RDNA4

Well I mean, your argument here is coming down to "I think it'll be so and so clockspeed because anything less will be disappointing". But Radeon is more often than not, disappointing. I'm not trying to be some hater by saying that, just being realistic.

And Navi 44 at such a tiny size would not likely be some 'next gen' version of the 7600XT, more some even lower level product, maybe even meant primarily for laptops/OEMs. At these stated die sizes, I imagine only N48 would be of interest to the likes of desktop/PC gaming enthusiast types.

I also think they dont need to make some giant leap in performance per mm² in order to release something worthwhile. It would be nice, but any moderate improvement, addressing some of their weaknesses, and keeping the price/economics reasonable, could be plenty. It may not set the world alight, but nobody should be thinking that's what AMD is aiming for here.
I think so too, but the thing AMD should be weary is Intel taking a nice slice of their pie, even NVidia should be in my opinion. While i didn't go for intel this last time i'll be definitely expecting their next mid range product to be quite interesting (from perf/$ and refined/matured drivers), they sure have had the time and resources for it.

All the rumors surrounding RDNA4 so far have been pointing towards nothing special and more of the same, with the high end cancelled being a dead giveaway. My hopes are pined for RDNA5.

Last edited:
This post’s accuracy is not substantiated. Exercise discretion and wait for verified sources before accepting its claims.
What’s wrong with 4?
Nothing, the parts (APUs, Kraken1/2, the OG ones, with Zen5+ and RDNA4.5) just got killed in the name of Execution™ and roadmap realignment.
I also think they dont need to make some giant leap in performance per mm² in order to release something worthwhile
yea they do, that's the strategy.
Gotta win, if you're not winning, you're doing something very wrong.

Stacked 3D cache (made on N6 or N7) would
1) Have cheaper wafer cost per capacity than cache made on N4/N4P
2) Be faster and more energy-efficient than cache on separate die with traditional die-to-die interconnects(RDNA3)
3) Allow making the main die smaller. Cost scaling of die size is superlinear.

Do we have any actual data on how much the v-cache packaging/integration costs?
It does seem like we are right at the edge of it being viable...

N44 is also rumored to be in the same TDP range(<150w) as the CPU introduction with the upper end price range, ~$400.
The other interesting aspect would be if they could use the same Vcache and use a salvaged bin.
If you are going to implement a cache chiplet, go big and use it everywhere you can.

Really the only other option is to beef up the L2 but slim it down compared to IC L3.
Can they get away with 16MB L2 for rumored N44 and 32MB L2 on N48 without performance repercussions?

Well I mean, your argument here is coming down to "I think it'll be so and so clockspeed because anything less will be disappointing". But Radeon is more often than not, disappointing. I'm not trying to be some hater by saying that, just being realistic.
That is pretty disingenuous when I showed the history of clockspeed improvements since 2012... not to mention how close most of RDNA3 was to 3ghz already.
My argument was, "a 20% clockspeed increase isn't an unreasonable expectation" and showed evidence to that.
My OPINION was that if they don't do that as a minimum, to get back on track, that they likely won't be able to catch back up.

Last edited:
It does seem like we are right at the edge of it being viable...
Well the funny Navi4's were indeed 3d and funny!
SoIC isn't mainstream-viable just yet tho.
That is pretty disingenuous when I showed the history of clockspeed improvements since 2012... not to mention how close most of RDNA3 was to 3ghz already.
My argument was, "a 20% clockspeed increase isn't an unreasonable expectation" and showed evidence to that.
My OPINION was that if they don't do that as a minimum, to get back on track, that they likely won't be able to catch back up.
this is the AMD bad forum, don't.
just don't.
you only have to wait 8 more weeks-ish.

And Navi 44 at such a tiny size would not likely be some 'next gen' version of the 7600XT, more some even lower level product, maybe even meant primarily for laptops/OEMs. At these stated die sizes, I imagine only N48 would be of interest to the likes of desktop/PC gaming enthusiast types.

If N44 fails to beat the 7600XT in performance AMD would have been better off shrinking N33 to N4P because that should allow for slightly higher clocks which would mean > 7600XT performance and it would easily fit in 130mm of die area. So yes, N44 should at the bare minimum match the 7600XT given the die size suggested and transistor density of N4P.

