Red Dead Redemption

I think they really nailed the mission structure of this game. My first 10 hours of the game had me thinking that the main mission seemed a little thin in comparison to something like GTA4. While the area is a good size it seemed pretty sparse. It seems like the gameplay wouldn't be as full featured as your typical GTA.

But the more I played the game, the more I realized that the game packs a ton of side mission play. I find the (?) mission more intriguing then the the main missions as they help provide a deeper look the life into New Austin itself. Plus they tend to be short and sweet and pretty diverse. The mastering mission seems to do a very good job as providing players with diversions when wanting to do more than main missions
(I wondering how I am going to pull off killing three bears in one shot.
). Taking account the random encounters and set piece based encounters and the game has a lot of meat to it.

I haven't made into Mexico yet, I may feel differently as some say the game gets boring. But I've already had the opportunity to cross into Mexico like 5 gameplay hours ago and I'm still trying to tie up loose ends and make sure I've fully experience the vast majority of what New Austin has to offer.

The games does little of things without giving you a clue that they are possible. I didn't expect you could jump from off a balconey right onto your horse, but I tried and it worked. Nor did I know there were special kill animations. Other games would have readily shown that ability up front to show how fully featured they are but RRD seems to allow a little exploration to some of the little nuances to the gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got to Mexico yet but I watched my wife head into Mexico yesterday and damn it's even more gorgeous to behold than New Austin. They did a magnificent job on the epic landscapes.

I read that Max Payne 3 will use the Rage engine with the same Euphoria physics on top of their internal physics. Dead Eye looks fantastic in RDR, so I'm guessing that will translate well to Max Payne 3. And I don't think any game has more convincing physics based deaths than RDR, so that should translate as well.

does it use Euphoria?

Euphoria is amazing to me in this title and backbreaker too

Backbreaker is the most amazing display of physics blended with animation this gen, bar none. RDR would be second. The common ground is Euphoria. For pure animation, probably Uncharted 2.

Is there a reason why I'm experiencing somewhat severe eye strain while playing this game for more than half an hour? It's not the first or last time I've played a sub-HD game but this is a first. Sort of anyway, since I experienced a similar issue with MGS3.

Backbreaker is the most amazing display of physics blended with animation this gen, bar none. RDR would be second. The common ground is Euphoria. For pure animation, probably Uncharted 2.

Killzone 2 has fantastic animation too (AI driven animation). ^_^
[size=-2]"The ballet of death"[/size]

Is there a reason why I'm experiencing somewhat severe eye strain while playing this game for more than half an hour? It's not the first or last time I've played a sub-HD game but this is a first. Sort of anyway, since I experienced a similar issue with MGS3.

Probably because you are playing in the dark??

Not at all. It's odd and gradual, starting with dryness which causes blurring and my drops don't help for long. I just finished watching a movie and my eyes are fine now.

I guess it's one of those odd cases as was the case with MGS3. I'll borrow a friend's 360 and check out that version soon.

So far:

great game+great graphics (for me, the best I have seen on ol' Xbox360 so far: sometimes vistas+sun+lightning look breath taking sensational)

best thing: although it is open world, I did not get bored for one second up to now, checkpoint system is superb up to now, nothing to complain with respect to gamedesign.

the only thing I could (if I should) complain: combat is a little bit stiff compared for instance to UC2, but it is how this game plays so no real complain - but, like others mentioned here, enemy AI is rather passive...making shoot outs rather easy (of course, as long as you don't try to rush 5 guys ;))

Seems that I had a minor infection in my right eye.. :p

Anyway, I finished the story but there is a lot more to be done in the world. Really bummed me out though :cry: The animations and indeed lighting floored me at times, and it really looked and felt like a living, breathing world. It's still a fine looking game on the PS3 for sure.

I had issues with the AI in general and despite the great audio design, boars and bears somehow turned into nature's ninjas :LOL:

Seems that I had a minor infection in my right eye.. :p

Anyway, I finished the story but there is a lot more to be done in the world. Really bummed me out though :cry: The animations and indeed lighting floored me at times, and it really looked and felt like a living, breathing world. It's still a fine looking game on the PS3 for sure.

I had issues with the AI in general and despite the great audio design, boars and bears somehow turned into nature's ninjas :LOL:

How long does the main story last?

Just got the game last night. Evidently the wife has been looking for it since release and the 360 version has been sold out(4 Walmarts, 1 Target, 1 Best Buy, 2 GameStops, & 4 local used game stores). The PS3 version has been available though. She finally found 1 copy that came in yesterday at a Walmart.

The game is amazing to look at & the world size is incredible. I think I could spend weeks just hunting or playing the sidequests. I've got to remember to get back to the story. LOL I know what I'll be doing tonight & the weekend. Love it!

Tommy McClain

How long does the main story last?

there are 57 story missions and consensus is about 20+ hours to run through (with some fast travel). Missions are also replayable from menu at anytime with time completed stats.

If you do the many other free roam adventures and stranger missions and outfit gathering and bounty missions and gang hideouts as well as interact in the random events and ride and hunt much more than fast travel, you can easily spend 100 hours. :cool:

I've found I use fast travel less and less as I play. I started using it originally after I got the improved campsite, and used the carriages occasionally, but now I prefer riding across the landscapes.

20-25 hours sounds about right, but there is a LOT more to be done in-game afterward as well. You can do those side quests and mini games during your first run if you like though.

I was in a bit of a rush to finish the story, that's all.

Not at all. It's odd and gradual, starting with dryness which causes blurring and my drops don't help for long. I just finished watching a movie and my eyes are fine now.

I guess it's one of those odd cases as was the case with MGS3. I'll borrow a friend's 360 and check out that version soon.

Blink more..

Back