Rendering in HD resolutions - worth it?

Forcing developers to render in HD resolution is a good thing!

• Yes

Votes: 85 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I hate polls, but I want to see the results!

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
wco81 said:
If that's true, then the premise of this poll is moot, no?:p

No, because that's not what the poll is about, that was just used as an example as to why some people may choose that true HD support is not necessary to require.

If PGR3 is not 720p, it shows that the "mandatory" 720p policy isn't so mandatory.

Also, weren't there other games which also didn't seem to be 720p?

wco81 said:
If PGR3 is not 720p, it shows that the "mandatory" 720p policy isn't so mandatory.
720p output or 720p rendering?

Anyway, HD is worth it. But mandatory? I don't know. In some ways, it saves us from developers who can't get their graphical act together enough to make a good looking game. But then, a mandatory 720p may just make the rest suck more.

I voted yes as the thread title asked if HD rendering was a good thing.

I would have voted no if I understood the poll was actually about whether devs should be 'forced' to go HD or not.

I don't like the resolution requirement because some devs will likely sacrifice framerate to hit it. I'd rather have a framerate requirement, like minimum 25fps average, with 480p/FSAA as a minimum resolution. If you can do your graphics in HD, great, but don't sacrifice framerate to get there.

Powderkeg said:
720p output, rendered internally at 1024X600.
I know. I'm pointing out the difference to wco81. All X360 games will output at 720p. But that doesn't mean they all render at 720p.

If the long time lurker may be allowed to crawl out from under his rock... ;)

The output will be 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i depending on the dashboard settings. What it renders at internally was thought to be 720p or higher until yesterday (if true).

A technicality I know... I'll crawl back under my rock. :LOL:

Powderkeg said:
720p output, rendered internally at 1024X600.

If this is true, then it shows MS is being flexible with the requirements for their launch titles. This is a good thing.

So it looks like they're doing things right, implement a reasonable minimum standard and give some sort of grace period where they will allow dev's some leeway.

Inane_Dork said:
I know. I'm pointing out the difference to wco81. All X360 games will output at 720p. But that doesn't mean they all render at 720p.

BUt then all games could be upscaled 480p and the entire promise of HD is completely empty. The 720p minimum means rendered internally at 720p obviously, otherwise it's a load of BS IMO.

scooby_dooby said:
BUt then all games could be upscaled 480p and the entire promise of HD is completely empty. The 720p minimum means rendered internally at 720p obviously, otherwise it's a load of BS IMO.

If anything, we'd want it rendered at 1080p and output at 720p to get free AA.

Plus ATI would say Xenos could render 1080p.

scooby_dooby said:
I don't know what, exactly, MS's policy is on this. And if I did, I surely wouldn't be allowed to tell you. 480p upscaled may be okay. It might not. I don't know.

a big NO. forcing resolution requirements onto the devs that prevent them from using the hw's performance sweet spot is a practice that only mindles marketing drones in big, idiotic corporations can impose. in Xenos' case mandatory 720p would have been ok if the framebuffer was capable of accomodating for it. which is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
wco81 said:
If anything, we'd want it rendered at 1080p and output at 720p to get free AA.

Plus ATI would say Xenos could render 1080p.
1080p is over 2x the pixels of 720p. So for an average 40% performance hit you'll get 2x SSAA. For far less cost you can get 4X MSAA and 8X AF. So unless you're able to display at 1080p I can't see the draw behind rendering at such a resolution.

if HD-rendering was a requirement for X2 and PS3 and then Rev came out without that requirement, Rev could be the graphical king for SD TV owners, ie most of the world, despite the cheaper hardware.

The 720p minimum means rendered internally at 720p obviously, otherwise it's a load of BS IMO.

You mean, kind of like if "66 million polygons per second" doesn't mean "fully textured and lit in an in-game situation," it's BS? Because a console manufacturer would never do something like that!

Faf said at GAF they may have had a choice between 720p or 600p and 2XAA, and decided the latter looked better.

Too me this could just shift the advantage of EDRAM. Allowing lower res with free AA. The end result might still be better looking games in a way Sony cant match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Different

fearsomepirate said:
You mean, kind of like if "66 million polygons per second" doesn't mean "fully textured and lit in an in-game situation," it's BS? Because a console manufacturer would never do something like that!

That is very different.

720P with free 4xAA is promised resolution of Xbox360 games, 66 Million polygons was never promised polygon count for PS2 games, only a hardware spec like 500 Million polygon per second spec for Xbox360..

As for Xbox360, I think if 60fps can be achieved by having 480P instead of 720P, then 60fps is better. Most people still have non-HD TV and even for few with HDTVs progressive scan DVD output looks good.

PGRs lower interneral resolution rendering is expected, after all the first x-box upscaled. x-box could NOT render @ 720p even though games ( such as soul caliber ) were in 720p.

In the original x-box its encoder chip ( A conexant ) only has a maxinum input resolution of 1024x768, so all the x-box games that claimed to 720p + are upscaled.
xboxchipconexant.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20020204/xbox-09.html

I expect many 360 games to follow suit aswel.

Back