I'd call it very close to outlandish, if the 'not outlandish' take requires you to believe that this modern Radeon group is about to pull off the kind of once in a generation lift that they only once achieved decades ago.

I'll give it 'not theoretically impossible' at best. lol It's also not theoretically impossible that Jennifer Love Hewitt will show up to my house this evening for dinner and a cuddle, but I'm not gonna be preparing anything nice just in case, either....

Except it is miles from a once in a generation lift that was only achieved once decades ago.

Vega 10 is 25.3M xtors / mm. N23 is 46.7M xtors / mm. With 85% more density N23 in the 6600XT performs around 20% faster than Vega 64 and the relative die size is 495 vs 237 so less than half. If we again skip a gen like I did there with RDNA 1 then the rumour is that N48 will perform around 7900XT with 240mm of area. This would be 15% ahead of a 6950XT. N21 has a density of 51.5M xtors / mm. We don't know how dense N48/N44 will be but NV have achieved around 120M xtors / mm and AMD have achieved 140M xtors / mm. If I go with the low end of 120M xtors / mm then that represents a density increase of 133%. So with 133% more density do I think top N48 with 240mm can get a 15% performance advantage over the 520mm N21? It would be inline with the Vega 10 to N23 jump and there is a node improvement in there (relatively greater as well) to help it along so it just seems perfectly normal to me.

So no. I don't think it is outlandish at all, it looks to fit well within the expected range. I think the level of pessimism shown far exceeds the amount deserved based on Radeon groups execution record of late. I think the benefit of the doubt afforded to N33 being an RV770 successor has also been lost because RDNA 3 was a stumble but nothing here seems on the face of it outside of the normal range. N48 matching the 4090 OTOH would be outlandish IMO and even matching the 7900XTX would probably be a stretch too far for me just to give an idea of where I see that line.

Another indicator that N48 being around 7900XT performance is not that wild is that a 16GB 64MB cache 7900GRE with OC'd ram can get pretty close. That indicates that bandwidth wise, especially at 1440p, the 21.5gbps N48 ram speed rumour would align with what we can observe.

Vega 10 is 25.3M xtors / mm. N23 is 46.7M xtors / mm. With 85% more density N23 in the 6600XT performs around 20% faster than Vega 64 and the relative die size is 495 vs 237 so less than half. If we again skip a gen like I did there with RDNA 1 then the rumour is that N48 will perform around 7900XT with 240mm of area. This would be 15% ahead of a 6950XT. N21 has a density of 51.5M xtors / mm. We don't know how dense N48/N44 will be but NV have achieved around 120M xtors / mm and AMD have achieved 140M xtors / mm. If I go with the low end of 120M xtors / mm then that represents a density increase of 133%. So with 133% more density do I think top N48 with 240mm can get a 15% performance advantage over the 520mm N21? It would be inline with the Vega 10 to N23 jump and there is a node improvement in there (relatively greater as well) to help it along so it just seems perfectly normal to me.

So no. I don't think it is outlandish at all, it looks to fit well within the expected range. I think the level of pessimism shown far exceeds the amount deserved based on Radeon groups execution record of late. I think the benefit of the doubt afforded to N33 being an RV770 successor has also been lost because RDNA 3 was a stumble but nothing here seems on the face of it outside of the normal range. N48 matching the 4090 OTOH would be outlandish IMO and even matching the 7900XTX would probably be a stretch too far for me just to give an idea of where I see that line.
GF 14nm -> TSMC 7nm provided massive room for improvement that TSMC 5nm->4nm does not. You are also talking a wholesale architectural change from the final squeezings of GCN to 2nd gen RDNA.

If you think RDNA4 is gonna be that kind of leap, go ahead, just dont be surprised if you find yourself once again saying, "Well I got too overhyped".

Well Nvidia were basically parked on the same general clockspeeds all the way from Pascal to Turing to Ampere. These things dont just improve at some set level every generation. There needs to be either a significant process improvement and/or a dedicated level of prioritizing clockspeeds in the architectural design to facilitate it(which can also conflict with a high density design).

