RE 4 Impressions..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny Awesome said:
As far as inflated score: Sure, but Halo went on to sell 5 million copies and people still play it to this day, so the public obviously agreed with thos scores. For Metroid Prime, the game fell quickly off sales charts after the initial hype and Nintendo hardcore fan buying frenzy. The reason: It wasn't as great as it scored.

Or maybe it had something to do with multiplayer? I sure thought Metroid Prime was tons better than Halo but sure wasn't playing Metroid Prime for others to watch me. You get a lot of word of mouth when a game is played multiplayer. And if you want talk about overrated I have to say GTA is a far overrated series than MP or Halo but sells great :p

Halo sold well becuase it was a good game. you may not agree, but then again that doesn't matter much. I think you're getting way too defensive. As usual. If you don't agree with him then fine.

Halo sold well becuase it was a good game. you may not agree, but then again that doesn't matter much. I think you're getting way too defensive. As usual. If you don't agree with him then fine.

As I already said Halo sold for many reasons, including great reviews. Meaning it was a great game, I don't and have never denied that. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a great game for the majority of people. So I really don't know why your saying that to me, I think your mis-reading my posts, as usual. All I said was that sales obviously do not automatically decide how good a game is. The fact that Metroid Prime didn't sell as well as Halo does not make it a worse game, nor does it make its reviews innacurate as Johnny suggests. Your words would be much better served if they were aimed in Mr Awesome's direction :)

Listen, let's try to keep things civil.

I'm just saying that Metroid Prime being rated the 4th best game of all time at gamerankings.com seems a little overblown, don't you think?

This is all IMO: Resident Evil has always had terrible controls IMO. RE4 didn't go very fall at all in remedying that problem IMO. Reviewers overlooked this problem. Most of them indicated this in reviews. To me, control is integral to gameplay. Why would reviewers overlook something integral to gameplay? Who knows the truth, but IMO it's nostalgia and the arrival of something finally worth playing for the masses on the Cube that they can promote to help the Cube out, which is afterall their first console love since that is why they took the job in the first place.

Listen, it's not like I'm arguing that RE4 is a bad game. It's clearly 9/10 material, just not 9.8/10 material IMO. And 9/10 - 1 for my personal pet peeve with the controls = 8/10. Which means I'll buy it when it's $20. That's just me. Call me crazy. :p

Listen, it's not like I'm arguing that RE4 is a bad game. It's clearly 9/10 material, just not 9.8/10 material IMO. And 9/10 - 1 for my personal pet peeve with the controls = 8/10. Which means I'll buy it when it's $20. That's just me. Call me crazy.
the controls are fine to me , better than the gta 3 controls .

While there are a fw things i would have changed , i can say that about every game i ever played .

This game is easily on par with gta 3 series , halo series and mgs sieres and it deserves these scores .

You may think Metroid Prime is not the 4th best game. I don't think Halo is the 7th best, nowhere near. I think its not right that either of those games are ahead of Fallout and Fallout 2. But do you see me or anyone esle trying to claim that people lied and exagerated Halo reviews and that's the only reason it got great reviews? Or that Fallout got a hatchet job from the press who deliberately gave it poor scores for some reason. No of course not, because that kind of thing is just irrational bitterness.

As for RE4 controls. Firstly you say RE4 doesn't go far in making the game control better, yet you have never played the game! So you have no idea if it has or hasn't. Reviewers are not overlooking any problem. Each review I have seen explains that despite the core movement of the character being the same as past games the new camera system completely changes the way the controls work. The quote you took from IGN even said that. Its no good saying that the movement is the same so the controls are no better, because your just deliberately ignoring the facts if you do that. You hated the controls in past RE games and I can understand that. I wasn't so crazy about them either. But clearly the controls are far better in RE4.

Who knows the truth, but IMO it's nostalgia and the arrival of something finally worth playing for the masses on the Cube that they can promote to help the Cube out, which is afterall their first console love since that is why they took the job in the first place.

All of a sudden you seem to only be talking about IGN.Cube (although I hardly think Mat Casamasina's first console love is GC...), but what about all the other reviews? Other none console specific reviewers have given the game higher scores then IGN. GameSpot's Greg Kasavin, who is in no way asscociated with Nintendo or GC and is known to be one of the toughest reviewers on the net, gave RE4 96%.

Why has this thread degenerated from "RE4 impressions" to "Johnny Awesome versus Teasy" (or "GCN vs Xbox")?

Johnny.. go spend the $~5~ and just rent the damned game to see how you like it.

Teasy.. don't argue with Johnny because he's Steve Ballmer's lapdog and he can't understand the words you are saying.

As for me, I haven't gotten the game yet.

Pre-ordered last year; should be here by the end of the week. Not that I have time for it. Still working on Metroid Prime 2 (which took me a month to get to) Halo 2 (only one level in, still) and I'd love to start Prince of Persia 2 (Xbox)..

