Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

When I saw pictures of the scenes you see in motion at 2:37, I initially thought that they were just concept art ... Cool to see them in motion. :oops:

It's a shame that the motion sensor part of the devkit has come out so late at this stage - I would have loved to see how much you can do with it in an FPS setting in terms of looking around and such. I predict in the near future you'll be able to evade bullets just by ducking using the controller.

Here is I think a place where the PS3 controller can outshine the Wii, as you have a lot more input channels that you can use for some very extensive controls (and coupled to some tight hardware of course ;) ). Mind you, the Wii stuff has certainly a bigger chance to appeal to a wide audience as game is becoming more and more mainstream. But hopefully there are also enough die-hards. ;)

old e3 shot
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/709/709892/resistance-fall-of-man-20060523095907600.jpg

I think it really depends on the scene. Most scenes have ambient lighting so shadows are less noticable, and others that have directional lighting will have the very noticable shadows.

Of course its no self shadowing or doom3 type stuff, but I don't think its anything to complain about.

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/41261420060619_225202_9_big.jpg

EDIT: Damn broken link. Anyway, that SS had a scene with a light in a hallway with some boxes. The shadows of the boxes went TOWARDS the light.

Yeah... I'm very unimpressed with the lighting in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to be fair, most of those old screen shots are of an old build (even the screen I linked to). All before they put the polishing and lighting in according to Insomniac. The new gamespot video I'm unsure about the date of the build the game was in, but its definately a newer build since e3.

That said, I can't say I'm impressed with the lighting, but I'm not really complaining either. For a launch title I think it looks rather good. And even more fun to play.

the game is mine at launch, but lighting does seem static....
the flashlight seems to only "up the brightness" of the objects and they dont cast a shadow when so (like the latest hl2 ep2 video)

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

:oops: that looks f'in great!

I must say that after watching the HD trailer I'm just amazed at the sharpness, especially also in the draw distance, and the incredible amount of things happening on screen, effects and so on. I went on and looked at some other trailers of other games, and although some of those games have great and tasteful art-direction (Band of Brothers looks great), in terms of the amount of graphics and detail going on at this steady framerate, I think this game compares very, very well.

Right now I agree that the only let-down comparatively is the amount of lighting effects. Here, a game like Splinter Cell 4 really seems to stand out. But looking at Gears of War for instance, it's striking how there all the effects, like smoke and so on, have to disappear in only a few seconds, where in Resistance they linger, and they're far from the only effects happening, not to mention all the physics stuff added into the mix. I managed to stop the movie during two of the spike bomb explosions and follow some of those spikes, great stuff. Also noted that there are really a lot of different textures being used.

I am deeply impressed by this game, I must say.

Wow , this is a old build apparently.

yep according to Insomniac
The gamespot build was after the PSM build, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT: Yes, and before the MTV build

edit:
theres a showing of an updated build going on today with several websites/reporters, we should hear about it later in the week.

Those Pics look pretty good. Old build. Maybe they will fix lighting and groud textures.

It's kind of weird how they have such good normal-mapping on the enemies but the shadows are in the wrong direction. This supposedly is the pre-MTV build so we'll see, hopefully some of this stuff will be fixed in the build being show on tuesday.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729630p1.html
Team interview with IGN, 4 pages long. :D

IGN: The game's tech specs have been a frequent topic of discussion. So that said, what level of HD will it run in (720p, 1080i, 1080p), what's the final framerate, and what sort of audio codec have you decided to support?

Al Hastings, Chief Technology Officer:
Our intention is to support all HD modes including 1080p. The framerate will be locked at 30 frames per second in both single-player and multiplayer. We use a number of different codecs internally including AC3 and ATRAC3 depending on what's best suited to each particular case. The highest quality output format our game supports is 7.1 uncompressed over HDMI.

welcome to the forums Kittonwy. :)

I loved Ratchet and Clank on the PS2. Despite their overally kiddy feel, they offered some really brilliant and FUN gameplay, so it's nice to see that Resistance looks to be turning out so well. I was kind of dissapointed that they dropped the frame-rate to 30fps, but given the added benefits, and a crazy number of people in online play (40), I'd say it's worth it.

Only about 20 more days till TGS:D

Honestly, I'm starting to become more and more sold on the PS3 everyday.

By the way, does anyone know where I can download a free HD version of the trailer? The official site seems to be busted.

this game looks better with each viewing,
interesting this is launching about the same time as xb360's gow, itll be interesting to see which gets the best reviews + has the better graphics.

this game looks better with each viewing,
interesting this is launching about the same time as xb360's gow, itll be interesting to see which gets the best reviews + has the better graphics.

AMAZING what some good marketing can do huh..? Basically they just explain the game and nothing more. Those screens are from some older build b.t.w. The absolute best GOW version I've seen was that X05 cam vid from last year..(probably running on some uber PC) BOTH games don't seem to rely on great lighting and shadowing (as of yet)

Heh..I kinda like this game too.

I really want to see a new build of this game, with the lighting bugs fixed.

It's kind of weird how they have such good normal-mapping on the enemies but the shadows are in the wrong direction. This supposedly is the pre-MTV build so we'll see, hopefully some of this stuff will be fixed in the build being show on tuesday.

Hey welcome to the boards Kittonwy :D

How many days left before you are back at gaf?

AMAZING what some good marketing can do huh..? Basically they just explain the game and nothing more. Those screens are from some older build b.t.w. The absolute best GOW version I've seen was that X05 cam vid from last year..(probably running on some uber PC) BOTH games don't seem to rely on great lighting and shadowing (as of yet)
hit the nail on the head, gow gets worse visually with each viewing yet gets praised heaps due to the huge hype campaign, a classic case of 'emperor new clothes'

I just don't think this game looks that great. Textures are low detail, low resolution, and there was screen-tearing all over the place in that demo.

Call of Duty 2 on a high-end PC outshines this by a mile. It has even better smoke effects that linger over the battlefield and look much more detailed/real than what was shown here.

Back