams "20 GB"???

Anyways both the new COD3 footage and HL:ep2 kills this in just about everything(graphics,animation e.t.c).I mean in both COD3 and HL:ep2 you can see the value of..... colours!!!(something that is totally absent from resistance)

Here I was, thinking that pad-controlled shooters would always stick to a somewhat slower pace.
Resistance looks surprisingly fast and furious.

Resistance is an FPS, surely unless there is a pair of hands and a big weapon sticking out the bottom of the screen (and most likely a HUD as well) it's not gameplay - realtime in-engine perhaps - but not gameplay.
If you want to be pedantic ;) It's certainly how the game looks when playing, sans big gun and perhaps with PR touchup. Personally I don't think that particular shot anything impressive, so don't see any reason why someone would disbelieve it's in-game.

If you want to be pedantic ;)

Ouch! :p

Have to agree to disagree there though. I pay very little attention to any shots that don't have a HUD. Real-Time Custcenes, replays or photomode type shots are a good notch above actual gameplay in graphical terms generally. The resistance shot being discussed seemed like a quality jump from most of the in-game stuff I have seen (IMHO)

I'll look at non-HUD shots, admire them, listen to discussion around the technical merits etc but I won't get too worked up about them. This strategy is a great help when looking at certain well discussed Game Trailers from E32K5, much of the stuff coming out now substantially exceeds my expectations.

Halo is all about the AI and atmosphere. It's a slower paced FPS that involves strategy not just running and gunning. Have you played the game? Both these games have aliens invading earth but the similarities end there. This is more reminscent of Unreal Tournament due to the fast pacing and weapon types rather than Halo.

Have you ever tried running through a level in Halo holding down the trigger? It works surprisingly well! I agree, the action in this game is a bit more like Unreal Tournament than Halo, but from watching the 1UP video I could not help feel this game bore a strange resemblance to Halo that ran deeper than just aliens invading earth.

Have you ever tried running through a level in Halo holding down the trigger? It works surprisingly well!

I think the people who can honestly say that worked going through legendary, or even heroic, (especially on the early play-throughs) number merely in the hundreds, if not dozens.... if not significantly closer to zero.

And Halo on anything lower than Heroic isn't really Halo at all; it's just a standard FPS to be quite honest. No strategy, AI doesn't get to do many of the things that make it seem intelligent, lower damage means that what they can do is relatively harmless (and it's exciting to get down to less than one hit's worth of life left, and be dodging bullets to get to cover, tossing a grenade or two, bouncing a frag around the corner, etc. And in Halo, thanks to the shield system, it can happen numerous, numerous times in a single "life"), and choosing/carrying two weapons has absolutely no effect on how easy or hard the game is.

As for Resistance :)grin: ) My impression of the graphics: very nice. I like the animation, the weapons are quite detailed and many are semi-interesting to downright awesome. I like the textures, and so on. Gameplay still looks to be up in the air, of course. Can't say I'm impressed at all yet. Hoping to see more soon.

I remember Killzone's animations and weapon models also being very good. So I hope Resistance doesn't fall short where that game did. (among them, the worst offender being sound. No. More. Grenades. And sorry for bringing that game into this discussion :p )

I think the people who can honestly say that worked going through legendary, or even heroic, (especially on the early play-throughs) number merely in the hundreds, if not dozens.... if not significantly closer to zero.

Halo 1 or 2 ?

Halo 1 Legendary is not so tough, but difficult enough to be fun. In some situations, it's actually better to rush past the spawn point so that you can end a fight quickly (Otherwise, you'll encounter multiple waves of monsters). There are a few areas where you're trapped though (The exit is sealed), so you have to stand ground and try to survive (still shooting frantically).

It's impossible to play Halo 2 Legendary just by shooting and charging, especially when there are snipers and you are on co-op.

But looking at the Resistance screens and clips does remind me of Halo. Not sure what difficulty level was shown, but on cursory look, the feel is there. I didn't see "Halo jump" though. Is it toned down in FoM ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the hype at all for the GFX in this game. If GOW and HS are 9/10 for next gen graphics, this is like a 7 at best. It looks on par with stuff liike COD3, and worse than stuff like BIA: HH or Rainbow Six Vegas. Very very average in imo.

I don't understand the hype at all for the GFX in this game. If GOW and HS are 9/10 for next gen graphics, this is like a 7 at best. It looks on par with stuff liike COD3, and worse than stuff like BIA: HH or Rainbow Six Vegas. Very very average in imo.

Sir, visit the nearest eye doctor immediately. ;)

Back