Rappers on Talkshows

wireframe

Veteran
First off, I am not really into rap. I hear some that I like and I have liked some in the past (it has changed, right?), like NWA. Basically, I don't think I have anything against the genre, but I think a lot of the artist are crap, much like in pop music. Anyways, every so often there will be a rap artist on Leno or Letterman. Usually I am pleasantly surpsied by how normal these people seem to be compared to their marketed image.

Unfortuantely, at some point in the program we realize they are not just there to be interviewed, but to be the musical act at the end of the show. This is where I normally change the channel. What is it with these rap groups coming across as totally untalented morons on talkshows once they are on the floor to do what it is they do? There definitely seems to be a general problem, with all artists sounding sub-par on these shows, but this really primitive "ohhh" "yeah" "yo...." "yeah". I just look and listen to this and I wonder what the heck is going on. It worries me that these images, along with the sound, are transmitted through space and may be intercepted by civilizations far away.

So, what's the deal here? I know some of these artists and some songs from the radio and I know they can be catchy, but on TV it's like they invited five hobos and told them to pose as the group in question. The songs are hardly recognizable. At least it doesn't sound like professional rappiing. It sounds and looks like someone doing a sarcastic caricature of the band and song.

Back