If you think RDNA4 is gonna be that kind of leap, go ahead, just dont be surprised if you find yourself once again saying, "Well I got too overhyped".
AMD bad I know.
Can't be good!
You are also talking a wholesale architectural change from the final squeezings of GCN to 2nd gen RDNA.
We're talking a wholesale architectural change from a pretty high-profile failure to something that has execution hammered back in mind.
or a dedicated level of prioritizing clockspeeds in the architectural design to facilitate it(which can also conflict with a high density design).
no shit, they've been doing it since RDNA1.
fmax matters a lot more now that cost per mm^2 yielded goes up each and every node!

GF 14nm -> TSMC 7nm provided massive room for improvement that TSMC 5nm->4nm does not. You are also talking a wholesale architectural change from the final squeezings of GCN to 2nd gen RDNA.

N21/N23 are on N7. N33 is on N6. Using N31/N32 bring with it more variables due to the MCM design of those parts but it can be done. On top of that the density increase from GF14 to N7 is less than the density increase from N6 to N4P. We have seen that AMD can get 140M xtors / mm out of N4 with Hawk Point. We also see NV got 120M xtors / mm out of their modified N5 node. I don't see N44/N48 being much different.

Another way to look at it is to figure out what N32 would be if it was monolithic. Using the locuza annotated N31 + MCD diagram the MCD-GCD PHYs are about 200M transistors each and on the N31 GCD they take up 20mm of die area. If we swap that out for the 32bit GDDR6 PHYs then the GCD die size goes up to about 338mm. If we assume the L3 cache does not scale down from N6 to N5 then that adds another 92mm giving us a die area of 430mm with a transistor count of around 55.4B (58B - 12*200M) and an overall density of 129M xtors / mm which aligns with NVs density and also aligns with Hawk Point density so it looks about right. If we do the same for N32 and take out the 1.6B transistors used in the GCD - MCD PHYs then that would put a monolithic N32 at around 266mm at similar density (which given the cache, logic and IO is very nearly the same ratio on both N31 and N32 shows density should be roughly the same) on N5. 240mm on N4P for a very similar spec with a clock bump sounds exactly like N23 to N33 to me so that fits with that method as well.

Further we already know manually tuned 7800XT's can match AIB 7900GREs and a manually tuned 7900GRE can get pretty close to the 7900XT despite the bandwidth deficit so another simple look shows that RDNA 3 can already get this kind of performance with a few tweaks.

When we have 3/4 admittedly simple methods to estimate performance and none of them throw any red flags it feels like extreme pessimism to suspect less and while the Radeon group did not deliver with RDNA 3 they did with RDNA 1 and RDNA 2 so its not like their recent history is failure after failure. It was like this with RDNA 2 where a lot of people were expecting 2080Ti ish performance when all the signs (tdp scaling, transistor count scaling, clock speed scaling) all pointed towards an N21 chip that would be about 2x the perf of N10 and that is exactly what we got.

As for clockspeeds RDNA 3 already clocks really high if you give it the juice. Question is can AMD sort out the amount of power required to clock that high? I don't know but the architecture design itself does not seem to be holding it back so I don't see why not. Zen 4 had a huge clock speed uplift over Zen 3 so in some ways the lack of an uplift from RDNA 2 to RDNA 3 is more surprising than a 20/30% bump would be given what AMD did on the CPU side when moving from N7 to N5. RDNA 3 kinda feels like Fermi, hopefully RDNA 4 is like Fermi 2 and puts right what held RDNA 3 back.

AMD bad I know.
Can't be good!

We're talking a wholesale architectural change from a pretty high-profile failure to something that has execution hammered back in mind.

fmax matters a lot more now that cost per mm^2 yielded goes up each and every node!
If you're trying to count me as some AMD basher, you're miles off. Funny how I've been accused of being both an Nvidia and AMD basher here. lol Almost like I'm just neutral and call things how I see them, which upsets these companies' most ardent defenders. I was pretty steadfast in defending RDNA2's potential before it came out among tons of naysayers as well.

I'm optimistic RDNA4 will have some corrections on RDNA3, with the potential of being quite worthwhile, as I've said. There's obviously decent room for improvement. But the gains being touted by some with the rumored specs together seem overoptimistic to me.