RE4 might have to wait until February anyway..

Here are a few quotes from RE4 reviews on controls (at least its totally on topic for this thread anyway :)):

IGN

Bringing both gameplay types together is a control scheme that for the most part remains disappointingly unchanged from previous Resident Evil games. Kennedy is manipulated minus true analog control. Push the analog stick and he walks. Hold the B button down and he runs. Same as it ever was. Also, in our play experience with the game it became abundantly clear that many of the battles would have benefited from a dodge or strafe function, which Capcom has chosen not to include. And yet, despite all of this, the process of controlling Leon is far improved thanks to a combination of a flexible new camera that shoots the action from behind the character's back and a new action button that enables context-sensitive functionality.

Because the view remains behind Leon at all times, that momentary sense of disorientation that accompanied entering a new room in former survival horror games is thankfully absent.

GameSpot:

Despite Resident Evil 4's unique controls and perspective, it's easy to come to grips with how the game is played. In fact, it might leave you wondering why it took someone so long to pull off a game in this fashion, because the controls and perspective work so well.

GameSpy:

While much of the control scheme has been lifted directly from previous Resident Evil titles -- including the way the analog stick affects Leon, the use of the R-trigger to ready a weapon, in addition to the inclusion of a run button, a quick turn, and an action button -- each function has been quickened and refined for ease of use.

1UP:

In previous RE games, the camera took a fixed position in every room a player entered, which caused problems for many players because the controls required them to push up on their controller to move in the direction the character was facing. In a camera setup where the character is constantly changing positions on the screen, this kind of setup can be awkward, forcing the player to think about where to move before actually doing it. For RE4, Capcom hasn't drastically changed the controls, but because of a new camera that locks itself behind the player instead of in some peripheral location, these controls are now much less of a hassle. To go forward, you still push up on the analog stick, but because you are looking at the character's back, this is now an intuitive way to move around.

GamePro:

RE was frequently frustrating due to the limits on the play system, but not here. Characters can vault over rails, jump through windows, and even engage in hand-to-hand fighting when dry on ammunition. Interwoven into the play mechanics are Action Button sequencestwitch-finger situations where you must press the button prompt that appears onscreen (two buttons simultaneously, or one button rapidly).

Johnny Awesome said:
Listen, let's try to keep things civil.

I'm just saying that Metroid Prime being rated the 4th best game of all time at gamerankings.com seems a little overblown, don't you think?

This is all IMO: Resident Evil has always had terrible controls IMO. RE4 didn't go very fall at all in remedying that problem IMO. Reviewers overlooked this problem. Most of them indicated this in reviews. To me, control is integral to gameplay. Why would reviewers overlook something integral to gameplay? Who knows the truth, but IMO it's nostalgia and the arrival of something finally worth playing for the masses on the Cube that they can promote to help the Cube out, which is afterall their first console love since that is why they took the job in the first place.

Listen, it's not like I'm arguing that RE4 is a bad game. It's clearly 9/10 material, just not 9.8/10 material IMO. And 9/10 - 1 for my personal pet peeve with the controls = 8/10. Which means I'll buy it when it's $20. That's just me. Call me crazy. :p

RE4's camera always follows the player though, and that really goes a long way to making the control problems almost nonexistent. Probably better than Shenmue's controls. You seem to be able to turn better in this RE than the other ones too, I don't recall having to run down an entire halwall before being able to cross from one side to the other like in the previous res.

Johnny Awesome said:
I just don't think this game is going to be all that great with these problems that have always bugged me before. This might be a case like Metroid Prime where hardcore reviewers have just overshot like crazy on the review scores despite the inherent control and gameplay problems. They really want Nintendo to score a big win so they inflate the scores. All IMO, of course.

Huh? :?:

Have you played RE4? Then how in the world can you begin to accuse a (reputable) game review site of inflating a score to make a system "score a big win"? The GCN already had a big score in the last couple months (namely MP2, Paper Mario, and Pikmin 2).

Johnny, you know there are good games "outside the box", right? Not every score is overinflated to make the system look better than it is.

Johnny, if you want people to take your points a little more seriously you should try to be a little more objective and thoughtful. Suggesting that reviewers have alterior motives, without playing the game and verifying the game review's overall accuracy yourself, is very narrow sighted (didn't want to use fanboy). Also, please consider that just because you do not like a game does not mean it is good. I am VERY picky about games I enjoy, but I can spot a good game (whether I like it or not) pretty easily. Being able to make a difference between quality and preference is important when being objective. Just a friendly suggestion.

