Resident Evil 1 Remake Remastered

About time a survival horror game with actual gameplay in it comes around again. The running-away-simulator fad is seriously getting old.

Evil Within takes priority for me, but I will most surely get this when price goes a little down. However, HD remake of RE2 will be instant purchase for me!

The gamecube remastered version is already really, really good IMO.

But just for the improved controls and HDMI digital quality, this one, if really with remastered assets, could be tempting.

Plz don't do a cheap HD port like RE4 on PS3!!

About time a survival horror game with actual gameplay in it comes around again. The running-away-simulator fad is seriously getting old.

Hmmm, I don't know. I replayed this a few months back - I'd forgotten about the video work in it - but the controls were awful.

Utterly awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

This game will have both traditional tank controls and new easier controls where player will move in the direction of the stick movement.

Hmmm, I don't know. I replayed this a few months back - I'd forgotten about the video work in it - but the controls were awful.

Utterly awful.

Are you talking about RE1 Remake?

edit: it's going to be "weird" that Chris and Jill will once again appear like vulnerable human beings. I am playing RE6 and the game is a generic shooter. Gone is everything that made RE a pinnacle of survival horror. Chris and pretty much everyone are supercharged cocaine sniffing martial artists, pumped with steroids and probably injected with Chuck Norris genes.

I dont know what Capcom was thinking to go with that route. Dead Space proved that your character doesnt need to be powerful to make the game modern. Last of Us proved that too.

Its great and at the same time a bit ironic that they are bringing the original back. It showcases clearly the large contradiction between the old and new versions of the same characters as well as all the wrong directions they took as the franchise matured. Quite remarkable that the company omitted or forgot completely the background and personalities of the characters only to modernize the franchise in hope that it would cater with the "shooter" fans. But in the process they destroyed everything that made the franchise unique, provided reason for a purchase and memorable moments. RE6 was almost like a Gears of War dressed with Resident Evil accessories.

We ve got a stressful Chris who could barely fight a single zombie without ammo and died after a few injuries vs a fearless terminator Chris who could punch huge rocks with his fist, tear apart monsters with his bare hands and gobble a tiny herb tablet to revive from explosions, bullets, swords, fire, fangs....(insert lethal causes of death)

This is great news IMO. I have the GC version and it was very good all things considered. Sadly the GC didn't have HDMI out so the visuals were limited. This new HD version should be very good. Hopefully we'll see Resident Evil Zero as well.

Utterly awful.

Maybe. My point was that there was actual gameplay in it besides wandering around dark hallways and hiding in a closet every now and then when a scripted boogeyman popped up. There were puzzles, there was resource management, and there was combat against a variety of enemies.

I'm not clamoring for a return of antiquated control methods here. Just for a return of games with a little more mechanical depth. Something that used to be fun to master and not just finish once and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe. My point was that there was actual gameplay in it besides wandering around dark hallways and hiding in a closet every now and then when a scripted boogeyman popped up. There were puzzles, there was resource management, and there was combat against a variety of enemies.

I'm not clamoring for a return of antiquated control methods here. Just for a return of games with a little more mechanical depth. Something that used to be fun to master and not just finish once and be done with it.

I love you...not in an erotic way

I'm curious about the backgrounds. Will they simply blow up the existing GC assets to 1080p using a cheap image filtering method? Did they possess the forsight to render them out at a much higher resolution even back in the day? Or are they going to re-render them?

Are you talking about RE1 Remake?

No, the original PlayStation game.

EDIT: And now I've just realised this is the remake. Which I've ever heard of!! :oops:

Maybe. My point was that there was actual gameplay in it besides wandering around dark hallways and hiding in a closet every now and then when a scripted boogeyman popped up.

The original is still terrifying but part of that is because you are so vulnerable because the controls are so awful. If the controls are modernised, i.e. so it's easy to move (without having to rotate like a tank), aim and fire (independently) at the same time, you will completely remove most of the threat from the enemies in the game.

If you still have the original kicking around, put it on and you'll see what I mean.

The original is still terrifying but part of that is because you are so vulnerable because the controls are so awful. If the controls are modernised, i.e. so it's easy to move (without having to rotate like a tank), aim and fire (independently) at the same time, you will completely remove most of the threat from the enemies in the game.

If you still have the original kicking around, put it on and you'll see what I mean.

Where did they say that you can move and shoot at the same time now?
Anyway there are still many game at today like TLOUS that use cheap "tricks" to make things difficult for the payer.

Where did they say that you can move and shoot at the same time now?
Nowhere, I didn't say this either. Re-read it.
Anyway there are still many game at today like TLOUS that use cheap "tricks" to make things difficult for the payer.
TLOUS?

I'm curious about the backgrounds. Will they simply blow up the existing GC assets to 1080p using a cheap image filtering method? Did they possess the forsight to render them out at a much higher resolution even back in the day? Or are they going to re-render them?
Blow up it seems. No buy for tuna then.

I prefer it this way. Re-rendering them at hi-res would only make all the seems really obvious. Plus adds a bit to the grit of the game.

The big takeaway from this is that REmake is no longer restricted to be played on Gamecube only (and Dolphin). Even if not fully remastered it's the best RE so fa. That counts.

How widescreen works:

jpgzru89.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Some backgrounds in RE0 worked like that.

Comparison, now and then:
announcementscreen011oeu9d.jpg

bio_r_ss06_l0pu6l.jpg

Doesn't look like a straight up-res to me. There's some detail in some areas where there was none before.

famitsuhd4jki8.jpg

Back