Weren't you specifically one of ones pushing on the 'RV770' equivalency claims about RDNA3 before it came out? Cuz I'd say even without its issues, that was still not on the cards.

I mean, I'd argue they've been doing it since Vega, but at the same time, them pushing hard in this area for several generations in a row can also mean the lower hanging fruit are gone now. Without a larger process improvement, I think it's reasonable to be cautious about claims of like 3.2Ghz or more out the box. They still want to ensure they've got the most amount of chips that can hit stated clocks with reasonable voltages.

It was like this with RDNA 2 where a lot of people were expecting 2080Ti ish performance when all the signs (tdp scaling, transistor count scaling, clock speed scaling) all pointed towards an N21 chip that would be about 2x the perf of N10 and that is exactly what we got.
I was absolutely NOT one of those people, though. Quite the opposite. I'm not some blind cynic. I was also mildly optimistic about RDNA3, but that was such a bad flop that it absolutely has shaken my trust in Radeon. There's still areas where Radeon are clearly not on the level with Nvidia as well. Even as good as RDNA2 was, it was most impressive when compared with RDNA1, but there were still reasons to believe AMD was behind Nvidia when it was only more or less comparable with Ampere on a much superior process.

As for everything else, man, it's early evening and I dont feel like sitting here with a calculator making a long post going over every point, but I did want to respond and not just ignore you, so I'll just say again - you can 'math' things out as much as you want, but actual final results are limited by all kinds of things that basic 'spec' mathing isn't gonna account for. Like I said in another post above, there's usually a discrepancy between density and clockspeeds, for instance. Which seems to be rearing its head more often these days with hotspots and whatnot. Getting everything to just linearly add up to what the specs on-paper say they should is super hard.

Cuz I'd say even without its issues, that was still not on the cards.
no it was.
if it clocked like it should. which it will.
8 weeks left!
But the gains being touted by some with the rumored specs together seem overoptimistic to me.
The whole gimmick of how AMD runs their client roadmap is building tiny speed daemon shader cores and spamming them to victory.
A carbon copy of Zen strategy, but hey, it works.
Speaking of Zen, fun times ahead!
them pushing hard in this area for several generations in a row can also mean the lower hanging fruit are gone now.
Ehhh not really.

you can 'math' things out as much as you want, but actual final results are limited by all kinds of things that basic 'spec' mathing isn't gonna account for. Like I said in another post above, there's usually a discrepancy between density and clockspeeds, for instance.

Guessing based on Tflops or even shader counts is notoriously more error prone than transistor count scaling tends to be unless something goes very wrong, which clearly can happen but is not the normal.

We have hawk point as a guide for what AMD can do on N4. 140m xtors / mm with a GPU that can clock to around 3.2Ghz at 1.25v.

I don't think they will reach that density with N44/N48 because of cache / logic / io ratio being less logic biased but 130ish certainly is doable based on N31 and locuzas annotations.

N48 should be around 31B transistors which is close to N32 and more than double N33. If it clocks like N32/N33 the minimum expected performance would be in the region of 7800XT. If it clocks high enough to use 21.5gbps vram then the minimum expected performance is AIB 7900 GRE level.

This kind of PPA would just edge out Ada PPA and Ada PPA has a tensor core penalty since that does not directly aid it when it comes to pure raster.

None of this is working miracles tbh. 4070Ti Super perf give or take with slightly fewer transistors due to no tensor cores and slightly higher density is not working miracles or setting an unrealistic expectation. If AMD fail to hit that mark then RDNA 4 is another dud, one that makes the HD2900 look like a great piece of kit.

Guessing based on Tflops or even shader counts is notoriously more error prone than transistor count scaling tends to be unless something goes very wrong, which clearly can happen but is not the normal.

We have hawk point as a guide for what AMD can do on N4. 140m xtors / mm with a GPU that can clock to around 3.2Ghz at 1.25v.

I don't think they will reach that density with N44/N48 because of cache / logic / io ratio being less logic biased but 130ish certainly is doable based on N31 and locuzas annotations.