Btw, there are a lot of gamers who do not want/cannot deal with super complicated controlers. I am not one of them mind you, but I am aware of this strange breeds existance. When I have lan parties, go to Xbox parties, or have people over and play I usually squash other gamers. While a lot of hard core gamers really like having 20 buttons, 2 analog sticks with buttons on them, and so forth, this does make certain games (like FPS view games) a lot less approachable. If a game, like MP or RE4, can get away with using a few less buttons without hindering the gameplay experience that is a good thing. This means more people will get to play the game and enjoy it (and not spending the entire gaming period frustrated at the controls), and no one is hurt. I will be the first to admitt I would have loved a more tradition FPS style in MP, BUT I do not think the game was hurt not having it. The lack of standard FPS controls did not hurt the game, it only made me adjust. If you want to be strong headed it can be an issue, but it is more of an issue with the gamer and not the game.

I think you are a nice guy Johnny, but there is no need to accuse GCN reviewers of inflating a games score because you read one thing you did not like. Just a thought :)

Teasy said:
Here are a few quotes from RE4 reviews on controls (at least its totally on topic for this thread anyway :)):

Nice quotes Teasy. It seems the consensus from reviewers is that the control scheme does not harm the game. I think this was a good move for Capcom. As a gamer who likes complicated controls, I recognize that if complicated controls are not needed then there is no employing them. Capcom using a more natural and easy to pick up control system means more people can enjoy the game. And that is always a positive. Now if RE4 was Halo, I would be ticked! I need the 6 finger on each hand advantage over my foes! :D

Goldni said:
Whoever said Halo (1&2) along with the GTA series was overrated..let me just say a resounding Amen!

I wouldn't say GTA3 was overrated, maybe many things in it were done in body harvest but gta3 did them 100x better, and did more. However, the minimal upgrades that were vice city and san andreas were overhyped, but hey, tony hawk rode on the hype train for quite some time before his stop was reached.

I don't think halo deserved the hype though. It offered minimal innovation over other fpses(like vice city or san andreas to gta 3), didn't have that great of a single player, or a multiplayer in my opinion. It was merely the best game on the xbox, and the best console shooter of this generation until timesplitters 2 came out.(I still feel goldeneye and perfect dark were better than halo) Halo seemed more to be in the right place at the right time with all the right stuff than anything else. Halo 2 was even worse in the hype though, it promised much and delivered none of it, and really felt like just a retread of halo 1. Completing halo 2 made metroid prime 2 seem like the best thing in the world to me, yet prior to that I had dismissed it as nothing more than just a level expansion to metroid prime.

Well said, Acert. You've stated a great case without being too biased, as I have been along with a few other posters here.

I'm biased, but I know a good game when I play it. Metroid Prime gave me goosebumps at times, it was so good.

I know that not everybody loves the same thing, but when I speak of Halo as an overrated game (which I believe it is, not due to its gameplay which is mostly fine) I don't go accusing the reviewers of "overshooting". Metroid Prime deserves to be in the top 10 reviewed games of all time. A lot more than 10 games deserve to be, but I wouldn't shun Metroid Prime from those elusive ranks.

Halo deserves acclaim, I just didn't think it was even close to as solid as Metroid Prime until a second controller was plugged in. On that note, Metroid Prime 2 is pretty sweet but even it can't quite eclipse the original title.

Johnny: I know you're a smart guy, but the comments you make remind me of a dude from the Cloudchaser forums. His name is Hanzou, and he's articulate but reams Nintendo for the same inane reasons you do. At least I can say that I own an Xbox with about 18 games, as well as a 'Cube with 30+ games. You own 5 (?) GCN titles and apparently have very specific standards as to what constitutes a "buy" on the system. While I have purchased and greatly enjoyed at least 10-15 titles since The Wind Waker (and these are $40-50 purchases, not rentals.. mind you) you claim that only one or two titles have piqued your interest. That's all well and good.

Why do you call GCN's 2004 RPG lineup mediocre, though? Paper Mario 2 was great, and got high marks from the big sites. I finished Tales of Symphonia and it had a lot going for it.. 8.8/10 from IGN. Hardly mediocre, and it took me ~50~ hours. Fable, while fun, disappointed me (only based on the immense hype) and I was done in 14. PM2, about 30.

Johnny Awesome said:

You're crazy. Now please go back to the RE4 reviews thread, and leave this one until you actually have gotten some impressions of the game by playing it, thanks.

Halo is a good game because it sold 5M units and MP is bad because it sold not as many ??

:rolleyes:

ICO is claimed to be the one of the gems of the ps2 library and it sold like shit. Enter the Matrix and Driver 3 sold liike 3M copies.

wazoo said:
Halo is a good game because it sold 5M units and MP is bad because it sold not as many ??

ICO is claimed to be the one of the gems of the ps2 library and it sold like shit. Enter the Matrix and Driver 3 sold liike 3M copies.

They didn't sell that much, but your point still stands, it's pretty sad sometimes.

london-boy said:
wazoo said:

They didn't sell that much, but your point still stands, it's pretty sad sometimes.

They shipped that amount of copies, but a lot of them unsold and returned. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back