N48 should be around 31B transistors which is close to N32 and more than double N33. If it clocks like N32/N33 the minimum expected performance would be in the region of 7800XT. If it clocks high enough to use 21.5gbps vram then the minimum expected performance is AIB 7900 GRE level.

This kind of PPA would just edge out Ada PPA and Ada PPA has a tensor core penalty since that does not directly aid it when it comes to pure raster.

None of this is working miracles tbh. 4070Ti Super perf give or take with slightly fewer transistors due to no tensor cores and slightly higher density is not working miracles or setting an unrealistic expectation. If AMD fail to hit that mark then RDNA 4 is another dud, one that makes the HD2900 look like a great piece of kit.
4070Ti Super is a cut down 379mm² GPU. And you think AMD is gonna actually match that in performance with just 240mm² on more or less the same node? Even the regular 4070Ti is 295mm².

This absolutely would be a nearly miraculous level of improvement in performance per mm² by modern standards.

no it was.
if it clocked like it should. which it will.
8 weeks left!

The whole gimmick of how AMD runs their client roadmap is building tiny speed daemon shader cores and spamming them to victory.
A carbon copy of Zen strategy, but hey, it works.
Speaking of Zen, fun times ahead!

Ehhh not really.
Again, you were one of the people trying to tell us that RDNA3 would be the new 'RV770' moment. Sorry if I dont just take your claims as gospel just because you state them super confidently. I'm not duped like many others by that kind of thing.

4070Ti Super is a cut down 379mm² GPU. And you think AMD is gonna actually match that in performance with just 240mm² on more or less the same node? Even the regular 4070Ti is 295mm².

This absolutely would be a nearly miraculous level of improvement in performance per mm² by modern standards.

I disagree. It would be similar perf/transistor to what N33 already achieves. The outliers really are N31 and N32 for having so little performance for their transistor budget.

The 4080 Super manages to have 1:1 transistor to perf scaling from the 4060. The 6950XT manages the same from the 6600XT (I used these because the TDP ratio of 4060 to 4080S is similar to the 6600XT to 6950XT. 6900XT is just 300W which is less than 2x that of the 6600XT).

The thing is AMD have already delivered the perf/transistor and density to deliver 7900GRE performance in a 240mm envelope. It is not like the claim is beyond what they have already done. This is why I don't get the pessimism because in essence they have already done it, they just need to scale it up to make a bigger part.

I disagree. It would be similar perf/transistor to what N33 already achieves. The outliers really are N31 and N32 for having so little performance for their transistor budget.
Why would you expect a N4 chip to have perf/xtor more in line with N6 than N5?
The 4080 Super manages to have 1:1 transistor to perf scaling from the 4060.
All of which are on the same node. Notably, while the high level architecture is extremely similar except for clocking much higher, they're all worse perf/xtor than Ampere on 8lpp.
The 6950XT manages the same from the 6600XT
Once again, all on the same node.

With 5nm, both Nvidia and AMD saw *huge* gains in transistor density - much more than the headline density figures from TSMC would indicate - but also big regressions in perf/transistor. To me that indicates that the ideal circuit layout for 5nm uses lots of high density transistors, whereas the same circuit on N7 might have used fewer higher performance transistors and/or lots of decap cells.

Don't expect transistors to scale 1:1 with features or performance. You can lay out the same functional circuit with a hugely varying number of transistors of varying density, even on the same node, and what is optimal for one node won't be optimal for another.

Not arguing for any specific performance level of N48, but I'd like to make two observations:

I was also mildly optimistic about RDNA3, but that was such a bad flop that it absolutely has shaken my trust in Radeon.
One of the more counterintuitive findings from statistics is that you should always expect to revert to the mean. If two very tall people have kids, you should expect the kids to be shorter than them. Taller than the average person, but well shorter than their parents, for the simple reason that their parents were outliers and you should expect to revert to the mean.

If a vendor that has done decent generational improvements before, generation N is decent, and N+1 is a real stinker, you should assume that N+2 is closer to a decent improvement over what N+1 should have been instead of what it was. Because if the failure was an outlier, you should expect to revert to the mean. See, for example, NV3x vs NV4x. (Or in the opposite direction, when one generation is an advance much greater than expected, you should expect the generational improvement immediately after that to be much more muted, because if the great advance was an outlier, you should, again, expect reversion to the mean. See G80 and successors.)

on more or less the same node?

Not the same node. N4P is half a shrink over 4N, you get both increased density and substantial perf/watt. You can see this very well on Hopper vs Blackwell.

Why would you expect a N4 chip to have perf/xtor more in line with N6 than N5?

We don't really have an N5 chip from AMD with which to make this comparison because N31/N32 are MCM. The closest is Zen 3 to Zen 4 which saw a 58% transistor count increase deliver 38% more performance in Spec Int nT but some of that budget was spent on AVX 512 where the performance increase is infinite since Zen 3 does not support it so its not quite as cut and dry but lets assume Spec Int is similar to raster and the additional transistors get spent on RT performance improvements just to give us a rough starting point.

That would mean scaling from N21 to a monolithic N5 class design 42.3B transistors should provide about 38% more performance which is inline with the 7900XTX if scaling up from the 6950XT. Issue is the 7900XTX uses 58B transistors. Even if you take off the approx 2.4B transistors used for the MCD GCD phys that would not be needed in a monolithic design it means you would still be at 55.6B transistors which is more than double for just 38% more performance. It is utterly terrible. If we take the 4K delta between the 7900XTX and the 7900XT then it would mean with linear transistor scaling 7900XT performance should be doable in 33.8B transistors if AMD can match the performance to transistor increase ratio of Zen 3 to Zen 4. In 240mm that would need 141M xtors /mm.

I don't even know if that is a valid way to look at is given the differences between CPUs and GPUs but without a monolithic 5nm GPU from AMD as a starting point is the best we have.

I could look at NVs change from Samsungs 8N to their modified 4N. There it took 26% more transistors in AD104 to match GA102 at 1440p (although it does fall behind at 4K). If we start with the 6950XT transistor count and AMD do similar to what NV achieved then to match 6950XT performance it would 33.8B transistors. If we start with N33 then it would take 2x 16.8B transistors to match 2x N33 performance which is 6950XT / 7900GRE level for 33.6B transistors.

All very similar transistor counts for between 7900GRE and 7900XTX performance when scaling based on what has been achieved by other vendors or with other chips. Not sure if it is indicative of anything or if it is coincidental though.

I think what it points to is that for N48 to deliver this kind of performance it does not take a transistor density that AMD have not achieved or a scaling factor that NV / AMD have not managed elsewhere so there is nothing that has not already been done.

If we go back to AMDs prior die shrink it was Vega 10 to Vega 20 where a 5% transistor bump led to a 20% performance improvement. If AMD managed that N44 would be around 14B transistors and perform near the 3070Ti and N48 would be 26B transistors and perform like the 7900XT. The density required for that with the supposed die sizes is just 107M xtors / mm though so AMD look to have density headroom if N4P requires more transistors to hit that kind of performance.

The final way I am going to try and have a look at it here is via N32. A monolithic design here would be in the region of 34.5B transistors if you remove the MCD GCD PHYs. This would require a density of 143.75M xtors / mm to achieve so is on the high end of that spectrum but the real question is do you think if plausible that AMD won't improve perf/transistor vs what N32 achieved? My personal view is if they fail to achieve that Radeon group might as well give up on dGPUs and stick with the CDNA lineup.

All the ways I try and come at this to get to a performance ballpark land me in the 7900GRE to 7900XT performance window at transistor densities that range from just about seems doable to seems pretty easy to do. Now clearly AMD may fail to execute again or Radeon group can fail to achieve what NV / Ryzen group managed to achieve when moving to N5 nodes but that just feels like assigning a level of incompetence to them that I don't think they deserve as yet. They can prove me wrong of course.

Perf per transistor seems like a pretty fragile metric. It doesn't account for power, transistor type (cache vs logic vs IO), off-chip bandwidth or process nuances. Too many variables that can influence performance outside of transistor count. At best it can be used to compare products in the same family / generation.

The 4090 has 2.7x the transistor count of the 3090. Even accounting for the disabled bits, it's clearly nowhere near 2.7x the performance but nobody is claiming the 4090 is on a broken architecture.

Back